Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Thrash metal (C4C)(GP5, MIDI)

So, here is a Thrash song I have been working on. The whole song has been built from the "Theme riff", I came up with that riff a while back.

Do you think it sounds tharshy? I am really trying to steer away from metalcore and nu-metal, I am searching for a true 80's thrash tone. Just imagine the song played with overdriven tube amps and lots of mids.

It's still missing the guitar solo (there is a long break, most noticeable in the MIDI file) , and it is kind of a work in progress.

And C4C, of course.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 ThThrsh.gp5 (56.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: mid ThThrsh.mid (54.4 KB, 44 views)

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
EatMyBassLix

Beginning of the Theme riff sounds like the one from Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth coz, well it is basically, dunno about the rest of it :S kinda has that thrashy feel with the bass in it but the rest of the theme riff, im not too convinced about it man.... Riff A is pretty cool tho, maybe a bit fast? it might sound better if i play it myself cus like you said there's not much feel from the RSE in GP, I think Riff A may be the strong point, in MY opinion of course....
EatMyBassLix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyBassLix
Beginning of the Theme riff sounds like the one from Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth coz, well it is basically, dunno about the rest of it :S kinda has that thrashy feel with the bass in it but the rest of the theme riff, im not too convinced about it man.... Riff A is pretty cool tho, maybe a bit fast? it might sound better if i play it myself cus like you said there's not much feel from the RSE in GP, I think Riff A may be the strong point, in MY opinion of course....

Symphony of Destruction? I can play that with guitar, and I am pretty sure there is no such riff in the song. But otherwise, thanks for the crit, I might slow it down a bit.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
QuantumInfinity
Yeay!

Well, the E-String abuse certainly is there but I still can't help but to feel that it's too "tame".
While I'm not quite sure why and what I mean by that, I'll try to figure this out while I'm writing this down ^^

The song starts off with quite a nice intro, the guitar riff sounds cool and then the drums kick in, so far so good. On through the theme which is basically the intro with a driving drum pattern, so far so good. But when the Verse Riff starts I feel a bit weird. The drums still sound pretty much exacty the same, there's almost no cymbal usage, almost no fills, no changes in the bass pattern nor the snare. While somehow I can see how this was the plan, it makes the song sound somewhat dull because you have your guitar riffs heavily based on the theme (which isn't bad in itself, it can still be quite awesome) but I really think you need to spice up the drums a bit and/or maybe put in a little guitar lead part here and there or a modulation on the riffs.
It might sound a tad bit ironic that this is coming from me () but right now, I feel it's too repetitive as a whole and the drums take some of the "thrash-factor", that the guitars could quite possibly establish otherwise, away from the song.

That being said, I know you said that it's a work in progress and I don't know if you are planning to redo some of the drums (e.g. current drums only being like a placeholder), so take that criticism for what it's worth.

Crit me! / C4C
QuantumInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumInfinity
Well, the E-String abuse certainly is there but I still can't help but to feel that it's too "tame".
While I'm not quite sure why and what I mean by that, I'll try to figure this out while I'm writing this down ^^

The song starts off with quite a nice intro, the guitar riff sounds cool and then the drums kick in, so far so good. On through the theme which is basically the intro with a driving drum pattern, so far so good. But when the Verse Riff starts I feel a bit weird. The drums still sound pretty much exacty the same, there's almost no cymbal usage, almost no fills, no changes in the bass pattern nor the snare. While somehow I can see how this was the plan, it makes the song sound somewhat dull because you have your guitar riffs heavily based on the theme (which isn't bad in itself, it can still be quite awesome) but I really think you need to spice up the drums a bit and/or maybe put in a little guitar lead part here and there or a modulation on the riffs.
It might sound a tad bit ironic that this is coming from me () but right now, I feel it's too repetitive as a whole and the drums take some of the "thrash-factor", that the guitars could quite possibly establish otherwise, away from the song.

That being said, I know you said that it's a work in progress and I don't know if you are planning to redo some of the drums (e.g. current drums only being like a placeholder), so take that criticism for what it's worth.

As I said, the guitar solo and the leads are not there yet. And I am no drummer, I usually just stick with some basic backing, with time I might try to upgrade them a bit. And the drums definitely are just a placeholder. .

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
EatMyBassLix

it was just the
PM
3 |----|
1 0 0

that reminded me of the song, :S

having had time to process the theme riff in my head, it could be pretty awesome with some rhythm guitar underneath it, I just think that when I first heard it it sounded a bit 'empty' if you know what I mean? The whole songs starting to grow on me man....
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
EatMyBassLix

when I say rhythm guitar I mean some catchy power chord thing underneath it.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
when I say rhythm guitar I mean some catchy power chord thing underneath it.

That could work, some simple power chord progression under it might be quite cool.

Quote:
it was just the
PM
3 |----|
1 0 0

that reminded me of the song, :S

having had time to process the theme riff in my head, it could be pretty awesome with some rhythm guitar underneath it, I just think that when I first heard it it sounded a bit 'empty' if you know what I mean? The whole songs starting to grow on me man....

There must be tens of thousands of riffs that go like that.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Ligeia x

Cool song. I don't see how that dude thinks your riff is a ripoff of Megadeth.The whole thing is original, and I wish I could hear it on a real guitar. Once you get that solo written out you should post it.
Ligeia x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia x
Cool song. I don't see how that dude thinks your riff is a ripoff of Megadeth.The whole thing is original, and I wish I could hear it on a real guitar. Once you get that solo written out you should post it.

I am buying some recording gear within the month, I'll be sure to post it

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

The song was decent but sounded like a typical staple of thrash. That's all I can really say. I did like the leads/fills you had going on in the verses. Are you a fan of Artillery? Because I was very much reminded of their music when I heard your song.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathedes
The song was decent but sounded like a typical staple of thrash. That's all I can really say. I did like the leads/fills you had going on in the verses. Are you a fan of Artillery? Because I was very much reminded of their music when I heard your song.

No, I haven't really listened to artillery that much, but I'll be doing it now. And it still lacks the vocal and the lead guitar tracks, it'll be somewhat more interesting when it's finished. But thanks for the input

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Rate This Thread: