Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

dubstep on a Behringer BSY600 bass synthesizer

Can you use the behringer BSY600 bass synthesizer to get a dubstep sound (by the way I don't own the pedal I just want to know so I can buy it or not) I know its not the ideal pedal (for dubstep) that everyone uses but I'm a guitarist first so I'm not spending much on a bass pedal
cha33 armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Weirdbag
UG Member

I'm getting tired of people who can't even google...

Post-Rock Project

Weirdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdbag

I'm getting tired of people who can't even google...

Thanks for posting the link but I never checked youtube because I can't watch vids on my phone and that's what I've been searching on
Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
chatterbox272

Just remember that just because it's a 'bass' pedal doesn't mean anything really. It's probably got better response in the lower frequencies than the guitar equivalent (if there is one), but other than that it will likely be the same. Also don't expect it to bring your guitar down to bass pitch because it's a bass pedal, because it won't.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Guild King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Just remember that just because it's a 'bass' pedal doesn't mean anything really. It's probably got better response in the lower frequencies than the guitar equivalent (if there is one), but other than that it will likely be the same. Also don't expect it to bring your guitar down to bass pitch because it's a bass pedal, because it won't.

He's not asking anything about guitar. He's asking about using a pedal for bass, on a bass. And there wouldn't be a guitar "equivalent" anyways, bass synths are about the only effect unique to bass guitar. Guitar synths are a different kettle of fish all together.

As for the original question, you can get a decent dubstep sound out of it (especially with an expression pedal), but you probably won't get a super aggressive wobble bass out of it. A higher quality bass synth would work better for that, and a small (keyboard) synthesizer like a microKorg would be even better than that- that's what most/all of the dubstep recordings you hear use, some kind of keyboard synth.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild King
He's not asking anything about guitar. He's asking about using a pedal for bass, on a bass. And there wouldn't be a guitar "equivalent" anyways, bass synths are about the only effect unique to bass guitar. Guitar synths are a different kettle of fish all together.

As for the original question, you can get a decent dubstep sound out of it (especially with an expression pedal), but you probably won't get a super aggressive wobble bass out of it. A higher quality bass synth would work better for that, and a small (keyboard) synthesizer like a microKorg would be even better than that- that's what most/all of the dubstep recordings you hear use, some kind of keyboard synth.

Ok thanks for the tip (and this will sound stupid and you will probably laugh) what is a expression pedal because I've been searching for ages and can't find an answer also can you give me a couple of examples of expression pedals
Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha33 armstrong
Ok thanks for the tip (and this will sound stupid and you will probably laugh) what is a expression pedal because I've been searching for ages and can't find an answer also can you give me a couple of examples of expression pedals

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...xpression+pedal

those are all expression pedals. they are a rocker pedal with a TRS plug that you use to plug into certain effects that allow EP control (like a boss DD-7 or moog MF-101)

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...xpression+pedal

those are all expression pedals. they are a rocker pedal with a TRS plug that you use to plug into certain effects that allow EP control (like a boss DD-7 or moog MF-101)

1.Are they essential to getting the dubsteb sound 2.they all look like ordinary wah-wahs to me
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
1.Are they essential to getting the dubsteb sound

the answer to that is complicated, but essentially: No, you don't need an expression pedal for dubstep

expression pedals are used to control parameters of an effect device, like how a knob on a pedal effects certain parameters of an effect. the benefit of controlling parameters through an expression pedals is that you can easily control parameters in real time while keeping your hands free to play.

how would you use an expression pedal in dubstep? well a moog MF-101 low pass filter has most of it's parameters available to be controlled with expression pedals. this means you can control the pedal's cutoff knob with an expression pedal and effectively have a low pass filter with wah-wah functionality.

if you didn't have an expression pedal, you could control the cutoff based on the envelop follower but it has a very different feel and you won't be able to add as much character.

Quote:
2.they all look like ordinary wah-wahs to me

they are both in rocker pedal housings, but the internals and functions are quite different.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

[QUOTE=gumbilicious]the answer to that is complicated, but essentially: No, you don't need an expression pedal for dubstep

expression pedals are used to control parameters of an effect device, like how a knob on a pedal effects certain parameters of an effect. the benefit of controlling parameters through an expression pedals is that you can easily control parameters in real time while keeping your hands free to play.

how would you use an expression pedal in dubstep? well a moog MF-101 low pass filter has most of it's parameters available to be controlled with expression pedals. this means you can control the pedal's cutoff knob with an expression pedal and effectively have a low pass filter with wah-wah functionality.

if you didn't have an expression pedal, you could control the cutoff based on the envelop follower but it has a very different feel and you won't be able to add as much character.
I guess I could buy the bsy600 mess with dubstep sounds then buy an expression pedal later on
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Do you know any settings 'amp or pedal' to get the dubstep sound
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
nooneye

I could do with some advice on how to get an expression pedal to work with the BSY600. It just doesn't seem to to do anything when plugged into the expression input and obviously only lowers or raises the volume when connected in a regular input/output sequence.

Does it need boosting or powering from another device/pedal/power supply?

Has anyone been able to achieve a wah-like expression effect using it? If so could you please share with me how you accomplished this, as I'm struggling to find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(I am using a Roland FV-500H as was recommended in another thread elsewhere.)
nooneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: