Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
ExDementia
UG Freak

Buried at Sea (Full band - Black/Death Metal) C4C

This is Buried at Sea by my band Gravespell. This is the opening track on our self produced first album. This song and the rest of the album are all a work in progress. Most everything is recorded, we're just in the mixing/mastering stage right now.

I would really appreciate any feedback you guys have, good or bad. We recorded this on a very low budget, and are learning a ton as we go along, so any criticism will go to good use. I'm rhythm guitar and low vocals, if it matters.

Buried at Sea (Not a final mix, and is not mastered)

There's a ton of awesome music in this forum, so this is definitely C4C.

Last edited by ExDementia : 07-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
MetalCommand
Disappear to Infinity

Thanks for the crit on mine. On to yours...

Intro has quite an eerie/scary feel to it. Arpeggios are quite nice. The drums are a little quiet when they come in. It's sounds like they are being played really well, so would be good to hear them more. Riff that starts around 2:00 is cool, and the vocals are good too and fit in very well. Good idea to go back to the arpeggios around 4:00. Guitars are played really well throughout and are extremely tight. Ending is cool. Overall I like it, nice work!
MetalCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
JDawg00100
^ thats me

Location: The seventh layer of hell, next door to Martha Stewart
Wow I like it, pretty sweet feel you got going on in this song. Intro is great, but when the guitar and vocals kick in its awesome. Love that stuff. Nice guitar work as well, drums sound good. Acoustic guitar adds a nice feeling to the song.

Nice job I liked it a lot
JDawg00100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Shawn050

Thanks for the crit bro...

Going on what everyone else said though, I definitely like the feel of the song. The chord shapes come out well, I like the eerie feel as well. Just have the drums brought out more or even just the snare alone.

Props to your drummer for great playing.

Overall, good song though. Def good for shows. Ill sub. Keep me posted bro
Shawn050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
beau05
UG Senior Member

Cheers for the crit man

It sounds pretty sick eh, the intro reminds of Testament at the start, then feels like it's a descent into a madness when the crushing riffage comes in. The dual vocals are a bit weird, it's sorta like 2 contrasting styles, I guess that's what yous were going for haha. I like the atmospheric vibe to it, and it's dynaimic as f*ck

Neck snappingly good!
beau05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
le screamist

Thanks for the critz bro,

Good song, really liked the dual vocals, reminded me a lot of Behemoth. I also really liked the Opethish acoustic guitar intro. Good dynamic contrast with the middle acoustic section, but the riff that it comes out into sounded a bit too typical compared to the rest of the song. Sometimes the left and right guitars sound slightly out of time with each other, but a stellar job otherwise man \m/
le screamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Nitzors

Thanks for the crit, on to yours. The intro is eerie/creepy, love it. Transition into the heavy part is good. Drums sound good, I love the sound of the kick. I've never really been into black metal vocals, but it sounds like the vocalist is knowing what he's doing. I love how it transitions back and forth between clean and heavy also. Pretty good overall! Keep it up.
Nitzors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
nicomortem
Banned

sounds like an authentic blackened death metal band, and the "low budget" recording adds to that, I think.
nicomortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

love the opening, how did you create those atmospheric noises?

i didn't think the tone of the acoustic guitar tone fit into the noise very well at first, but it's alright once the background starts to fade. on its own, it's a very nice tone. very...lush. maybe make it a little thinner during the oscillating noises, i think the creepiness would be enhanced with less of a warm tone. but i'm nitpicking.

these are some good progressions! strong mystical kind of feel. the section starting from around 2:50 is fantastic, awesome riff!

4:30 is kinda plain, but i guess it serves the song. i'm picking up on a little sloppiness on the recording. transitions well into the ending, which i really like as well.

great songwriting, would listen to more. the mix job sounds okay to me, has just a little touch of that lo-fi black metal spirit but is still very modern.

check mine out? hopefully you'll be into this kind of stuff:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...52#post29998652

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
love the opening, how did you create those atmospheric noises?

i didn't think the tone of the acoustic guitar tone fit into the noise very well at first, but it's alright once the background starts to fade. on its own, it's a very nice tone. very...lush. maybe make it a little thinner during the oscillating noises, i think the creepiness would be enhanced with less of a warm tone. but i'm nitpicking.

these are some good progressions! strong mystical kind of feel. the section starting from around 2:50 is fantastic, awesome riff!

4:30 is kinda plain, but i guess it serves the song. i'm picking up on a little sloppiness on the recording. transitions well into the ending, which i really like as well.

great songwriting, would listen to more. the mix job sounds okay to me, has just a little touch of that lo-fi black metal spirit but is still very modern.

check mine out? hopefully you'll be into this kind of stuff:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...52#post29998652

The opening was made on an old Korg synth module that my drummer has with some sound clips of waves that we found online. Then we added a super reverby-delayed-watery sounding atmospheric guitar track doing chords of the base notes of the first riff.

Yeah, the tone on the acoustic was a little too warm and organic, we actually EQ'd a lot of that out, then added an electric guitar clean track following the acoustic to try to mask it (the very first guitar you hear is the electric, then the acoustic fades in).

Now that I think about it, we put way more effort into that one intro than anything else on the album, lol.

Thanks for the reply, just checked your song out and left a comment. Gotta love black metal
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
aaron aardvark

ExDementia,
Good spooky intro. I liked the first 1:30 (very mellow for death metal)! I don't like growling vocals, so I won't comment on those. Guitar playing is good! Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1547943
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #12
Dores

Intro sounds great! Guitar/bass tones have that really nice old school black metal feel to them, it just sounds... authentic. Great job man! Vocals sound nice and evil too.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1551823

Bandcamp
Facebook
Dores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
MatrixClaw
UG God

Really don't like the vocals (and I AM a fan of growls), they don't really add anything to the song, and just end up distracting me from what is a great instrumental. Everything else is pretty awesome, dig it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: