Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
Brainpolice2
UG Board King

Here's a question: Is there a way to talk about "modern sound" or "modern guitar tone" without it being specific to metal?
Brainpolice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLikeAPig
To add yet another question, why the hell is crunch called crunch? Crunch isn't cunchy sounding at all.

Crunch IS supposed to be crunchy. Listen to the opening bars of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpolice2
Here's a question: Is there a way to talk about "modern sound" or "modern guitar tone" without it being specific to metal?

great question actually

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 06-28-2012 at 09:30 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

I was bored waiting for my pasta to cook
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartdevil_metal

I was bored waiting for my pasta to cook

i'm actually going to do that to my cabinet next time i get a box of kellogg's cereal.

it'll look better than the harley benton logo anyway
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
some_dude_2

Modern guitar tends to be mostly mids without a lot of top or bottom end, usually combined with a really punchy speaker like a Vintage 30.

The guitars really aren't scooped at all... the problem is that people hear the bassist and think it's the guitarist putting out all that low end, then try to replicate that sound using just their guitar.

Multi-tracking and compressing guitars has been around for decades... it's not really a new feature of modern sound.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEorjsCvlTQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0D0Le3dXnI

Last edited by some_dude_2 : 06-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
some_dude_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
Brainpolice2
UG Board King

Quote:
Modern guitar tends to be mostly mids without a lot of top or bottom end, usually combined with a really punchy speaker like a Vintage 30.

Then why do I so frequently hear so much ... treble. Particularly for the lead tones.
Brainpolice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #28
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuailman
Modern is when it looks like Killswitch Engage:

That's basically it. The sound itself isn't much different from what death metal bands have been doing since the '80s.

Well, I thinks it's a little more refined. Death metal was pretty awful until one day mike ammot finally decided guitar didn't have to sound like ass, and made heartwork. I think that a lot metal core and death core have done what 80s metal did: formulate a generic sound and beat the thing to death. Death metal from the early days was very much "give me all the distortion, and to hell with eq!" at least a lot of the new guys attemp to eq their amps into some kind of focused sound. Personally, I think that modern guitar tone really does come from the original tone chasers trying to get the EVH sound, but a lot of them just did it wrong and focused on preamp distortion more power amp distortion, so modern tone has turned into a sterile mess. Of course, you had the thrashers who just wanted teh HEVIEES, so I guess that added a little bit of seasoning to the EVH tone.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #29
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGallagherFan
"Modern" is bassy, compressed, high gain, and tight. From what I've heard.

Yes^ +low mids. Also seems like modern has a lot more harmonizing than classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.

Last edited by Volcz : 06-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

As I Lay Dying and Of Mice & Men are who I think of. Maybe Bullet for my Valentine too.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I guess part of the reason I think it is interesting is because a lot us (me included) will say things like.... 'That amp can't do modern metal - so don't look at that one'.

Well......why? Why can't it?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #32
romeozdistress

i think of lamb of god and children of bodom mostly, maybe killswitch engage. log and cob have that high mid sound. i know alexi is due to his preamp. but log have some of my favorite tones.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
i think of lamb of god and children of bodom mostly, maybe killswitch engage. log and cob have that high mid sound. i know alexi is due to his preamp. but log have some of my favorite tones.

I agree with Lamb of God. Their tone on Resolution is badaaaaaaaaaassssssssssss

I don't know why, but Children of Bodom's tone sounds classic. It's not as compressed, gated, or clean/post-effected as other mod-metal bands IMO.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #34
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
I agree with Lamb of God. Their tone on Resolution is badaaaaaaaaaassssssssssss

I don't know why, but Children of Bodom's tone sounds classic. It's not as compressed, gated, or clean/post-effected as other mod-metal bands IMO.

Well COB has been around since before the metal core thing got big, but after most other death metal bands had died down, so Alexi kind had his own thing going on. And he is a self acclaimed hair metal fanboy

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #35
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Children of Bodom is kind of in their own category. They combine metalcore with techno and hair metal.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

I think the term "modern" gets derived from the character of the distortion. Tones we associate with being modern can have all sorts of different EQ flavors, but the character of the distortion seems to be what is more commonly similar from one to another.

To achieve that distortion character does in fact entail a specific approach to the circuit design FWIW.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #37
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
Children of Bodom is kind of in their own category. They combine metalcore with techno and hair metal.

Eh, I wouldn't say I here too much metalcore in their sound. During the Hatecrew and Are you dead yet years they definitely had a more chunky vibe to it similar to a lot of melodic death metal bands that were big at the time like scar symmetry, but metalcore I think is a stretch. Bloodrunk is very thrashy. And RRF is more a return to form IMO, more like classic stuff like follow the reaper (my favorite album). As far as techno, I can kinda see it, because of the keyboards, but that is more an artifact of their black metal influence I think, they just needed a way to make it fit in there music as it progressed, but I will agree it is very techno at times. Hair metal presence is definitely strong, especially on the solos. Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out or anything, just offering my opinion on this. COB is pretty much my favorite band ever, so I get very caught up discussing them

Edit: I loved the brigand demo craig, and it was because it was very modern sounding but at the same time retained a lot of the classic vibe that I love. Idk if you intended for that to happen, but that's how I interpreted it.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded

Last edited by dementiacaptain : 06-28-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #38
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Eh, I wouldn't say I here too much metalcore in their sound. During the Hatecrew and Are you dead yet years they definitely had a more chunky vibe to it similar to a lot of melodic death metal bands that were big at the time like scar symmetry, but metalcore I think is a stretch. Bloodrunk is very thrashy. And RRF is more a return to form IMO, more like classic stuff like follow the reaper (my favorite album). As far as techno, I can kinda see it, because of the keyboards, but that is more an artifact of their black metal influence I think, they just needed a way to make it fit in there music as it progressed, but I will agree it is very techno at times. Hair metal presence is definitely strong, especially on the solos. Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out or anything, just offering my opinion on this. COB is pretty much my favorite band ever, so I get very caught up discussing them

Edit: I loved the brigand demo craig, and it was because it was very modern sounding but at the same time retained a lot of the classic vibe that I love. Idk if you intended for that to happen, but that's how I interpreted it.

I taste a hint of metalcore... I think I hear it a little bit in Lake Bodom and If You Want Peace... Prepare For War

And of course, they do have a major pop influence with songs like "Oops I Did It Again"
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #39
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain

they are one of my favorites also. along with lamb of god and a bunch of other metal bands from diff genres.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #40
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Thanks Craig. That is what my opinion is. I realize post production and multi-tracking etc play a part too. I think it is pertinent to this forum in particular because metal seems to be the number one genre and people looking for new amps typically play metal BUT.....have a lower budget than say Rig-Talk.

Lower budget usually means what?

*Simpler circuit
*lower wattage
*smaller transformers
*corners cut

??

In other words, if I have the right circuit can I still get modern metal out of the amp if it is 5 watts? 20 watts? $400 new?

Can I get a compressed, thick, tight, bass heavy tone with a low watt low budget amp?

Rate This Thread: