Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #61
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/

Apparently thousands partake for people they don't even personally know...

Or http://www.shaveforthebrave.ca/ does a similar thing. And I've personally know quite a few adults to do it.

It's to raise money and if I'm not mistaken, they can use the hair for wigs. What's wrong with that?

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #62
necrosis1193
Better LG than AQ Shipley

Edit: ^Also that.

Quote:
http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/

Apparently thousands partake for people they don't even personally know...

Or http://www.shaveforthebrave.ca/ does a similar thing. And I've personally know quite a few adults to do it.

Again, it's a way of supporting the person. It's a change that is often considered unflattering that someone makes to their appearance for no reason other than to show solidarity for a friend. Regardless of the fact you're already their friend, actions speak louder than words. Actually doing something like this, even if it's trivial in the big picture, is a lot louder of a statement of support than just saying "I'm you're friend, I'm going to stick with you, and you're going to get through this."

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2013: 8-8
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #63
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
Again, it's a way of supporting the person. It's a change that is often considered unflattering that someone makes to their appearance for no reason other than to show solidarity for a friend. Regardless of the fact you're already their friend, actions speak louder than words. Actually doing something like this, even if it's trivial in the big picture, is a lot louder of a statement of support than just saying "I'm you're friend, I'm going to stick with you, and you're going to get through this."

Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting. I'd much rather people don't shave their heads and are actually there for me (of course, I realize there's no reason you can't do both).

And I can't imagine an adult with cancer who's genuinely concerned with how their hair looks (or doesn't, as the case may be).

And I've been around plenty of people with cancer, not one of them ever asked anyone to shave their head. One girl came to school bald as a button and she was fine with it as was everybody else.

Last edited by willT08 : 07-08-2012 at 01:15 AM.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #64
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting.

well what the fuck do you want them to do, administer radiation therapy?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #65
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
And I can't imagine an adult with cancer who's genuinely concerned with how their hair looks (or doesn't, as the case may be).

Really?

I know many many people who absolutely hate that they're going bald. I can only imagine having cancer making those feeling even worse.

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #66
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting. I'd much rather people don't shave their heads and are actually there for me (of course, I realize there's no reason you can't do both).

Yeah but that person who supports you would probably want to support the cause further. That's why they do those hair drives. It raises money, awareness and you can get a rad wig.

Also, some cancers aren't a death sentence and a lot of cancer patients I know/knew did wear wigs. Especially women. Look at Sharon Osbourne during the second season of the show.

Quote:
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #67
necrosis1193

Quote:

Considering the outrageous prices people pay for hair products and haircuts and how much they care, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't consider it a free pass. Plus if it's someone they care about or know well, I guarantee they're not just shaving their head and saying "Well, I did my part."

Quote:

You'd be surprised. Obviously getting past cancer kind of takes priority, but people - especially people who aren't in the best health - can be very self-conscious, and few things hurt that more than feeling bad about how you look. An aunt of mine has had a battle with cancer the past few years, and it's finally come back in the past year or two, but until then I had never seen her without a hat, even at home and in hot weather.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #68
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
well what the fuck do you want them to do, administer radiation therapy?

Probably not. But actually providing some emotional support (or maybe physical if need be) would be of more use to a cancer patient than people having a number one all over.

Quote:
Really?

I know many many people who absolutely hate that they're going bald. I can only imagine having cancer making those feeling even worse.

With all of the cancer sufferer's I've known, the fact that they now have cancer kinda nullifies their worries of baldness.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #69
bradulator
through being cool

oh willy...
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #70
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
oh willy...

Irish coming back to deal with the 4 people I'm trying to reply to would be handy
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #71
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Probably not. But actually providing some emotional support (or maybe physical if need be) would be of more use to a cancer patient than people having a number one all over.

With all of the cancer sufferer's I've known, the fact that they now have cancer kinda nullifies their worries of baldness.

Well not everybody is directly affected by cancer or has somebody they need to support. Does that mean they shouldn't do it because they aren't emotionally supportive to somebody? What's to say people aren't supporting AS WELL as doing something like that?

I just don't understand how this is a bad thing at all.

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #72
palm mute
Reserved User

I was told by a barber that the people who make the wigs for cancer patients have tons of hair but not enough money to make the wigs. And apparently they are picky, no one with grey hair can donate for example.

Oh and shaving your head to show support isn't going to make cancer just go fuck it and leave but it is a huge psychological boost and a symbolic way to show that person is not in their fight alone. Their self confidence is not going to be high when their body is attacking them and growing weak so any kind of moral support like that that says you aren't weird and you are going to make it through this is helpful. It depends on the person really though, if I had cancer I wouldn't want everyone I know to shave their heads too.

every night

Last edited by palm mute : 07-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #73
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
I was told by a barber that the people who make the wigs for cancer patients have tons of hair but not enough money to make the wigs. And apparently they are picky, no one with grey hair can donate for example.

That's kind of weird. You'd think that they would make old people wigs too. Is it for a specific reason?

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #74
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Well not everybody is directly affected by cancer or has somebody they need to support. Does that mean they shouldn't do it because they aren't emotionally supportive to somebody? What's to say people aren't supporting AS WELL as doing something like that?

I just don't understand how this is a bad thing at all.

I never said it was a bad thing, I said it was silly and/or pointless. My problem isn't actually with charities and the like, I just didn't want to trawl local newspaper websites to find examples of adults doing it. And I acknowledged people can shave their head and be supportive.

But people who shave their heads with no intention of actually providing any emotional support are, at least from my point of view, only doing so to make themselves look better and capitalize on their friend's cancer. People who are planning on providing emotional support needn't shave their heads.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #75
Eastwinn
liber abaci

As a way to subtly ruin this thread, I'm going to mention how many people partake in awareness campaigns (despite the fact that they accomplish almost nothing) because we feel obligated to support some sort cause, be it a little empathy mixed with a little conformity, but nearly invariably take the path of least resistance: raising awareness. We feel empathy for strangers but are unlikely to act upon it; yet, when we narrative our life, our failure to act is always a result of environmental factors, but when we do act, it is out of the goodness of our heart. tldr: Our actions, good or bad, often times have little to do with good or bad. Shit sucks man.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #76
necrosis1193

Lets get this back on-topic with a picture of a man in a flood going into about 4-5 feet of water to rescue kittens:

Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #77
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

This young man made me cry. Such a sweet man.

Oh damn............must regain manliness.
macaroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #78
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
I never said it was a bad thing, I said it was silly and/or pointless. My problem isn't actually with charities and the like, I just didn't want to trawl local newspaper websites to find examples of adults doing it. And I acknowledged people can shave their head and be supportive.

But people who shave their heads with no intention of actually providing any emotional support are, at least from my point of view, only doing so to make themselves look better and capitalize on their friend's cancer. People who are planning on providing emotional support needn't shave their heads.

Yeah but I feel like that specific situation RARELY happens. If they don't support the friend, why would they shave their head? Really who capitalizes on their friends cancer? If its an actual friend, you wouldn't be thinking that way.

They would look just as good donating to a foundation.

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #79
palm mute
Reserved User

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
That's kind of weird. You'd think that they would make old people wigs too. Is it for a specific reason?

I don't know, this is all just what a barber told some lady when I was in there a long time ago. I've admittedly never looked up to see if it's true but I never had any reason to doubt it.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #80
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
I don't know, this is all just what a barber told some lady when I was in there a long time ago. I've admittedly never looked up to see if it's true but I never had any reason to doubt it.

I just think its kind of weird. You'd think he'd mention why.

Quote:

Only at times, though.

Rate This Thread: