Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #41
Spaztikko

Sure, its offered by my school for students, but the other guys in my group are lazy and never come. That means that I pay approx $2.50 for a half hour of one on one tuition each week. On top of this it also means I get to miss half an hour of either double maths or double biology.

Not to brag, or make you guys jealous or anything...
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #42
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

My lessons are about that much per lesson.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #43
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Not to brag, or make you guys jealous or anything...

Bitch, please. I got out of School half an hour a week for guitar lessons and didn't have to pay shit.

Not to mention some days I also had double music and a free period, all of which I spent playing guitar. And PE/RSE, I just played guitar instead of doing that for my final couple years because the schedules were ****ed up.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 07-21-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
gypsyblues7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
I decided not to get Tom Hess' lessons.

Yeah I get that if I don't know beginner stuff like chords, that would still make me a beginner but to be honest you know... being self taught, it sucks... because in the beginning I didn't have a clue of what I was supposed to learn so I never learned anything, no one told me what to learn or what order to learn stuff in.

I made a thread a couple months ago asking for help on the subject of chords, how you use them in a song, when to use them and how to understand them, I read some of the content people posted, especially this one 12 part article called "The Crusade" that someone linked, but the two articles or so that had talked about chords weren't really a beginner's guide to chords and it didn't really help, also not knowing fret notes doesn't help me out either.

Also Justin guitar is still learning on my own, I'm done learning on my own, I need lessons for a person. No time though, which is why I'm looking for online lessons.

Can you get one on one lessons from Jam Play?

Not to sound like a dick, but with the internet, you don't really have an excuse! I would've given my left nut to have all the info that's on the internet back when I was first starting to learn guitar, with no internet, no guitar teachers in my little town, nobody else that I even knew that really played guitar. About the best I could hope for was an occasional guitar magazine at the local 7/11, and that's it. And that was back when a lot of guitarists were still very secretive and protective of their licks and techniques. Now you can find any damn thing on the 'net...songs, tabs, techniques, licks, etc. Guitarists nowadays have it made.
gypsyblues7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #45
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblues7373
Not to sound like a dick, but with the internet, you don't really have an excuse!.

I've heard this a million times. The Internet has all the information in the world sure, but it doesn't tell me where to start, in what order, it doesn't tell me what information is not necessary to learn at the moment. I need communication with a person, that will teach me as if I have never touched guitar before. But now I know.... learning the notes on the fret board is the first thing to do... but wait a minute didn't I just say the Internet will not tell me where to start and in what order?

Yes I did, but I had to ask people in a forum a.k.a direct communication, whereas the Internet we're talking about is... googling results for guitar information which will not give me direct replies, therefore I will be mislead and confused. You don't think I've searched the lessons on this site before? I have, and I have yet to find one lesson where it truly explains chords, how they are used in music, why are they important, etc.
Who Sh0t Ya HxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #46
gypsyblues7373

Quote:
I've heard this a million times. The Internet has all the information in the world sure, but it doesn't tell me where to start, in what order, it doesn't tell me what information is not necessary to learn at the moment. I need communication with a person, that will teach me as if I have never touched guitar before. But now I know.... learning the notes on the fret board is the first thing to do... but wait a minute didn't I just say the Internet will not tell me where to start and in what order?

Yes I did, but I had to ask people in a forum a.k.a direct communication, whereas the Internet we're talking about is... googling results for guitar information which will not give me direct replies, therefore I will be mislead and confused. You don't think I've searched the lessons on this site before? I have, and I have yet to find one lesson where it truly explains chords, how they are used in music, why are they important, etc.

Youtube then. If looking at lines and numbers is confusing, there's hundreds of videos on Youtube containing exactly what you're looking for. Then there are free sites (like Justin Sandercoe's) that have tons of information. If that doesn't float your boat (and you were already thinking about paying for lessons anyway), there's always sites like Guitar Tricks and Truefire. And I don't know how you've been searching this site, but there IS tons of stuff that has exactly the info you're looking for:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...the_basics.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...e_le sson.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...transition.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...tboard_101.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...t_part_1. html
Old 07-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #47
Spaztikko

That or buy the hal leonard book that comes with shitty starter kits.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #48
gypsyblues7373

Or get the "For Dummies" book, I'm sure it teaches every little thing all the way from the most basic stuff up to probably intermediate, or maybe beyond. If there's any "pro" book I would recommend, it's probably Troy Stetina's "Fretboard Mastery". It doesn't go terribly in-depth on specific techniques (tapping, sweeping, etc), but it's astoundingly thorough in that it covers a wide variety of techniques, types of licks, chords, and even has a good deal of theory and ear/interval training, which a lot of books don't.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #49
Spaztikko

Actually, by then you should be buying magazines and downloading other material to expand your songbase and knowledge of different genres.

I wish I could.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #50
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Youtube then. If looking at lines and numbers is confusing, there's hundreds of videos on Youtube containing exactly what you're looking for. Then there are free sites (like Justin Sandercoe's) that have tons of information. If that doesn't float your boat (and you were already thinking about paying for lessons anyway), there's always sites like Guitar Tricks and Truefire. And I don't know how you've been searching this site, but there IS tons of stuff that has exactly the info you're looking for:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...the_basics.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...e_le sson.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...transition.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...tboard_101.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...t_part_1. html

Been on YouTube numerous times before and just like I said before none of the links you posted or any videos that I've seen on YouTube thus far, explain why or when I should be using them. All the information on chords that I see in every video or lesson(just like the ones you posted) are them trying to teach people several different chords, chord shapes, whatever, even if it is just them teaching basic chords.

IT DOES NOT HELP ME. It's not helping me understand why I have to use it, when am I ever going to use this boring garbage shape? When am I ever going to just randomly pull out a C chord? The only chords I use are power chords, and that's because they sound good in the type of music I play and are simple as f***.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #51
gypsyblues7373

Quote:
Been on YouTube numerous times before and just like I said before none of the links you posted or any videos that I've seen on YouTube thus far, explain why or when I should be using them. All the information on chords that I see in every video or lesson(just like the ones you posted) are them trying to teach people several different chords, chord shapes, whatever, even if it is just them teaching basic chords.

IT DOES NOT HELP ME. It's not helping me understand why I have to use it, when am I ever going to use this boring garbage shape? When am I ever going to just randomly pull out a C chord? The only chords I use are power chords, and that's because they sound good in the type of music I play and are simple as f***.

Because songs are made of chords, that's why you need them. Stick with power chords all you want, but it's just going to limit you (and you're gonna smack yourself if you ever get around to arpeggios!).
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #52
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

Open chords can sound great mixed with power chords.

Besides, if you really want to learn theory, you're going to have to accept that it involves more than just power chords, or you won't get it.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 07-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #53
Spaztikko

Quote:

K. Obviously you're happy, so it gives me more reason to not help you. Bolded the parts which made me lol/realised at this point in time you really don't want to learn anything about theory or basic song structure and chord construction.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #54
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

You want to know when to use them? When it sounds good.

No seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #55
Spaztikko

TS, do you like Steve Vai by any chance?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #56
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Because songs are made of chords, that's why you need them. Stick with power chords all you want, but it's just going to limit you (and you're gonna smack yourself if you ever get around to arpeggios!).

So all songs go from chord to chord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
TS, do you like Steve Vai by any chance?

I'm assuming TS is topic starter, other forums I go on say OP, original poster, anyways... yes I like Steve Vai, I know all these great musicians know and use chords, specially Vai's stuff, but chords seem like calm and upbeat things to use which works in Vai's case... but I just cant imagine them being used in Death Metal, if so I've probably heard them a bunch of times then without realizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
You want to know when to use them? When it sounds good.

No seriously.

But why do I have to? I could just play something else that isn't a chord that could sound better.

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-23-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #57
TheHydra

Quote:

Pretty much. Everything you play has an implied chord underneath it, and everything you play is just an extension of that chord. If you're in C major, and someone's strumming G major, and you hit an F note, you're implying a G dominant 7th chord. Then your buddy could play a C major chord, and you could play a quick F#, which would be a nice tritone with the root, I know you death metal guys love those, and then a G, then descend down the chord to the root for a nice resolution. See how this works?

With power chords there's even more room for implication, as power chords have no third note to define their tonality.

Last edited by TheHydra : 07-23-2012 at 01:28 AM.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #58
gypsyblues7373

Quote:

Pretty much, yep. Although most songs/riffs tend to mix chords with low-string single-note stuff, or in a lot of clean riffs, they're picked as arpeggios.

Quote:
I'm assuming TS is topic starter, other forums I go on say OP, original poster, anyways... yes I like Steve Vai, I know all these great musicians know and use chords, specially Vai's stuff, but chords seem like calm and upbeat things to use which works in Vai's case... but I just cant imagine them being used in Death Metal, if so I've probably heard them a bunch of times then without realizing it.

Chords aren't necessarily always "calm and upbeat"...they just usually are in Vai's case because that's just the way the guy writes music. Chords can be happy, sad, or pissed-off sounding, just depending on which ones you use, and how you arrange them. I don't know hardly any death metal to give an example, but I'm sure there's songs with open chords amidst the power-chord riffing, too. A good example would be something like if a song were quiet, maybe eerie, building up to a point in the song when everyone "kicks in", and then the guitarist hits a big open G5 or sustained chord with gobs of distortion to make the guitar sound huge at that point.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #59
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
Pretty much. Everything you play has an implied chord underneath it, and everything you play is just an extension of that chord. If you're in C major, and someone's strumming G major, and you hit an F note, you're implying a G dominant 7th chord. Then your buddy could play a C major chord, and you could play a quick F#, which would be a nice tritone with the root, I know you death metal guys love those, and then a G, then descend down the chord to the root for a nice resolution. See how this works?

With power chords there's even more room for implication, as power chords have no third note to define their tonality.

I didn't put chords in my songs, yet they somehow became songs, and no I don't see how this works as I have no clue to what you just said. Sorry for being an ass, chords frustrate the s*** out of me.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #60
Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Chords can be pissed-off sounding

Actually I agree, I'm really intrigued with the sound that the... D minor chord? I think it is, sound that it gives off... sort of like an evil black metal sound.

Rate This Thread: