Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
cbeech12

Breaking in a new guitar speaker

I have read a lot of discussions about this and many different ways of doing it such as using fabric softener and transformers. Loads of people have said to just play it really loud but since I only get to play it loud for about 1 hour a week this would take months. I had an idea to plug my ipod in to it and leave it playing over night but didn't think it would work. I just plugged it in and music came out, farely loud as well. Surely this is an obvious solution? Why has no one thought of this before? Is there any reason for no one suggesting this or are people just not imaginitive anymore? Btw I am using a 75 watt 16 ohm speaker.
cbeech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
fuzzpedal

I actually heard about some other people on another forum doing that. I don't know if it's the proper way of doing things but they seemed to think it's alright.
fuzzpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzpedal
I actually heard about some other people on another forum doing that. I don't know if it's the proper way of doing things but they seemed to think it's alright.

I guess it's better then nothing. As long as there are no dangers of it over heating or anything
Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Vendetta V
The Creep

actually talking of breaking in speakers. is it about guitar speakers only or any speakers in general?

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V
actually talking of breaking in speakers. is it about guitar speakers only or any speakers in general?

12" 16ohm 75watt guitar speaker
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Just keep playing it. It will have an aggressive lower-high frequency spike for a while (that especially stands out at lower volumes), but it's in my opinion the safest and most effective way of breaking in a speaker. Gives you an excuse to play more as well.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeech12
12" 16ohm 75watt guitar speaker

I know mate, I read it in the OP. I was just wonderinf the rule of breaking in the speakers apply to any sort of speakers ( like PA or hifi) or just guitar speakers?

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
cbeech12

Quote:
I know mate, I read it in the OP. I was just wonderinf the rule of breaking in the speakers apply to any sort of speakers ( like PA or hifi) or just guitar speakers?

Oh right sorry haha. I am not sure, I am guessing the principles will be the same but I don't think it will be anywhere as near noticeable with a PA speaker
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.

Breaking it in on purpose would be like denting your guitar with a screwdriver to make it look "used"... just play the thing, it will get there sooner or later...
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Tim the Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
BigHeadClan
Mistro

You don't need to have crazy volume, just put all our settings (bass,treb,mid) to max and play for about an hour using really full chords. Remember your trying to stimulate the cone as much as possible.

This will make your speaker largely broken it, but it will still be about a month or 2 (depending how much you play) before the speaker is completely broken it.

You can play music through it from an Ipod/mp3 player at again (moderate) volumes, but it probably won't drive the cone as much as just playing with your guitar.
BigHeadClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan
You don't need to have crazy volume, just put all our settings (bass,treb,mid) to max and play for about an hour using really full chords. Remember your trying to stimulate the cone as much as possible.

This will make your speaker largely broken it, but it will still be about a month or 2 (depending how much you play) before the speaker is completely broken it.

You can play music through it from an Ipod/mp3 player at again (moderate) volumes, but it probably won't drive the cone as much as just playing with your guitar.

Thankyou. I'll try that tomorrow! Also I am doing the ipod thing as well as playing through it just to speeden up the process
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Rocker
Breaking it in on purpose would be like denting your guitar with a screwdriver to make it look "used"... just play the thing, it will get there sooner or later...

Not really. Denting your guitar wouldn't imve its sonic or tonal values but merely damage its aesthetics. Like most other people I don't want to have to wait 40-60 hours of playing time for my speaker to break in. If I worked for 40 hours on minimum wage (5 per hour) I would earn 200 which I could use to buy a celestion alnico gold speaker. So ye stop being a jerk
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:

i personally don't find it 'necessary' to break-in a speaker. indeed, i am a bit fuzzy on the absolute concept of breaking-in a speaker. a speaker is mechanical, the characteristics of it's parts continue to decay as the speaker ages. glues weaken, materials thin, connection parts weaken and wear. just like a car tire, a speaker will eventually need to be replaced.

this should apply to all speakers. so you can loosen up a speaker from factory, but there are no hard rules for hours and looseness. people just 'break them in', but there is no definite point where it is 'broken in'

so, people need to remember a speaker's tone will continually change throughout it's life. and also that a speaker's life span is limited.

if you keep this in mind, then you can provide yourself with different mindset. breaking in speakers is little more than advancing a speaker age and loosening parts in the speaker. also, you can adopt the idea a speaker wears out when you use it. furthermore, if you use the speaker in a more stressful way (high volumes, lots of distortion, low frequencies) then wear the speaker faster than if you use it at nominal levels.

not only will speakers wear faster when stressed, but they also wear in different ways. when you run high volume with low frequencies you can cause the speaker excursion to extend past it's nominal limits causing at unique wearing not normally found in speakers run below nominal parameters.

also, running speakers are high volumes for extended periods of time can cause overheating of the voice coil. some designs used aluminum dust caps to help dissipate the heat and limit this stress.

what this all boils down to is: yes you can break-in a speaker by playing sound through it for extended periods of time but you must be careful not to stressful to the speaker too much.

don't play too loud, don't play music with big thumping basslines, maybe even role back on the low end to keep low notes in check.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 06-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
ikey_

there is no quantitiy of hours. 100% dependant of the style, frequency of playing volume etc of the music being played not to mention brand of speaker.

this is a fiarly foolish discussion. ok. new sandals, yeah they suck until you break em in. yeah sure the speakers do sound better broken in but really your not going to notice because it is a gradual and very very long and subtle thing.

its not a black and white tonal difference, not will ith appen fast enough for you to pick up on it. one day you will just be playing and go...."hmm, there might be more mellow than im used to"

or you might get a new speaker or play on another guys exact cab and basically get an A/B taste.

_________-

im in the - just play it boat.

you can do all that dumb crap to a baseball mit. long story short, if you never play the game, the mit really wont ever break in.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
ikey_

there is no quantitiy of hours. 100% dependant of the style, frequency of playing volume etc of the music being played not to mention brand of speaker.

new sandals, yeah they suck until you break em in. yeah sure the speakers do sound better broken in but really your not going to notice because it is a gradual and very very long and subtle thing.

its not a black and white tonal difference, not will ith appen fast enough for you to pick up on it. one day you will just be playing and go...."hmm, there might be more mellow than im used to"

or you might get a new speaker or play on another guys exact cab and basically get an A/B taste.

_________-

im in the - just play it boat.

you can do all that dumb crap to a baseball mit. long story short, if you never play the game, the mit really wont ever break in.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #16
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i personally don't find it 'necessary' to break-in a speaker. indeed, i am a bit fuzzy on the absolute concept of breaking-in a speaker. a speaker is mechanical, the characteristics of it's parts continue to decay as the speaker ages. glues weaken, materials thin, connection parts weaken and wear. just like a car tire, a speaker will eventually need to be replaced.....

thanks that was a long post, didn't want to quote the whole thing. It was helpful. I am just waiting for some new gear to arrive in a cargo. I'm getting some hifi speakers and a big PA system, I was thinking whether I'll need to break in dem speakers or no. Well from what it sounds I'm better of not really attempting to do that with that system.

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It does depend on the speaker. And I don't think it's so much of a wearing out process as a bedding in one. It took several weeks of playing at decent volumes before the 12" Lorantz Greenback clone I have in my 1x12 loosened up and started to sound like a proper greenback. That speaker has particularly resilient paper in the cone containing hemp and using some trick manufacturing process developed by the CSIRO. So whether it's the paper fibres settling or the surround loosening up it's hard to say. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B - but as it takes such a long time and the main difference between it and an actual Celestion is the cone, I'd take an educated guess that it's the cone's fibres settling in.

To the OP. An old trick to break in speakers is to run 60Hz (or 50Hz) through them overnight. I am NOT saying that you just plug it into the wall btw. Running music through them overnight always seemed like a better idea to me.
Personally, I like to do it by actually playing through it. That way you know it's the actual frequencies it will be seeing in use that's shaking it up during break in. However, that's probably specious because even a single low frequency like 60Hz seems to do just as good a job.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 06-28-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: