Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
freddu1

replacing floyd rose with ZR tremolo

Hey all I've got here a Jackson dk2 with a floyd rose, and I prefer ZR tremolos over floyd roses... I was wondering if I could just replace the bridge instead of just buying a new guitar altogether.

What do you think?
freddu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Nope. Those run on ball bearings so you would have to completely re-rout the guitar for it to fit. Just get an Ibanez S series guitar. It would actually be cheaper that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
a drummer

what about replacing an Edge 2 tremolo on a RG with a Floyd Rose?
a drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Same problem. You CAN replace the Edge 2 with an Original Edge though..

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
freddu1

what do you mean I'd have the re rout the whole guitar? is it a problem of the ZR not fitting in the cavity meant for the floyd?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddu1
what do you mean I'd have the re rout the whole guitar? is it a problem of the ZR not fitting in the cavity meant for the floyd?

... as well as the ZR resting on ball-bearings while a Floyd rests on knife-edges. Like the other guy just explained. Completely different mechanisms. You'd at least have to have the studs taken out and the holes for those re-drilled for the weird studs on the ZR. But more likely, you'd have to have the whole route changed. That's a lot of work that needs a lot of time and has to been done by a professional, or it's going to be a mess.
In short, just buying an Ibanez S is probably going to be cheaper.

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:

By "rout" I mean the cutout the the tremolo fits in. They aren't all the same. Ibanez is one company that uses their own systems rather than the "standard" Original Floyd Rose rout. Therefor, their tremolo systems won't fit in guitars that are routed for an OFR or something else.

The OFR and Edge systems use a pivot system based on knife edges. The ZR system uses ball bearings. For you to switch from a knife edge pivot to a ball bearing system, you would need to modify the guitar to use the ball bearings, which would require cutting out areas around the bridge for the right fit and function.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
freddu1

Honestly I don't quite understand, I understand that the cavity for the bridge would need some adjusting, but what do you mean about modifing it for the ball bearings? the strings don't go through the body of the guitar, do they?

would it be easier to use the edge zero? because I like the idea of floating bridges but personally I've found the edge's and ZRs to have a better feel than the FR.

thanks for the info

Last edited by freddu1 : 07-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
orionz06

Square peg, round hole. Just look at them and it will be obvious why it would be so costly.
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

Have you actually done any research at all? Looking at a damn Ibanez catologue would have given you most of the info to understand the issue.

Quote:
Honestly I don't quite understand, I understand that the cavity for the bridge would need some adjusting, but what do you mean about modifing it for the ball bearings?

Okay, let's try this again. This is a tremolo that rests on knife-edges, like a Floyd does:

You see where it says 'pivot point'? That's where there's a knife-edge. If you look sharp, you will see another one on the other side of the baseplate.

These two pivot points are pressed against mounting studs, as seen in this picture:

The guitar's strings and the tremolo-springs in the back-cavity provide the pressure to keep the knife-edges pressed firmly against the studs. Because the surface are of the edges that actually touches the studs is minimal, there is very little friction, which means that the whole thing can easily go back into it's default position after it has been moved. Which is how it can stay in tune so well.

Another approach which abandons this concept is to use ball-bearings instead. These also move very smoothly, almost without friction. They have to be mounted on the side of the baseplate though, which means that the studs connecting the trem to the guitar's body have to be in a different position than with a knife-edge system. You can see this here:

As you can see, the stud (thing at the bottom of the picture) is in a totally different position than in the case of a Floyd (check the first picture for reference). Additionally, it is also a completely different kind of stud, because it has to hold onto a ball-bearing, instead of having a pivot-point pressed against it.
All this means that the old studs on your FR are no use for a ZR trem. New holes for the ZR-studs would need to be drilled, and this is something that needs to be done with precision (just like the rest of it), which means a pro would have to do it. Which makes it expensive. Likely more expensive than just buying one of the lower-end S-models.

Quote:
the strings don't go through the body of the guitar, do they?

the fuck?

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

Last edited by TheQuailman : 07-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: