Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #81
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
If you're not careful you're going to get yourself warned or worse, I don't think I've seen many others in this forum section with such a rude attitude. The guitar looks nice though. Are you going to play it much or will it just be a glass case affair?

Who are you referring to?

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #82
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

I think it's looking pretty good. Nice to have something a bit out of the ordinary with regards to shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #83
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Who are you referring to?

TS.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #84
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj
In regard to the 'hook' on the back end, I know others who really like it, and so I guess it depends on taste. And since it's my guitar, that's all that counts.

It might be interesting to make a cardboard female template of the upper rear bout, mol,ified to see what it would look like, if the inset in the lower bout were running parallel to the upper.

That would cause the back upper bout to be angled forward slightly.

As it stands now, I feel it lacks a bit of symmetry. But as you say, personal taste. Just an idea. Who even knows if it needs symmetry?

I'll never get used to the hand hold though. Never ever. Sorry.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-30-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #85
logicbdj

The 'hook' was placed below where the strap lock needs to be (if it goes higher, it needs to be higher and it would look odd [the strap would run over it], and if it ran lower, it would not be as centered to the remainder of the body and symmetry would be lost that way).
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #86
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
TS.

Really? I don't think so. He said one bad thing to someone who has since been banned for trolling.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 07-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #87
logicbdj

The neck blank with angled headstock clamped:
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #88
logicbdj

The pickup choices will be through the custom hand-made Hungarian company SublimePickups.com . The neck position will be Deep Ocean Blue; the bridge position will be Distant Land; the middle pickup will be a MiniMonster usually preserved for the bridge position in a single coil, but with it's mid position it will provide a true single tone when combined with the other pickups, rich in mids and thick. Here is a write-up of the pickups:

DISTANT LAND: Strange structure, neodymium-driven, almost-humbucker sized, noiseless pickup. The name tells all: It does not sound like a single coil, neither humbucker. Though, sweet tonal balance, and blasting, wide-range punch is awaiting for the brave who dare to play with the Distant Land. Might be an alternative for a P90, as can be fit into a dogear or a soapbar P90 cover. Play it nice, it will ring and sing...but hit it hard: the answer will not be so polite.

DEEP OCEAN BLUE: Bright and vivid hi-fi sound with soft, full lows and bell like highs. From clean sounds through biting crunch to the high-gain solos, it can do all.

MINI-MONSTER: This singlebucker family is born to raise hell, give 'em sweet distortion and they will do your every bidding. Of course they can be tamed to produce some nice cleans, especially the Minimonster Jazz at the neck, it has a soft, rounded sound with a modest bell-like ring to it. If you take a Stratocaster with three single-coils, put a Minimonster Bloody at the bridge to have a wild hugemidrange scream punch, big output and some nice singing lead sounds at your disposal. If you don't need that much power you can't go wrong with the Minimonster Crunch, it has enough in it to get that sweet legendary rock tones, it's also a perfect choice for the middle position. Thanks to their unique magnetic structure and the high-tech materials used, the Minimonsters have an unmistakable, very characteristic sound. They are really responsive to different playing styles.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #89
logicbdj

Project still under way... some pictures to come.

The paintjob will be done by www.ripcc.com, a custom auto paint company that has been featured several times in LowRider magazine. The finish will not by typical of guitars.

The truss rod cover and back trem cover will be metal and custom engraved by

www.eddyshandengraving.com
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #90
logicbdj

The pickups have been potted and the humbucker covers were recently received from the engravers. www.SublimePickups.com

Last edited by logicbdj : 08-14-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #91
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

This is pretty nice, actually. I like the hook on the jem.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #92
logicbdj

I was looking for a bit of flare somewhere on the body, and that's what I came up with. The luthier is starting the inlay work this weekend.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #93
logicbdj

It will be another week or so before I get an update photo, but here are some pictures of the guitar strap being shipped to me from www.AlligatorJakes.com ... hornback alligator done in dark sport rust. It may not be for everyone, but I find this very striking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strap1.JPG (28.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Strap2.JPG (31.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Strap3.JPG (21.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #94
logicbdj

I just received my solid silver Treasure Tone pick:

http://www.timber-tones-shop.com/so...ctrum-234-p.asp

OK, I know this is a costly plectrum (although it would last years longer than bags of plastic or nylon picks), but the tone and dynamics that jump out with this pick is incredible! Everything sounds more defined and in your face as it cuts through the mix better than with other picks I have tried, ranging from acrylic to various woods, to plastic, etc.

The weight of the pick also seems to help you maintain control over the strings, and it makes it easier to adjust from soft to loud playing. I had favorite plectrums in the past, but this one beats them all!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
inkandlead

YOU PAID 100 POUNDS FOR A PICK? Thats crazy. I hope you attach it to your keys or something. I don't care how great that may sound, most people pay 30 cents a pick not because they're going to get worn out but because they're going to get lost. I'd hate to see you report back here in a week that you left it on a stage or it fell out of your case somewhere.
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #96
logicbdj

I play in my home, and so I'm not concerned. And there's enough weight behind it that you would know if it fell! Enough weight that it's not prone to flick out from between your fingers either. And keep in mind... it's solid silver... the price is based on the cost of sliver. Years from now you could sell it and possibly make a profit, lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #97
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

I wonder how the silver compares to other metal pics...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #98
Roc8995

Silver actually sounds decent as a pick. I've got a few silver ones, a brass one, stainless steel, and copper. Metal in general is bright and aggressive sounding, with a pronounced attack. Silver and brass both work well for me. They're unique without being too brash. Stainless steel sounds unpleasant to my ears, a bit too shrill. Rough vs smooth finish on the pick makes a big difference, silver is soft enough that it grips nicely with a rough finish. Stainless steel with a smooth finish is way too slippery for me, it just slides right off the string which means you can't dig in, and makes an odd pinging sound when strumming lightly. If you want to try some metal picks out, the brass Ice Pix on Musician's friend are neat, and not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj
And keep in mind... it's solid silver... the price is based on the cost of sliver. Years from now you could sell it and possibly make a profit, lol.

That pick weighs 11.2 grams, which is .395 ounces. Silver's currently trading at just under $30 per ounce, so you bought $12 worth of silver for, how you say, ten times more.
It's ok to say you bought something expensive because it's handmade and shiny and works better. You don't have to pretend it was an investment. We can tell from your threads that you're not one to take cost into consideration when buying.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #99
logicbdj

Doesn't everyone take cost into account when buying anything? What makes you think cost was not considered with the plectrum? It's the shape, design and material that matter... and if you put the wearing ability of such a pick against a few dozen V-Picks (for example), you're at the same cost... and possibly longer life. It's also an issue of prestige... just like a person who buys a quality hand-built guitar to his or her specs, etc. When you die you can't take your money with you, and so enjoy it.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #100
Roc8995

Yeah, again, that's fine. You can spend tons of money on whatever you like, as you show in all these build threads. I just had a problem with you saying that you could sell that pick to a silversmith and make some money on it eventually. That seems pretty disingenuous. You can just say you liked the product and you think it was worth the money.

Rate This Thread: