Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
codeman555

circle picking

I was analyzing my picking the other day and i realized i circle pick. I kind of want to change that now as i feel I can pick much faster from my wrist if i work on it. Any suggestions on how to train myself to only pick with my wrist?
codeman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Bottle of Dirt
She called me...Horsey

I know what circle jerking is but not circle picking.
I know if you're trying to only pick from your wrist, get yourself a guitar that neck dives(you could also change where the strap attaches to change the balance point) and you'll start using your forearm to keep the neck up. This makes you pick almost exclusively with your wrist.
That being said, I'd imagine you'd have better stamina AND speed if you picked with your entire arm not just certain parts of it.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle of Dirt
I know what circle jerking is but not circle picking.
I know if you're trying to only pick from your wrist, get yourself a guitar that neck dives(you could also change where the strap attaches to change the balance point) and you'll start using your forearm to keep the neck up. This makes you pick almost exclusively with your wrist.
That being said, I'd imagine you'd have better stamina AND speed if you picked with your entire arm not just certain parts of it.

1 - Circle picking is picking from the thumb and fingers only.

2 - No and no, suggesting new gear for a technique issue is stupid and stamina generally comes from relaxation and economy of motion before anything else. Your upper arm muscles have better things to be doing than moving the pick and keeping your guitar in place.

TS: Really the only thing there is to do is just do it. It's not something there are any specific exercises for as exercises generally don't help with this kind of technique issue. Just take it slow and make sure you're doing it right and you'll get there in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
poisonousmetal

I would say, start strumming first, which will get your hand used to the movement
poisonousmetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: