Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #81
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i'm just not a fan of the bb pros.

bb1 & bb2 i like but that's about it. i know there are only subtle differences in construction but the pros sound more scooped and modern in comparison. to me anyway.

i'm a big fan of skatterbranes, i've tried a few of his pups now and i'm not disappointed by any of them.

as far as sounding like duane? it's pretty debatable but by 61 gibson pups were still not very consistent. alnico II and V magnets and no real set number of winds.

i'd say an earthbrane or a yangbrane would suit that style well. not sure if they would hit "duane" spot on but they'd be close enough to blame the amp if they didn't.

edit: hey we're talking about pups to go into a G&L. no harm there.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #82
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The Yangbrane was what I was leaning towards when it came to the demos. We'll see. I might just fall in love with the Gagon in there.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #83
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Yeah you have to give it a chance first.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #84
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Holiday delays. Just shipped via FedEx express today. 4-5 business days. It's gonna be a long week.

BUCKY
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #85
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

If I can find a used one I plan on picking up a used Rampage with xmas money
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #86
JustRooster
Organ Donor

January 2nd is the projected arrival date of my new Bluesboy!

BUCKY
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #88
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Yup. G&L Tribute ASAT HB. Discontinued model as of last year. Almost bought one of the hardtail versions instead of my Special. Here are some specs.

-Pickups: 2 overwound Alnico V humbuckers
-Body Wood: Basswood
-Neck Wood: Slim profile Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard
-Neck Radius: 13.75
-Neck Width at Nut: 1 5/8" (41.3mm)
-Tuning Keys: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
-Bridge: Floyd Rose Special locking tremolo
-Controls: 3 position pickup selector, 1-Volume and 1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coils of both humbuckers

I've only played one before, so I can't speak to the series. The one I played had a VERY fast neck, though. I see it as G&L's answer to Ibanez fanboys. I would swap the pups for some Dimazios or something. $220 is a STEAL for that!

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-01-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #89
samuraigoomba

I need to get some money so I can hunt down a tribute Bluesboy. I can't seem to find any used ones that are cheaper than GC's new price.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #90
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Ugh, now Fed Ex says estimated delivery of Thursday. I ordered this guitar on the 23rd. It's nearing the two week mark soon.

BUCKY
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #91
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Ugh, now Fed Ex says estimated delivery of Thursday. I ordered this guitar on the 23rd. It's nearing the two week mark soon.

try ordering direct from japan and have it sit in US Customs for 2 weeks.

i feel your pain.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #92
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Still waiting for that Jerry Cantrell Superhawk. I don't get what's taking them so long, aren't they just twim humbucker versions of the Rampage?

Also, what's the difference between the Superhawk and the F-100? They both look the same? I know the Superhawk is likely to have a Kahler (although I've seen the 'test' model with a saddle lock bridge)

I hope they bring out an F-100 tribute
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #93
JustRooster
Organ Donor

BUCKY
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #94
kingbabyduck
Cracking Eggs of Wisdom

I'm looking at getting a USA G&L ASAT Classic. Trouble is, I'm left handed and since its damn near impossible to find any that are close to me. I'm not really sure whether to get a Classic or a Classic Bluesboy, and then whether to get a semi-hollow or solid. Can anyone enlighten me on the tonal differences?

I know I want to probably go with a swamp ash body and a flatsawn hard rock maple neck with an MFD in the bridge. I play a lot of garage rock type music like the strokes, the hives, the black keys, the white stripes and some older stuff like the beatles, jimi hendrix. I have an Gibson SG with P90s, a les paul and an orange ad30 if any of this info helps.
kingbabyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #95
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I think the best description for the MFD's is that they're incredibly Transparent. You can really, really hear the resonance of the guitar. It's odd, you can almost feel the sound of the wood coming through the amp if you're playing through some warm tubes, or at least I can. I've never experienced that with another set of pickups.

The semi-hollow has more 'air' to it. Don't know how to describe it.

Although for the bands you've listed, I wouldn't get a Classic, I'd get a Special. Here's my ASAT Special Deluxe in action:

The Special takes to distortion very well. It get a very J Mascis sound out of mine. They're very different sounding from P90's, that's for sure.

However, if you've your hard set on the Classic, I'd say it depends on what you like. I notice that the fretboard on my Bluesboy feels much flatter than my Special. My Special feels much like all the Classics I've played. If you're used to a curvy fretboard, you'll probably be more comfortable on the Classic.

The other advantage to the Classic is that you can get Butterscotch Blonde. Mmmmmm.

BUCKY
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #96
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ nice vid

been thinking on and off about a g&l for a while.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #97
kingbabyduck
Cracking Eggs of Wisdom

^^thanks for the info. I feel that the Special sounds too much like my SG w/ P90s. Especially since I'm using an Orange AD30 which is pretty dark, I'm trying to get some brighter sounds out of it. And as I've been reading, alder and swamp ash are pretty much the sound the same. I was looking between these two guitars:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/g_l/12/alder.htm

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lef...bluesboy_cb.htm

I'm still torn between whether or nor not I should go semi hollow or solid and then if the humbucker in the neck is what I want. I do really play much clean neck tones, and if I do, I try to like them to not be overly chunky and bassy.
kingbabyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #98
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I would personally choose the Classic... but I already have a Bluesboy AND a Special, so I'm bias. For you, you'd probably be happier with the Bluesboy. It already seems like you have your mind made up on it, you're just looking for someone to agree with you and make it easier to buy I think.

BUCKY
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #99
gregs1020
Hi mom!

nice video rooster.

it sounded a bit bright but it's probably the recording. anytime i record anything it never sounded like it did in the room when i played it. it's almost always brighter.

what amp were you using? the fender you had off the floor facing you?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #100
samuraigoomba

I'm GASing hard for a G&L Asat. I've never had a Tele, and it sounds like a lot of people on UG who own Asats prefer them to Telecasters. Is there some reason why? Is it because the quality is a lot higher than what you find in similarly-priced telecasters from Fender?

One thing that makes me sad is that Asats in my area are pretty expensive. GC sells the bluesboy tribute new for about $470, and the cheapest used Tribute asats I've seen are $400. Within that price range, there's also the option of something like a used Carvin with the tele body. Would I be better off holding out for a Carvin? In terms of sound, I'm looking for classic rock crunch and british blues tones. I'm also looking at amps for that, but this is the G&L thread, so I figured I'd ask about the Asats here.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: