Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
Hydra150
not so cowardly

So getting one on one (not online I mean) lessons is out of the question for you? Dont you live in a decent sized city?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #22
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

I don't really have the transportation to get to a guitar teacher. I live a 3 minute bike ride away from a guitar center... you think they give decent lessons?

Hell.. the best buy next to it has a music section and I think they even offer guitar lessons... hmmm.

Oh and if you're all wondering...

The Tom Hess lessons range from 55-59 dollars depending on how often you pick to have them sent to you.

"To help you decide which option to choose, I recommend the following guideline:

If you can 'usually' practice 14 or more hours per week, then I recommend to take lessons once a week. (This means you will get a new lesson every week). 22% of my students choose this option.

If you can 'usually' practice 10-13 hours per week, then I recommend to take lessons once every 2 weeks. (This means you will get a new lesson once every two weeks.) 34% of my students choose this option.

If you can 'usually' practice 7-9 hours per week, then I recommend to take lessons once every 3 weeks. (This means you will get a new lesson once every three weeks.) 29% of my students choose this option.

If you can 'usually' practice less than 7 hours per week, then I recommend to take lessons once every 4 weeks. (This means you will get a new lesson once every four weeks.) 11% of my students choose this option.

If you can 'usually' practice less than 4 hours per week, then I recommend to take lessons once every 6 weeks. (This means you will get a new lesson once every 6 weeks.)
4% of my students choose this option."

Once a week $55.00
Once Every 2 weeks $55.00
Once Every 3 weeks $57.00
Once Every 4 weeks $58.00
Once Every 6 weeks $59.00

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-19-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Who Sh0t Ya HxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #23
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
I live a 3 minute bike ride away from a guitar center... you think they give decent lessons?

Personally, I would try that before giving money away on the interweb......
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #24
Hail
kill both bass players

if you have an old keyboard laying around (everybody seems to), you could always get piano lessons. the theoretical aspects will carry over to guitar without all the mucky muck a lot of guitar teachers throw at you (read: "if you want a cool scale, man, you should, like, learn modes")
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #25
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

That and Tom Hess seems a little weird... sending prerecorded lessons to people..... What about one on one? That is more important than.... what ever it is he teaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
wench38
Bahhh..

The JustinGuitar lessons are much better for what you want and easy to follow. The whole Tom Hess thing is just awful for the most part.

I've tried the Jamplay trial and if you don't like Justin, you won't like them either.

Sounds like what you really want is a local teacher that can tell you what to adjust .
And being self-taught has nothing to do with being a beginner and not learning. Alot is self motivation and practice. There a several books and DVD's on how and what to learn and what order. Hal Leonard-- been around for decades and started many of us.

Barre chords.. comes down to practice. They've never been easy. Put down the T.V. Remote or xbox controller and spend some time EVERY day practicing them. You will improve at them.
wench38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

The problem with learning on my own, is that I don't know exactly what I should be learning. I need someone to tell what I don't know so that they can tell me what I need to learn.

For example, I don't understand chords. Sure you can explain to me the definition or tell me to go learn chords. Learning and memorizing chord shapes does not help me understand them, I know some but it doesn't help me. I want to know how they work in songs, when you use them, how do they help me in creating songs... I play metal genres most metal bands I know I don't see them pulling out an A chord or whatever.

As for the barre chords... forget them, I'm not taking Tom's lessons, therefore I can put that off until after I understands chords in general.

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-19-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
vampirelazarus

So...

Go learn the notes on the fretboard, then lessen how to construct the major scale, then learn the intervals in making chords, then learn their functions in a given key.

Edit: I could tell you this stuff, but I'm on my phone and hate using it on forums for long posts.

Quote:

Last edited by vampirelazarus : 07-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
Hail
kill both bass players

Code:
e)----8----- B)----8----- G)----9----- D)----10---- A)----10---- E)----8-----

just to get your feet wet:

this is a C major chord. if you wanted, you could even imagine it as a sweep arpeggio

Code:
e)---------------8h12(T)19p12p8-------------- B)-------------8----------------8------------- G)------------9------------------9------------ D)----------10--------------------10---------- A)--------10------------------------10-------- E)----8h12-----------------------------12p8----

whether or not your at the sweeping level, you can see that they have basically the same notes. a lot of metal players don't even realize that the intricate sweep patterns they do are just within the confines of chord tones, and don't realize that by learning to make their own chords, they can make their own arpeggio voicings as well. i doubt you're sweeping if you can't perform barre chords, but honestly i was trying (and failing) to sweep long before i even knew what a barre chord was

now, how do you get the chords, and how do they interact?

C major has no sharps or flats, so the diatonic notes in the key of C major are:

C D E F G A B

within the chord, the voicing is C G C E G C

so, essentially, it's C E G.

now, if we number the notes in the key in order tonally:

Code:
R 2 3 4 5 6 7 C D E F G A B

C E G are the root, 3rd, and 5th in a major "triad", making a C major chord.

now, if you take that same key, and try to make, say, a D chord, your key signature has no sharps or flats, so you're stuck in that. typically theory doesn't have rules, but hypothetically speaking let's pretend you're forced to not use any accidentals here. you'd do the same thing as the C - add the 3rd and 5th note in the series if the D was the root.

D F A will spell out the chord. now, if you play that on your guitar, it'd be

Code:
e)----10----- B)----10----- G)----10----- D)----12----- A)----12----- E)----10-----

that's not a major chord! a D major chord has an F# instead of an F, but because we can't use sharps or flats here, the 3rd is flattened.

now, i could do this and spell out triads all over the neck for you in C major, but you know the basic shapes you'll get and what to look for. you don't have to play these barre chords yet, but understand what they mean and be able to spell them out.

these are only triads - the most basic of chords, other than dyads (like power chords and double stops) - but once you understand the difference between major and minor chords and their role within each major and minor key, you have the resources at your disposal to figure out 7th chords and beyond.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

If you send me your email, I'd be happy to shoot you over a course catalog. Also, I mentor people for free, and maybe I can help get you "unstuck". Because the very things that you are asking, makes me think we might be able to help!

Best,

Sean

Quote:
The problem with learning on my own, is that I don't know exactly what I should be learning. I need someone to tell what I don't know so that they can tell me what I need to learn.

For example, I don't understand chords. Sure you can explain to me the definition or tell me to go learn chords. Learning and memorizing chord shapes does not help me understand them, I know some but it doesn't help me. I want to know how they work in songs, when you use them, how do they help me in creating songs... I play metal genres most metal bands I know I don't see them pulling out an A chord or whatever.

As for the barre chords... forget them, I'm not taking Tom's lessons, therefore I can put that off until after I understands chords in general.

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #31
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
Code:
e)----8----- B)----8----- G)----9----- D)----10---- A)----10---- E)----8-----

just to get your feet wet:

this is a C major chord. if you wanted, you could even imagine it as a sweep arpeggio

Code:
e)---------------8h12(T)19p12p8-------------- B)-------------8----------------8------------- G)------------9------------------9------------ D)----------10--------------------10---------- A)--------10------------------------10-------- E)----8h12-----------------------------12p8----

whether or not your at the sweeping level, you can see that they have basically the same notes. a lot of metal players don't even realize that the intricate sweep patterns they do are just within the confines of chord tones, and don't realize that by learning to make their own chords, they can make their own arpeggio voicings as well. i doubt you're sweeping if you can't perform barre chords, but honestly i was trying (and failing) to sweep long before i even knew what a barre chord was

now, how do you get the chords, and how do they interact?

C major has no sharps or flats, so the diatonic notes in the key of C major are:

C D E F G A B

within the chord, the voicing is C G C E G C

so, essentially, it's C E G.

now, if we number the notes in the key in order tonally:

Code:
R 2 3 4 5 6 7 C D E F G A B

C E G are the root, 3rd, and 5th in a major "triad", making a C major chord.

now, if you take that same key, and try to make, say, a D chord, your key signature has no sharps or flats, so you're stuck in that. typically theory doesn't have rules, but hypothetically speaking let's pretend you're forced to not use any accidentals here. you'd do the same thing as the C - add the 3rd and 5th note in the series if the D was the root.

D F A will spell out the chord. now, if you play that on your guitar, it'd be

Code:
e)----10----- B)----10----- G)----10----- D)----12----- A)----12----- E)----10-----

that's not a major chord! a D major chord has an F# instead of an F, but because we can't use sharps or flats here, the 3rd is flattened.

now, i could do this and spell out triads all over the neck for you in C major, but you know the basic shapes you'll get and what to look for. you don't have to play these barre chords yet, but understand what they mean and be able to spell them out.

these are only triads - the most basic of chords, other than dyads (like power chords and double stops) - but once you understand the difference between major and minor chords and their role within each major and minor key, you have the resources at your disposal to figure out 7th chords and beyond.

All this chord talk is like math to me... so confusing. I don't know what triads are, or what diatonic is, or what a voicing is. Thanks for trying to help though...

I'm going to need something more remedial and simple.

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-20-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #32
Captaincranky

Quote:
All this chord talk is like math to me...
That's exactly what music is, applied mathematics. And BTW, not very difficult math. In most cases, simple addition and subtraction.

You need to learn the most basic level of music theory. How to form a major scale, how to extract and form the chords created by it.

If you don't have that down, most everything will sound incomprehensible to you.

And IMO, you're really not at a level where you should start investing big buck into an online course. Basic theory, with a bit of resolve, you should almost be able to teach yourself. There is a point where everything simply falls into place. Why notes are sharps or flats, why certain groups of chords are associated with a certain key, and on....Why everything depends on a working understanding of the "chromatic scale"..

I don't fully have the drift of this thread down, but it seems you want to run before you can walk.

Basic theory might even be easier to learn if you have access to a piano. A keyboard is a very graphic representation of the relationship between notes. The fret board is far more abstract.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-20-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
All this chord talk is like math to me... so confusing. I don't know what triads are, or what diatonic is, or what a voicing is. Thanks for trying to help though...

i wasn't sure how much you understood, so the better way is to have you ask than make it even longer

a triad is just a grouping of 3 notes in a chord. like i said, a power chord is a dyad - 2 notes, the root and the fifth. a triad is essentially the same thing - the root, third, and fifth, typically.

diatonic just means "within the key". in C major, that means no sharps or flats, so i was trying to show you how to build triads within that scale - C major, D minor, E minor, &c.

a voicing is just, well, where the note is on the fretboard, what octave it's in, whatever. playing an A on the 5th note of the E string is a different voicing from playing it on the 0th fret of the A string.

i'd go to musictheory.net and start on lessons. i thought you knew a little more than you did, but it's hard to judge without that person-to-person thing. start from scratch on there and work on memorizing notes on the fretboard, and, most importantly, go at your own pace. don't rush anything or you'll have to go back and relearn it later.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
wench38
Bahhh..

Extreme basics...
Learn your notes on your fretboard. Start with the lowest strings E and A first and work from there. http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-007-NotesOnNeck.php

Learn your musical alphabet A, a#,B,C,c#,D,d#,E,F,f#,G . = From A to A# is a half step, C-D is a whole step etc etc. Half step is 1 fret, a whole step is 2 frets

Then learn your intervals ,
After than learn Scale construction ( C major scale is easiest at first)
CDEFGABC = WWHWWWH step formula

Then Chords are formed from there.
Musictheory.net as mentioned above is a good place. There are also a ton of youtube vids and sites around. Just google for each part.
This stuff is actually very easy and no expensive lessons are really needed for it. Just takes a bit of time to practice and look at.

Last edited by wench38 : 07-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.
wench38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:

I didn't see a PM from you, so I'm guessing you've gotten things sorted and are OK now! Good luck with that

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #36
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i thought you knew a little more than you did, but it's hard to judge without that person-to-person thing. start from scratch on there and work on memorizing notes on the fretboard, and, most importantly, go at your own pace. don't rush anything or you'll have to go back and relearn it later.

Been playing for 4 years and I don't have knowledge about anything really. But through out my time I have noticed the intervals I think they're called, on the fret board. For example if I start on the 7th fret on the A string and I just go up the fret board W H W W H W W W H W

it sounds naturally good and that it seems that those sounds go together for the key of E.

I realized that this was a pattern on all the strings, but I had no idea what it was, I have the pattern memorized on any string. I just have to play the first note in order to know how the rest of the pattern goes on the string. I don't why, but I thought I would say that, that is what I picked up on my own in the years I've played, even though it's nothing special to learn. Other than that I'm a noob.

EDIT: Didn't see this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wench38

Then learn your intervals ,
After than learn Scale construction ( C major scale is easiest at first)
CDEFGABC = WWHWWWH step formula

So what I picked up on my own, was scale construction?

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-20-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
vampirelazarus

Seventh fret of the A string buddy. Seventh fret is E.

But yeah, you found it by ear, and that's pretty ****ing sweet.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
Seventh fret of the A string buddy. Seventh fret is E.

But yeah, you found it by ear, and that's pretty ****ing sweet.

Ahh yes... I meant 7th.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #39
Spaztikko

Holy shit there is no way in hell I'd pay someone 50 bucks for a lesson each week which is pre-recorded.

I pay 100 NZ for literally an entire year's half an hour once a week lessons.

dat shit cray.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #40
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
I pay 100 NZ for literally an entire year's half an hour once a week lessons.

Whaaaaaa????

Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: