User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 08:58 AM   #1
Krieger91
I Sold The World

The Australian "Mailman"

The Man Who Posted Himself To Australia

Well, this puts me in my place when I complain that I haven't got any money to travel.

Holy crap.

Also:

Quote:
When the plane finally touched down in Perth, the cargo hold was opened and Spiers heard the Australian baggage handlers swearing about the size of the crate he was in. He knew immediately he was home.

Quote:
"I got a telegram from a renowned Australian politician," he says, which read, "'A gallant effort by a real Aussie - and here's five quid

I love Australians.

"Does a fish have a watertight asshole?"
"...You a very wise"
Krieger91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #2
RAB11

Quote:
What happened next
Reg Spiers disappeared from Adelaide in 1981 after he was charged with conspiracy to import cocaine
He was arrested in Sri Lanka in 1984 and sentenced to death for drugs offences
He successfully appealed against the sentence and spent five years in jail in Australia

RAB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #3
ultimate-slash
UG Member

If you check his wiki you'll see this guy has had quite the life

Quote:
Following his retirement from athletics, Spiers became involved in drug smuggling and was arrested by the Australian Federal Police and charged in the Adelaide Courts for conspiracy to import $AUD1.2 million of cocaine and cannabis resin into Australia in 1980. Spiers pleaded guilty and was sentenced to ten years jail,[6] but disappeared from Adelaide in October 1981.[7]

Spiers next appeared in India, where he was arrested on 5 January 1982 on charges of being a drug courier,[8] which led to questions being asked in the Australian parliament about his passport.[8]

After escaping from India, Spiers was next arrested at Bandaranaike International Airport in Sri Lanka on 1 December 1984 while travelling on a French passport under the name Patrick Claude Albert Ledoux.[1] Sri Lankan Customs officials found 41 packets of drugs, including 1 kg (2.2 lb) of heroin, hidden in a cassette recorder in Spiers's possession.[7] On 2 June 1987, Spiers was found guilty of four counts of possessing heroin and one count of possessing hashish and sentenced to death[9] A successful appeal earned Spiers a reprieve, but he was forced to serve a five-year jail term in Adelaide.[7]

In 2011, Spiers's daughter Jane was convicted on counts of manufacturing a controlled drug, and one count of doing so for sale.[7] Jane Spiers was jailed for six years, with a three-year non-parole period.[7]

Last edited by ultimate-slash : Today at 10:35 AM.
ultimate-slash is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: