Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
krypticguitar87
thats that...

blackouts and emg

I was wondering if anyone here knows if seymour duncans blackouts can use the same connections as the EMG solderless wiring kit?
I'd like to know because I recently put some emgs in one of my guitars and it was amazingly easy and I know it will also be easy to change to any other emg pick up, so I was curious if I'd be able to change to a set of blackouts just as easily.

Aonther quick question is, does anyone have experience with the seymour duncan solderless kit? This one I'm curious about because I have a bare bones 7 string (no electronics got it for way cheap) and emgs don't fit in it but the blackouts phase I will so I was thinking I'd fit it with those, although I guess if they fit the emg things I could do that cuz I have a bunch of extra pieces...

Anyways I'd appreciate any help
krypticguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Blackouts can fit to the EMG quick-connect system, but be aware you have to reverse a few wires (just like swapping colours over between brands of passive pickup). It's very easy; the SD site tells you what part you need to flip over.

Though be aware that some EMGs (notably the X-series) now use active tone controls which won't work with the Blackouts or other EMGs.

The SD Liberator kit is very simple to use. It's basically the EMG pickup/battery buss mounted to a pot. However, it is not compatible with active pickups as it only comes in 250k and 500k versions and actives require 25k pots. use the EMG products for active pickups and the SD products for passives.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
krypticguitar87
thats that...

Awesome thank you for your very informative answer!

I'll check sd's site for the switch, I tried to google earlier today but all I kept finding were people looking for spare parts...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

Most EMG pickups use a 3 pin quick connect and Blackouts use the same 3 pin quick connect. I recently removed the EMGs from my LTD EC1000FR and installed a set of Blackouts. For a while it had a Blackout in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck. All I did was swap the pickups. I never touched the rest of the wiring. Everything works perfectly and sounds awesome. The EMG solderless kits can be used with Blackouts without making any changes.

This is from the X Series spec sheet on EMG's site:
EMG-X Series Pickups are compatible with all EMG Active Pickups. They use the connector system for easy installation, avoiding the need to solder. Older EMG Pickups may need to be soldered, while the newer systems can be easily connected and modified. The X-Series Active Tone Control (VLPF) is compatible with older EMG Pickups and can be used in place of the passive tone control used with other EMG Active Pickups.

And check out this thread for alot more helpful info on Active pickups.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1254306
zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79

This is from the X Series spec sheet on EMG's site:
EMG-X Series Pickups are compatible with all EMG Active Pickups. They use the connector system for easy installation, avoiding the need to solder. Older EMG Pickups may need to be soldered, while the newer systems can be easily connected and modified. The X-Series Active Tone Control (VLPF) is compatible with older EMG Pickups and can be used in place of the passive tone control used with other EMG Active Pickups.

If you check the EMG forums you'll see staff saying, multiple times, that this is not the case. Although regular EMGs (and by extension, Blackouts) will technically still make a noise if paired with the X-series active tone control, it will not sound right, be poorly balanced and the impedance gets ****ed up. The easiest fix is to swap the tone control for an EMG EQ control, which will make them both sound right though it will mean your battery drains much, much faster.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
krypticguitar87
thats that...

Thanks to both of you guys, after looking at the sd site and wiring for the blackouts, it doesn't seem like I have to change anything, but if I do its as simple as plugging in the quick connect wire in the other way. I'll let you know how it comes out when I can get my hands on these pickups in the next few months.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
If you check the EMG forums you'll see staff saying, multiple times, that this is not the case. Although regular EMGs (and by extension, Blackouts) will technically still make a noise if paired with the X-series active tone control, it will not sound right, be poorly balanced and the impedance gets ****ed up. The easiest fix is to swap the tone control for an EMG EQ control, which will make them both sound right though it will mean your battery drains much, much faster.

Looks like EMG needs to update some of their spec sheets doesn't it.
zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
MrFlibble

EMG aren't quick to update anything. I've been dealing with them directly for a while now and there's lots of stuff they've been meaning to add to their site (especially the store) but they haven't actually updated anything in a few months. They only added on the page for the 60AX and DLC covers after I asked one of the PR guys what the **** they were doing.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Ruben crash

hey guys, can i have the site to know witch wires i should flip i am not sure if my abh1's are sounding like they sappose to and i been seeing u have to switch wires please help
Ruben crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Not helpful i know but personally I really don't like the quick connect stuff. I can see the advantage in it, but I find it a little untidy and unnecessary. Am i alone in this? Hope this doesn't seem like a thread hijacking, please disregard my post if it does!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
batfink84

Pot

Hi all,

I same situation.

Last edited by batfink84 : 09-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
batfink84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: