Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
CaptainCanti
wreakin havoc

12 year old boy shot to death for having bb gun

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boy-carryi...ory?id=27115640

Quote:
A 12-year-old boy who was shot by Cleveland police officers while carrying a replica gun in a park playground has died, hospital officials said today.

The boy, identified by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office as Tamir Rice, died at MetroHealth Medical Center after he was taken there for surgery Saturday afternoon, according to the medical examiner.

Officers were called to the Cudell Recreation Center after receiving reports of the boy waving a gun and pointing it at people, the Cleveland Division of Police said in a statement.

Two officers found Rice in the playground and ordered him to raise his hands, but he instead reached for what the officers thought was a gun in his waistband, police said.

The officers fired twice, hitting the boy in the torso.

Officers learned the gun was fake after the shooting, police said. Made to resemble a semi-automatic pistol, the orange safety indicator had been removed from the "airsoft" replica gun the boy was holding, police said.

The witness who made the initial 911 call to police told the dispatcher that the boy's gun may not have been real and that he was a juvenile, according to audio released by the Cleveland Police Department on Sunday.

I couldn't find any threads on this but holy ****

Last edited by CaptainCanti : 11-24-2014 at 10:49 PM.
CaptainCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
steve_muse
Never had this before

Yeah but what about Ferguson?
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it, but just gonna say, there's a reason the orange tip is on airsoft/BB guns.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Trowzaa
phoot

Shoot first, ask questions later.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
ehbacon
UG's Billie Joe Armstrong

he shouldn't gave died for this but what an idiot for bringing a replica bb gun and pointing it at people. White Black Blue or Purple that's just incredibly stupid.

This is terrible police work, but this doesn't seem like a problem of race. This seems like a problem of stupidity from both parties that unfortunately ended fatally.

Edit: I'm assuming this boy was of a minority other than white because of your post about it in the Ferguson thread.

My soundcloud
My tumblr
My twitter
My facebook

Last edited by ehbacon : 11-24-2014 at 10:40 PM.
ehbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
darrenram1

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about US gun laws but where the **** would a 12 year old get a gun?
darrenram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Dregen
andy, you're a star

hey canti

you forgot about this

Quote:
The witness who made the initial 911 call to police told the dispatcher that the boy's gun may not have been real and that he was a juvenile, according to audio released by the Cleveland Police Department on Sunday.
Dregen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
ehbacon
UG's Billie Joe Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenram1
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about US gun laws but where the **** would a 12 year old get a gun?

bb gun, it's fake.

Edit: but really there shouldn't be fake guns that realistic.

My soundcloud
My tumblr
My twitter
My facebook
ehbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Godsmack_IV
UG's only somethinorather

this is what happens when you have a really shitty gun culture
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:

It was an airsoft gun. I think everyone I knew owned either one of them or a paintball gun as a kid. You can get them everywhere.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:

only b/c i know tho, living in the midwest and all

(fyi i'm not even talking about airsoft/bb/paintball guns)

Last edited by Dregen : 11-24-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Wow.

I always wondered how Dillinger could have escaped prison with just a wooden pistol. Seeing American cops' ability to recognize firearms, I can see why now.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
darrenram1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
It was an airsoft gun. I think everyone I knew owned either one of them or a paintball gun as a kid. You can get them everywhere.

I know it was an airsoft gun. I was questioning the police officer's train of thought.
darrenram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Shredwizard445
Registered Substance User

The kid got cleansed from the gene pool, parents are failures for letting him run around a park unsupervised to begin with.

HindsightEDIT: Wow you guys are touchy touchy. It's the patriarch or matriarch's job to teach the offspring that waving around potential weapons and instruments of fear with no purpose will get them killed. You guys are are human mob of uneducated keyboard warriors if you disagree with my edited explanation.

It doesn't matter if it's fake or not, the child should understand the gravity of mortality. Even at prepubescent ages.

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Shredwizard445 : 11-24-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Shredwizard445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Bob_Sacamano
dog_foxymano

the report on this i originally saw stated that the person who called the police said it's probably fake multiple times

granted, if they really can't see it and it's in the shape of a gun and they think lives are in danger, there's a chance no blame could be on them. i think the details of whether this was something that essentially couldn't be helped or whether they were just completely trigger happy and knew it was a kid (and whether his race had anything to do with it if we're real) and knew everyone was probably safe is something you'd have to really see to understand for sure. it was at night wasn't it?

of course i haven't looked into this one a lot. it's absolutely heartbreaking whatever really happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
The kid got cleansed from the gene pool, parents are failures for letting him run around a park unsupervised to begin with.

i generally don't like doing this sort of response anymore but ugh. complete trash here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
Who here thinks that theres too many nerds here nowadays. Some day a real rain will come, and clean these streets...

Last edited by Bob_Sacamano : 11-24-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
c3powil
on a coconut estate

On the one hand, he's twelve.

On the other hand, he's pointing a gun (for all they know) at people and police officers.

I can see it from both sides. Would I have shot? Can't say for sure, but probably not. I feel like the police officers should have assumed that it was a toy, however when you perceive that your life is in danger you tend to make rash choices.

Don't let your kid run around in public pointing weapons (even toys) at people, parents. That should be common sense! At the same time though, if my kid ran off with his friends and found a toy somewhere and got killed because of it, I would be outraged.

At the end of the day, both parties are to blame. I say a punishment for the involved officers would be fitting, but nothing too harsh.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

Quote:
I know it was an airsoft gun. I was questioning the police officer's train of thought.

if you think it's hard for kids to get guns in areas like Cleveland, you need to open your eyes a bit
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:

oh, gotcha.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445

people like you need to be brutally murdered

in my opinion
Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
Shredwizard445
Registered Substance User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsmack_IV
this is what happens when you have a nonexistent firearms safety etiquette coupled with mass produced military simulation video games and a surplus of replica firearms that are available to children

Fixed that for you

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Shredwizard445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: