Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #81
TheHydra

I don't think species counterpoint really fits in with the jazz/blues styles. To do jazz counterpoint, I'd need to have a lot of chromatic movements, and I don't think movements of a m2 are allowed in species counterpoint except at the end. Unless I've missed something.

Last edited by TheHydra : 07-27-2012 at 03:41 AM.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #82
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

Sure. But that doesn't mean it's not worth learning: some of the principles that you learn still hold true no matter how much chromaticism you add. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms are all composers that use a lot of chromaticism in their writing, but you can see that they'd drawn a lot from studying species counterpoint.

It's like essay writing at school: most of us will never have to write an essay or an article in our lives, but some of the skills are transferable to say, letter writing or whatever.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #83
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Species counterpoint is really the study of melody. Sure, the 'counterpoint' aspect is import, but the really important thing to take away from it, for most people, is the melodic aspects. It's conservative melody, but ultimately tonal melody is virtually the same from era to era and style to style. The fluff changes, but the attributes of a good quality melody (i.e. one that we find pleasing) is really the same.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #84
TheHydra

Oh no, I know that. It's just that I wanted to see if I could write bluesy species counterpoint and I've come to the conclusion that it's borderline impossible at this point. I still fully intend to follow through with species study.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #85
EmilGD
Unregistered User

So... 3rd species anyone?
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #86
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilGD
So... 3rd species anyone?

This Olympic games shizz is pretty boring, so yes.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #87
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

okay, then, third species. for those of you who don't know, 3rd species is 4 notes against one (so four quarter notes against a whole note).

rules:
  • all rules from first and second species apply.
  • the counterpoint may begin either on a quarter note or a quarter rest - in either case, the first note must be a perfect consonance.
  • the first quarter note in a measure is always consonant, the third is usually consonant, and the second and fourth may be dissonant. the third may be dissonant if the first, second, and fourth are consonant. if the first and fourth note in a measure are a P4 apart, the second and third may be dissonant, provided they are moving in stepwise motion, creating a "double passing tone".
  • the types of embellishment permitted are: passing tones, neighbor tones, the nota cambiata*, and embellishing tones (consonant skips).

*illustration of a nota cambiata - http://www.listeningarts.com/music/...cies/3rdex9.mov

questions, as always, are welcome.

here's my contribution: http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...4abea4dc93098f8

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)

Last edited by AeolianWolf : 02-04-2013 at 10:54 PM.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #88
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by National_Anthem
Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms are all composers that use a lot of chromaticism in their writing, but you can see that they'd drawn a lot from studying species counterpoint.

How do you know that?

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #89
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Bit late on this, plowed through all three species today because I didn't have anything else to do. I don't think I did too badly

First Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...eb15d9b96912818

Second Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...bfc464341cd3e2d

Third Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...b40cbde0b76b8d6
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #90
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
Bit late on this, plowed through all three species today because I didn't have anything else to do. I don't think I did too badly

First Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...eb15d9b96912818

Second Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...bfc464341cd3e2d

Third Species:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...b40cbde0b76b8d6

first species was good.

second species:
- measure 4, note 2 - you're leaping into a dissonance. no good. if you change it to an E instead, you'll be good.
- try to think more in contrary motion when possible.

third species didn't have anything wrong with it per se, but try to find some solutions that are more melodic and sound more pleasant. it kind of sounds like your line is just meandering -- especially in the least few measures, where you ascend stepwise, then descend stepwise, then ascend stepwise again to the tonic. remember that this is species counterpoint - treatment is more like melodies of the renaissance motets than a bach composition. by that i mean that sequences tend to be avoided rather than welcomed. don't think in terms of sequences (which, i'll admit, was the most difficult thing i had to learn to do when i studied counterpoint, because i'm such a sucker for bach's sequenced motives).

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #91
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Thanks for the comments AW. I've fixed the faulty note in m4 of the second species. I might try another having another swing at second and third species tomorrow, keeping what you've said in mind.

Last edited by Nietsche : 07-28-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: oh lordy that was some bad punctuation
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #92
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

For the third species, you leap from and to a dissonance several times. Measure 2 beat 3-4, measure three beat 2-3, measure 4 beat 3-4, and measure 5 beat 3-4. Also generally what AW said about the melody. It has a tendency to meander a bit, although it's hard not to meander in third species.

Third species is definitely the hardest, so it only gets better from here on out.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #93
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

There can't be a problem with measure three because all the motion in that measure is stepwise, I think you meant measure four beats 2-3, but I see what you mean, though in my partial defence all the offending 'dissonances' are actually fourths.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #94
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Yeah, sorry, 2, 4 and 5. You have two leaps in measure 4, but one is a cambiata so it's legit. 4ths are dissonances the same as seconds and sevenths.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #95
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

I hated doing this in college, but I always found 3rd species the easiest because it was the most musical
Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #96
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

It's the hardest because it's the least musical.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #97
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

I'm dripping wet for 4th species...

Chains of 7-6 suspensions coming in.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #98
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, sorry, 2, 4 and 5. You have two leaps in measure 4, but one is a cambiata so it's legit. 4ths are dissonances the same as seconds and sevenths.

Only according to your stupid Renaissance-era rules

Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #99
TheHydra

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...29895ea1f2a3e57

Here's my third species. I couldn't figure out how to make Measurement 8 sound good, but after about 5 minutes of fiddling with it alone I settled on the solution given. Opinions?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #100
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

I feel like a lot of your measures sound very self-contained because you have a lot of leaps between measures, so the melody doesn't flow very well. Also you have parallel octaves measures 8-9.

I made some edits/completely re-wrote it here: http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...e5b4c99351988d0

Rate This Thread: