Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The G&L Thread.

Searchbar searched, googled it, and binged it. I didn't find anything. If there's already a thread, please link to it and I'll get a mod to delete this one.

From Wiki:
Quote:
G&L is a guitar design and production company founded by Leo Fender, George Fullerton, and Dale Hyatt in the late 1970s. Fender sold his company named Fender in 1965. He designed and produced instruments for Music Man in the 1970s through his company CLF Research. When relations with Music Man soured, G&L was created to continue operations outside of Music Man. The G&L name comes from the initials of George (Fullerton) and Leo (Fender).

G&L instruments are similar to the classic Fenders, but with some modern innovations. They are built at the same facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California that produced the early Music Man instruments. G&L instruments are not widely distributed but are highly regarded by many musicians and collectors. The relatively small scale of production further allows for more custom options than are possible on larger production lines.

After the death of Leo Fender in 1991, Fender's wife, Phyllis Fender, passed the management of G&L to John C. McLaren of BBE Sound. George Fullerton remained a permanent consultant until his death on July 4 2009, and Leo's wife Phyllis remains as Honorary Chairman of G&L.

In a print advertisement for G&L, Leo Fender claimed the G&L line of instruments were "the best instruments I have ever made."

Some things that are exclusive to G&L, innovated by them:
  • The Magnetic Field Design (MFD) pickups use a ceramic bar magnet in combination with soft iron pole pieces with adjustable height, instead of the traditional Alnico magnet, and allow a player to set the pickup output per string, as opposed to the entire pickup as a whole in traditional single-coil pickup designs. MFDs are known for their distinctive tone, which combines clarity, high fidelity and power with an airy "sweetness".
  • The Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato has two pivot points. The design aims to improve tuning stability, and according to some has a sound that is more mellow than a traditional bridge. It allows the player to bend notes up as well as down. See also Tremolo arm.
  • The G&L Saddle-Lock bridge utilizes a small Allen screw on the side of the bridge, to reduce side-to-side movement of the individual string saddles. The design, and the bridge's beefy dimensions, aim to prevent loss of sustain due to this sideways motion by locking the saddles together.
  • The Tilt Neck Mechanism designed and patented by George Fullerton. This feature is no longer used, and was a carryover from Music Man production.
  • The Bi-cut neck design involved cutting the neck lengthwise perpendicular to where the fretboard is later installed, routing a channel for the truss rod, then gluing the two neck pieces back together. As G&L moved production to CNC machines, this method was phased out.

Factory Tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU7_...feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
Don't care. I'm not discussing this. Either you post by my rules or you don't post at all.

Last edited by JustRooster : 06-20-2012 at 12:03 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

There's one sitting in a pawn shop not too far from me that I've considered pulling the trigger on because it plays quite nicely, but just haven't made the leap yet...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
fastlanestoner
the nxt NEXT Nigel Tufnel

G and Ls are very great instruments, but to polarize something as Fender vs. G/L is a bit misguided. They are separate beasts, the Legacies kill it!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Haven't played as many legacies as ASATs. But I know that I vastly prefer the ASAT over the Fender tele.

Quote:
Don't care. I'm not discussing this. Either you post by my rules or you don't post at all.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Once I get my Epi Les Paul sold, that money is going directly into a Legacy purchase.

Weird thing is, I've heard a G&L fanboy say that the Tribute models were actually of better quality then the American made ones.
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
JLT73

I got mine and it is completely awesome!

-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
JLT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

^

Is that the Jerry Cantrell one?

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!

www.glguitars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
^

Is that the Jerry Cantrell one?

Looks likes it to me.

Hey rooster, or whatever your name is this week.
You should add some of the model names to the OP. also, info about the pick ups.

Here is one fine bluesboy semi-hollow. Born on 4/20/2012.

One of the things that attracted me to G&L was the ability to choose different neck profiles on the Fullerton California built guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue

Last edited by gregs1020 : 06-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Changed up the OP for you, Greg.

Reposting mine since it's not on top anymore:

My guitar's not on the website anymore. I wonder if it's discontinued.

Greg, do you know if they offer a Soft-V profile on the Bluesboy Semi and/or the S-500 Deluxe?

Quote:

Last edited by JustRooster : 06-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
gregs1020
Hi mom!

The Op looks great, nice changes.

Can you add some pics to the op of the common models? Legacy and Asats?

The "1d" neck option is a modern v type, and is available on most USA models including the two you asked about.

The asat special deluxe looks very similar to your guitar, they just changed the toggle to a blade type if I'm seeing things correctly.

With regards to the MFD pick ups, to my ears they retain the traditional tones but don't have the piercing effect of most Tele type pick ups.

A gear head friend of mine believes that G&L guitars sound like fenders after the post recording sound engineers are done taking the suck out of the recorded tracks. He's kinda blunt like that.

It's worth mentioning that the tribute models come equipped with G&L USA electronics. I am not aware of any other company that offers its highest grade electronics on its "budget" line as standard equipment. That's pretty cool IMO.

Quote:
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
RiseTheFallen

Really want a G&L...
RiseTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Hit the character limit in the OP, posting models here:

Here are some models:
USA MODELS
Made in Fullterton, California, most US options offer an array of options of neck profile, premium finish, and other features.

ASAT

ASAT Classic
ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow
ASAT Classic Bluesboy
ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
ASAT Custom Classic
ASAT Custom Classic Semi-Hollow
ASAT Classic Rustic

ASAT Special
ASAT Special Semi-Hollow
ASAT Special Deluxe

ASAT Z-3
ASAT Z-3 Semi-Hollow
Will Ray Signature

ASAT Deluxe
ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow

Comanche

Comanche
Comanche Semi-Hollow

F-100

F-100

Invader

Invader
Invader Plus
Invader XL

Legacy

Legacy
Legacy Semi-Hollow
Legacy HB
Legacy 2HB
Legacy Deluxe
Legacy Special
Legacy Rustic

Rampage

Rampage

S-500

S-500
S-500 Semi-Hollow
S-500 Deluxe

SC

SC-2

Tribute Models
The Tribute series uses all USA equipment and are made in the Cortek factory, Indonesia.

Ascari GTS
Ascari GT-90

Fiorano GTS

ASAT Classic
ASAT Classic Lefty
ASAT Classic Bluesboy
ASAT Classic Bluseboy Semi-Hollow
ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
ASAT Special

Comanche
S-500
Legacy
Legacy Lefty
Legacy HB

Jerry Cantrell Rampage
Will Ray Signature

Quote:

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

From Wiki: A quick guide to the different models.
  • ASAT Classic: Similar design to the Telecaster; offered as a solid-body instrument as well as a semi-hollow body instrument.
  • Bluesboy: Based on the ASAT Classic, but with a Seth Lover humbucker pickup in the neck position and a modified MFD single coil at the bridge. Designed by Tim Page of Buffalo Bros. with the help of Seymour W. Duncan for the neck pickup and Tony Petrilla (of G&L) for wiring of the bridge pickup. First introduced as a special edition in 1999 in both solid body and semi-hollow versions. Became a standard model in 2001.
  • ASAT Special: named G&L Broadcaster until 1985, when it was renamed ASAT. Sometime later the "Special" was added. Similar to the ASAT Classic but with two large "soap bar" MFD pickups and a Saddle-Lock bridge rather than the Telecaster-style bridge found on the Classic.
  • ASAT Z-3: Similar to the ASAT Classic but with three "Z-Coil" pickups, additional pickup switching options and a Saddle-Lock bridge.
  • The Broadcaster, which is the most well known and highly collectible G&L, was the brainchild of Dale Hyatt. Mr.Hyatt designed and marketed this highly sought after G&L in 1985 as a marketing strategy to increase sales and distribution. And as mistakenly reported on many websites, the G&L Broadcaster was highly successful not because of Mr. Leo Fender signing each guitar in the neck pocket, but rather because of the pure quality of the guitar itself. Mr. Fender only signed one guitar in his entire lifetime, and that priceless, one-of-a-kind guitar, is owned by Mr. Hyatt. Mr. Fender did sign a dated sticker that went inside the neck pocket to prove that the guitar was authentic and built by G & L. The name Broadcaster was changed to ASAT (After Stratocaster After Telecaster) after a production run of one year and 869 guitars. The change was due to a conflict over the use of the Broadcaster name.
  • Comanche: Similar design to the Fender Stratocaster but utilizes MFD Z-coil pickups, a Dual Fulcrum vibrato bridge and additional pickup switch options (super-switch).
  • F-100: The first guitar produced by G&L. Two small switches controlled a coil splitter and a phase switch (reversed the phase of one humbucker), allowing additional tone creation abilities.
  • Invader: A "super strat" style design; the Invader typically has a humbucker in bridge position; the 2010 model features two dual blade pickups (one at neck and the other in the middle position); there is also a split coil function. Some use a Kahler bridge locking vibrato system with a locking nut; Floyd Rose (also with locking nut system) and the G&L dual fulcrum are also options. The Invader XL has two humbuckers.
  • Legacy: Similar design to the Stratocaster with design considerations derived from older Stratocaster models from the 1950s and 1960s, but also newer features such as the G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato.
  • Legacy Special: Based on the Legacy, but with blade humbucker pickups.
  • Legacy Deluxe: A Stratocaster licensed body with bolt on neck. Rear mounted controls and no pickguard. Standard pickup configuration is a Seymour Duncan TB-4 (An SH4 with different dimensions) and 2 alnico V single coils).
  • Rampage: Similar in design to the Stratocaster but with a more narrow waist and a more dramatic "tummy" relief. Rampages utilize a single humbucker designed by G&L and built by Schaller. The necks are Maple with an Ebony finger board. Most Rampages use Kahler tremolo systems. Production colors include white, black, yellow and Rampage Red. Played by Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains, who now has his own signature Rampage.
  • S-500: Similar design to the Stratocaster and Legacy, but with MFD pickups and additional pickup switch options. A toggle switch enables the bridge pickup to be "always on" so you can have combinations of the neck and bridge pickup and all three pickups at once. Also includes G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato. Offered with optional Seymour Duncan JB Jr humbucker in bridge position.
  • Will Ray Signature Model: Based on the ASAT Z-3 with changes to suit Will Ray's style, including overwound pickups, a B-bender, a different neck profile, and skull-shaped fingerboard position marker inlays designed by Ray.

Quote:

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Magnetic Field Design (MFD) Pickups

From G&L:
Quote:
The G&L Magnetic Field Design® pickups use a ceramic bar magnet installed underneath each coil, with soft iron adjustable pole pieces to transfer the magnetic field to the top of the pickup. By contrast, traditional Alnico type pickups, such as used in the Legacy model, use non-adjustable Alnico pole pieces leaving the only adjustment being pickup height. The Magnetic Field Design has this adjustment, but further offers individual adjustment of each pole piece, letting the player effectively adjust the output of each string on each pickup. Magnetic Field Design yield about twice the output per wind, making the pickup quieter while allowing a greater overall output. The sound of Magnetic Field pickups is slightly warmer with a broader frequency response.

As you've read with greg's post above, and maybe past posts of mine, most find the MFD pickups to be much broader and less harsh than that of other standard single coils. These were Leo Fender's original design. Why he went with the other one, I don't know.

How they're made:

Quote:

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
gerrywm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
wwwglguitars.com

Here is one fine bluesboy semi-hollow. Born on 4/20/2012.

One of the things that attracted me to G&L was the ability to choose different neck profiles on the Fullerton California built guitars.

It was a toss up between a desert burst one of those and my blue gibson, those bluesboys are cracking guitars
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Damn that Legacy is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
It was a toss up between a desert burst one of those and my blue gibson, those bluesboys are cracking guitars

Hard choice right there. I went with a nice Gibson first as well.

Edit: nice additions Rooster! There is a lot of good info here for newcomers! Well done!

Quote:

Last edited by gregs1020 : 06-20-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
Damn that Legacy is gorgeous!

Hard choice right there. I went with a nice Gibson first as well.

Edit: nice additions Rooster! There is a lot of good info here for newcomers! Well done!

Gotta do something to stay busy on my day off. Couldn't find anyone to golf with today. Sad times.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the flame on my ASAT. The photo doesn't do it justice.

And just for fun, my other "tele." http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/...ey/IMG_1534.jpg

Quote:

Last edited by JustRooster : 06-20-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
RiseTheFallen

Wow, that looks amazing!
RiseTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

I'm GASing for an F-100 (The 'reissue' one). They're re-releasing the Superhawk too! Hopefully there'll be a shop or two where I can try out these two guitars and compare them, as they look quite similar to each other. But I doubt that there will be as so few shops in the UK stock G&Ls , and I don't want to order one online without trying it first.

Edit:

Here's an online G&L Guitar builder. You can pick whatever options you wish for any model and you'll get a quote too. Quite Handy. http://americanguitarboutique.net/Guitar_index.html
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 06-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Why, I'm quite honored, rooster.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: