Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #41
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

I like how people click on a thread knowing it's called Decadent custom guitar and STILL complain that the OP has too much money! I mean that's like clicking on a Ferrari thread and complaining that the OP has too much of a flash car! Looking good so far.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #42
Kyleisthename

I know it doesn't matter since it's your own custom guitar but why not get things that make it play better instead of getting everything silver?

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #43
logicbdj

Will non-silver hardware make it play better? I don't know where you're coming from... the guitar is being built by a master luthier, and having two of his guitars they are incredible (better than my Gibson and Ibanez signature models)... and I'm having hand-made pickups being developed by Sublime Pickups (thanks to a recommendation by a forum member). The rest is icing on the cake, to make this an incredibly high-end instrument in both performance and quality/appearance. If you have concrete ideas, do share.
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #44
logicbdj

Here is the body outline (wood is mahogany)... a basic Jem shape (monkey grip to be added) with a slight curve/change in the tail/butt end.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #45
OneHappyCamper

Nothing against rich people, but watch out that it doesn't end up looking gaudy as shit.

Then again you may be going for a baroque vibe with this, in which case it's going good.
OneHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #46
logicbdj

The objective is to make it highly ornamental and rich looking. Most custom guitars are nothing more than copies of Les Pauls, Strats, etc., and although they may be of a higher quality (built in small quantities to certain specs), there is little visually different about them. The purpose of this project is to integrate various artisans into one intricate design.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #47
Carl6661
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHappyCamper
Nothing against rich people, but watch out that it doesn't end up looking gaudy as shit.

Well said!

Personally, I find the really highly 'blinged out' (for lack of a better phrase) guitars a bit sickly, but then again some people love them. So long as TS is happy with the choices he's making, then I wish him nothing but luck. I look foward to seeing the finished result!

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.

Last edited by Carl6661 : 07-20-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Carl6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #48
cemges
Banned

So you added an iceman detail into a jem, interesting.

Last edited by cemges : 07-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.
cemges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #49
logicbdj

Somewhat... the back end (the curve of the back end) remains Jem-like, but that little 'hook' was added to give the area a bit of personality. Until you mentioned it, I never gave the Iceman any consideration.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj
Will non-silver hardware make it play better? I don't know where you're coming from... the guitar is being built by a master luthier, and having two of his guitars they are incredible (better than my Gibson and Ibanez signature models)... and I'm having hand-made pickups being developed by Sublime Pickups (thanks to a recommendation by a forum member). The rest is icing on the cake, to make this an incredibly high-end instrument in both performance and quality/appearance. If you have concrete ideas, do share.

No, I'm saying that instead of spending more on pointless features why not get something like a sustainer, a 13-pin out, or compensated frets.

There are plenty of more things you could do.

The Youtubes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
logicbdj

I have a sustainer that I can use with all my guitars.

Not even sure if my luthier can compensate frets to alter intonation, etc. (if that's what you mean), but playing any guitar in my collection, I don't sense any difference in that regard (skills adapt accordingly).

Not sure if I have use for a 13-pin midi output from my guitar. I play through a few choice pedals and an amp. I have a '79 Strat hooked up to a GR-33 that I never use. If I want keyboard sounds, etc., I play my keyboard.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
logicbdj

By the way, they're not pointless features if the focus is to create a decorative instrument. And that was clearly stated in the title (DECADENT custom guitar) and throughout with various photos. I think a 13-pin connector is a pointless feature (to me), as would be a sustainer pickup if I don't like the sound of the pickup!

Seriously, I'm sharing the development of a prestigious guitar that involves several artisans, and if people want to check out that development as it proceeds, then please do so. However, most of the comments thus far strike me as being more of envy than anything.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #53
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
No, I'm saying that instead of spending more on pointless features why not get some other pointless features?

fixed

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
logicbdj

LOL. I think some members need to explore the quality of guitars outside what is found in typical music stores, including the detail behind Gerry Garcia's guitar, The Fool guitar (although more paint oriented), but also the craftmanship of guitars from the 1920s on up. I remember seeing a vintage guitar book at Chapters, and some of the guitars in there were works of art... the mother of pearl inlays were incredible... some were adorned with ivory and gold, etc. No, it's not for everyone, but that is NOT the point of this guitar (since none of you will own it or are asked to buy it), but to create a unique and detailed one-of-a-kind guitar with the cooperation of various artisans. If that bothers anyone, then don't come to this thread, and if you think it should consist of other things (e.g., MIDI output), then I encourage you to do that to your guitar and show us the results.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #55
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Well that's just it. I mean it's your guitar, why shouldn't it be exactly how you want it? Whatever happened to "it's not for me, but thanks for sharing your interesting guitar build with us?"

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #56
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Well that's just it. I mean it's your guitar, why shouldn't it be exactly how you want it? Whatever happened to "it's not for me, but thanks for sharing your interesting guitar build with us?"

The internet happened, I think.
The entire point of going all-out on a custom guitar is to get one that looks and sounds just the way you want it. It seems to me like TS has a pretty good idea of what that is, and is going about getting it.
Lucky bugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #57
logicbdj

Another body shot with the details sketched out:
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #58
cemges
Banned

Angle seems pretty bad
cemges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #59
logicbdj

Not sure what you mean, particularly with the adjective 'bad.' It's a Jem body shape with a slight change in the posterior end.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #60
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
fixed

I was just asking him a question of function verses form, not trying to tell him what to do.

The Youtubes

Rate This Thread: