Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #181
Viban
UG's resident bum

I don't know how but you've somehow managed to make an extremely decadent, yet not gaudy guitar. I applaud you sir, its bright and a little flashy but not obnoxious.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #182
logicbdj

Thanks. It won't be to everyone's liking, but I wanted to go that extra step in 'decoration,' and it can be difficult if there's too much flash that does not coordinate, if you know what I mean. What's cool about this guitar is the wide range of participation. The fretboard from India, the inlay from Korea, the body from Brazil, the tuner heads and knobs from a silversmith in BC Canada, the pickups from Hungary, the luthier in the USA, the case design from USA, the machine heads and bridge from Germany.
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #183
logicbdj

A photo of one of the tuners attached to the gears... as well as a short video of the item:

http://www.deepcutmetalart.com/clients/Leaf_peg.MOV
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #184
logicbdj

By the way... if you think this guitar is flashy... it's nothing compared to these mother of pearl works. This is a general Google search on the subject, but scroll down and check some of them out. Some beautiful work!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=moth...iw=1920&bih=953
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #185
logicbdj

Below is the style of trem arm I want on this guitar. Such an arm does not exist for the Schaller bridge being installed... and so the luthier is building one from stratch.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #186
inkandlead

I'll be honest, I hate those tuners. but the body came together way nicer than I anticipated. The copper under the mirror is slick.
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #187
logicbdj

The idea is to match the tuners with the vine/leaf concept of the fretboard... and the same with the knobs (being leaves). It will harmonize nicely once done, although not to everyone's taste.

The paint color is interesting... I sent off two paint samples, one being a dark truffle (very dark brown), and the other French Roast (more toward the copper color). I made a mistake and asked the luthier to paint it French Roast, thinking I was asking for the dark brown espresso type color. When he sent me the photo I almost flipped... what the F***! However, once he pieced it together, I'm glad the mistake was made... I think it looks better than if it was all 'too dark' (with the ebony fretboard).
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #188
logicbdj

The fretboard with stainless steel frets (undressed) in.
Attached Images

Last edited by logicbdj : 10-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #189
George Juggles

I love tree of life style inlays. There so pretty.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #190
logicbdj

My luthier did a short blog update:

http://caspersguitarshop.wordpress....oject-progress/
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #191
logicbdj

Below is the neck a little more dressed and peg holes drilled. The truss rod cover is shown with the Vai logo and a single pass of the engraving chisle (yet to be fine-edged and chromed). Details on what has taken place found on the luthier's blog:

http://wp.me/p2IaxD-1l

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #192
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

i was following this, re-opened

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #193
logicbdj

The luthier is hoping to have things put together this week for a sound check. He's waiting on a custom case by Scott Ouderkirk and two engraved plates (one shown above, and a hand-engraved trem cover for the back. The guy who did the painting of the body is in Las Vegas on business, and so the neck is being shipped there so that he can match the headstock.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #194
C_Hart

My problem with this is that there is SO much decoration going on that no one piece of it can stand out. An observer will not get the impact of the custom knobs and tuners, or the engraved pickup covers because there is so much else that is getting in the way. even though you are putting these really cool things onto your guitar, they are not being featured, merely cancelled out by each other. Although it is incredibly interesting to see how far you can take getting a custom guitar made for you.
C_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #195
kiaba94

although on the flip side, since there is so much decoration going on the more you study it the more little details you find on it. i don't think its overly flashy and i think most of the decorative aspects are very tasteful.
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #196
logicbdj

From my perspective, everything is meant to harmonize... one thing compliments the other. If you had a decorative neck (like on this one), yet everything else was typical or plain, it would not work. If you had solid silver tuners and knobs, both of which are very unique and decorative on this guitar, and everything else was plain, again it would not work. To have one part stand out as a 'feature' is what I call a 'sore thumb.'
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #197
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

This is an excercise in pretentiousness... But given that fact I think it actually looks pretty good. I like the copper color of the body especially. I think a JEM is a perfect style to go over the top with too.

For the record; I really like the 'hook' on the bottom that everyone is complaining about. It works well.

Not a guitar I'd want, but that's why it's not my guitar.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #198
George Juggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
This is an excercise in pretentiousness... But given that fact I think it actually looks pretty good. I like the copper color of the body especially. I think a JEM is a perfect style to go over the top with too.

For the record; I really like the 'hook' on the bottom that everyone is complaining about. It works well.

Not a guitar I'd want, but that's why it's not my guitar.

I agree. The hook just gives it personality. And if its not your guitar people shouldn't complain if they don't like it.

The guitar is going along really nicely though, I like how everything compliments each other, and the guitar isn't overly flashy.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #199
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Juggles
And if its not your guitar people shouldn't complain if they don't like it.

Disagree here. Maybe they shouldn't 'complain' but that doesn't mean they shouldn't comment. If you have nothing to say but 'that looks ugly' then of course you shouldn't comment, but a little criticism never hurt anyone.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #200
George Juggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Disagree here. Maybe they shouldn't 'complain' but that doesn't mean they shouldn't comment. If you have nothing to say but 'that looks ugly' then of course you shouldn't comment, but a little criticism never hurt anyone.

yeah, that's true.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2

Rate This Thread: