Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Jimmy Blue

Vox AC30 Vs AC15

Hello UG.

I've been doing a lot of research but can't seem to decide...

The AC30 has a big price difference to the AC15, yet apparently some people prefer the AC15. I know the few major differences but is the 30 any better than the 15 or is it just down to opinion? How big even is the difference? I've played an AC30 before and loved it, would the 15 be similar?

I am in a bluesy/rock/punk band (tweaktheband.bandcamp.com) that's our EP, I'm guitar and vox and am in need of a new amp. In fact, that EP was recorded on an AC30!

Judging by that sound, which amp would be more suitable for me? I'm stumped and hoping somebody here can help point me in the right direction!

Thank you!
Jimmy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Jimmy Blue

Oh yeah, and the awesome blue models you can get... is that literally the only difference? :p

100 extra for a blue amp.. it does look pretty badass though
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
killerkev321

Well I've only tried the AC30 before but I'm assuming their the same except the AC15 has half the power section, if thats true than the AC15 would have earlier power amp distortion so If you like the crunch you might want that but you should really just try both out
killerkev321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
I K0nijn I

The AC15 has a slightly different voicing than the AC30 to my ears, but if you like one, you'll probably like the other as well. If you need cleans live without a PA, definitely go with the AC30. The AC15 doesn't have enough headroom, or you'd have to be OK with "dirty" cleans.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Jimmy Blue

I tend to use a fuzz pedal with the amp set to clean for live gigs - would I be able to find a clean setting on the AC15 to compliment with fuzz? Or is it all like quite grimey clean sounds?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv24LBxiNM8
Here is a short, but good video to compare the two amplifiers.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Seanthesheep

Id get the AC30 if not just for the extra headroom.

Btw be sure to get an Ac30 with Greenbacks or Celestion Blues. And make sure its a 2x12!

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
cheeekens

I asked myself the same question about 2 years ago and ended up getting an AC15 mostly due to the price and the convenience of it's size/weight. From what I remember, there wasn't a huge difference between the "standard" AC15 and the AC30 other than the AC30 has high and low input jacks for both the normal and top boost (a total of 4 input jacks), an effects loop, and two speakers for a fuller sound. Also, the AC15 overdrives sooner(which is nice when you don't want too much volume), but to be honest, I have trouble getting a pure clean sound out of it at medium gig volume; that being said, the clean sound has a warm chime that I've come to prefer over the traditional "Fender" clean sound.

Now the speakers are a different story: the standard AC15 C1 and AC30 C2 both have Celestion Greenback (ceramic) speakers, while the traditional Vox sound is partially credited to the Celestion Alnico Blue speaker. Currently, I believe only the AC30C2X comes with the Celestion Alnico Blue speaker (unless you can find a used AC15CC1X model with a Blue alnico speaker).

How big is the difference between the two speakers? I researched it and found comparison videos on Youtube (although the sound quality of a youtube video can barely be compared to that of an amp) but I never actually tried them side by side; based on the videos, I couldn't really tell a difference. The Blue speaker is about $300 while the Greenback is $120, and the Blue is made with an alnico magnet (warmer, breaks up quick - or so I've heard) while the Greenback is made out of ceramic. Vox fanboys swear by the Alnico Blue and I bought my AC15 with the intent to eventually switch out the Greenback for a Alnico Blue, but I'm happy with the Greenback (when I have $300 to spare, I'll get the Blue). Also, I believe the handwired and some older models have a tube rectifier instead of a solid state rectifier and other differences in circuitry, which (arguably) sound better.

It all comes down to your needs and preference, but there's nothing like trying them both out. Either way, both are awesome amps IMO.
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
cheeekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
I K0nijn I

There is a 212 AC15, by the way.
I chose the greenback over the blue.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
head-case

I would get the AC30, they really put out! I play mine with a fuzz and it's just perfect. No need to even EQ it, I run it in the "normal" channel which is just a volume control. My friend has an AC15 (slightly different model) and he's jealous of my amp. It is really heavy though...
head-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Blueturtleman1

I've got a tweed blues jr and I like it but now that I've tried the ac15 right beside it I would take the Vox for sure. Better sound and features.

Also my buddy just bought the fancy ac30 hand wired with blue backs. Surprisingly we all preferred the overall tone of the basic ac30 with green backs in it. He's not to thrilled after spending almost $900.bucks extra.

Trust your own ears, forget the hype.

Cheers!
Blueturtleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
mEtAlORc
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeekens

....Now the speakers are a different story: the standard AC15 C1 and AC30 C2 both have Celestion Greenback (ceramic) speakers, while the traditional Vox sound is partially credited to the Celestion Alnico Blue speaker. Currently, I believe only the AC30C2X comes with the Celestion Alnico Blue speaker (unless you can find a used AC15CC1X model with a Blue alnico speaker)...

The AC30C2X and the AC30CC2X both have Blue Alnico speakers
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I don't know much about much, but if you get the AC30, you can always pull out two (inner or outer) power tubes to get half power...
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
catlover69

If you're going to use an overdriven tone than the AC15 is your best bet.
I gig with it all the time and it is more than loud enough.

we used it on this album
(removed)

I had an AC30 but it pissed me off to have to carry it places.
catlover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: