Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Spaztikko

NZers - Have you bought necks off this seller?

My mate's putting together a build, and found this guy selling necks on trademe.

THIS is the neck in question. He does have two questions

1) Are the seller's necks reputable, or of good quality?

2) Like me, he has an allergy to nuts, and so cannot even touch walnut wood without getting headaches or worse. For those who have bought this neck, does it contain the walnut skunk stripe on the back, or is it straight maple?
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

not sure if eden or other chinese necks being resold..

You deserved this, Matt.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Hey man, can't vouch for the trademe seller sorry. I may have an extra neck coming my way soon, which I'd be happy to send your way for the cost of shipping - I bought a real cheap-ass guitar to grab the hardware for the 100GBP challenge, and don't really have any use for the neck or body. The body is pretty rough and probably not worth the effort, but the neck seems to be in pretty good nick. There is some minor (cosmetic) damage to the fretboard where the nut sits, but it's fully varnished so should be pretty safe regarding allergies. If you're after a free neck then just let me know

Last edited by Boysie8 : 09-01-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Boysie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Necks with rosewood fret-boards usually don't have the skunk-stripe since the channel for the truss rod can be routed out of the top before the rosewood is glued on.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
HKSR33
UG's Cancer Bats fan

i bought one. it was rubbish, needed fret levelling and dressing. trussrod was also very average.

you do get what you pay for at the end of the day.
HKSR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
MetalSlvg

I can't say about the necks from that guy, but for my homebuilt strat I got one of these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...n-508427391.htm

I got mine without the tuners etc and had a locking nut installed up at Ash Customworks when I got the body painted.

The necks got a good feel to it and I love it.
MetalSlvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Spaztikko

MetalSlvg, does it have the walnut skunk piece? Because if it does I cannot even consider it, but yes, that was the other seller I was considering, and it looked pretty good. Really I was only considering the seller "webdude" due to the flame maple on the necks. Also the locking tuners will mean I may not even buy a floyd, and so have to deal with routing out a stewmac body, which is koo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysie8
\I may have an extra neck coming my way soon, which I'd be happy to send your way for the cost of shipping - I bought a real cheap-ass guitar to grab the hardware for the 100GBP challenge, and don't really have any use for the neck or body. The body is pretty rough and probably not worth the effort, but the neck seems to be in pretty good nick. There is some minor (cosmetic) damage to the fretboard where the nut sits, but it's fully varnished so should be pretty safe regarding allergies. If you're after a free neck then just let me know

PM sent. If not for me, I'll happily use it on my cousin's POS, because literally anything would be better for him than current.

EDIT: Have any of you had dealings with this guy, in specifically this kit: http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...n-510209309.htm.
Genuinely appeals, cuz I like JEMs, and also maybe a strat body will be purchased instead, but I need to know if the quality is up there with StewMac and the like, and not completely balls apparently like the necks in OP.

Last edited by Spaztikko : 09-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
MetalSlvg

It doesn't have the skunk stripe, it's just plain maple/maple.

Allergies suck, and I've collected the whole set!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Spaztikko

Sweet. I'm gonna re-do my budget and definitely look into that neck.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko

EDIT: Have any of you had dealings with this guy, in specifically this kit: http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...n-510209309.htm.
Genuinely appeals, cuz I like JEMs, and also maybe a strat body will be purchased instead, but I need to know if the quality is up there with StewMac and the like, and not completely balls apparently like the necks in OP.

I have dealt with sharper and he is good to deal with. The neck I got of him wasn't as good as the DR Parts neck I have. Also I think those kits are shite from what I have read
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Spaztikko

Yeah. I've posted up a partslist, in another thread here. Gonna go with Metalslvg's neck provider.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
MetalSlvg

WIN!

Seriously though, you're in Auckland and you have Ash Customworks in the area. I got a body from ebay and the neck and sent them up to get a recessed floyd installed in the body and the locking nut in the neck. I got the neck and body matched so there aren't any tuning issues.

I HIGHLY recommend getting everything checked by a good luthier before you put it all together and realise that your open E becomes an F when your at the 12th fret.

A bridge too far?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Spaztikko

Man, that must've sucked if it did.
I'll definitely go see him sometime when I have the cash, to get everything looked over fixed from my amazing handiwork terrible work.

Rate This Thread: