User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
Well Megaupload sucked to begin with. They got what they deserved for sucking.

yea. i had to empty my cache like 5 times an hour just to watch prison break, man, it was horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
you've got the sickest abs i've ever seen and it's enough to turn me gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
you look pretty curved mate!

complement my abs or physique or general attractiveness for your chance to be quoted right here
laid-to-waste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Nope, because I think it's wrong to say that people can't make money off their music (which is pretty much what music piracy does) and the corporations aren't as evil as everyone claims they are. They were in the 80's with the 360 deal, but the bands get paid by the label no matter how the album sells by and are pretty well treated, yes there can be some admin issues, but there is with any kind of industry ever. All that music piracy does is mean that the label wont sink as much money into the band next time because they didn't sell well enough, or even worse they get dropped from the label and can't afford to pay for studio time on their own.

Music piracy is done in the name of the artist, but it's the artist who gets screwed over.

On the other hand, yes, I do, because everyone seems to want to justify getting something for free and technically I can't tell people how to think... but at the same time I do question whether some pirates actually do think at all. I've met very smart pirates who justify their piracy via philosophy, which while I don't like it, I can't really say their life view is "wrong" per say.

And to reiterate... I'm not for web censorship. I'm not anti-pirate bay and I was anti-SOPA/ACTA. I'm anti-music piracy, in my mind it's very hard to justify

*per se
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
*per se

That's the one.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

To give an arguement against the whole 'music is art and should therefore be free' bullcrap...

The Night Watch by Rembrandt is one of the most world famous, if not THE most world famous painting we have here in Amsterdam. It's enormous, being 363 cm × 437 cm and still being very detailed, it's really a sight to be held from both close up, and from a distance.

It's commision cost the guild 1600 guilders (back in 1639, a ****ton of money) and took four years to complete.

Another, or actually a collection of examples: pretty much every single famous renaissance painter was paid a good amount of money for their work.

One might argue that this was all in the past, and that there's no need anymore for paid art. Well, there's an easy answer: maintenance. Any damage must be carefully repaired or prevented by the use of high-tech facilitation, like moisture regulators to prevent degredation and very skilled craftsmanship whenever something needs to be repaired back to its original state (a very time-consuming (and therefore costly) process). The Night Watch still needs its maintenance every now and then, even though it was finished 370 years ago !

There you have it: why art cannot be free, and why music cannot be seen the same way as paintings, sculptures, etc.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid-to-waste
yea. i had to empty my cache like 5 times an hour just to watch prison break, man, it was horrible

They used to have a video watch limit, where you were only allowed to watch like 3-4 videos or something. Then they had an ingenious idea to give you a 45 min time limit.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Add me on Facebook

Soundcloud
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Nope, because I think it's wrong to say that people can't make money off their music (which is pretty much what music piracy does) and the corporations aren't as evil as everyone claims they are. They were in the 80's with the 360 deal, but the bands get paid by the label no matter how the album sells by and are pretty well treated, yes there can be some admin issues, but there is with any kind of industry ever. All that music piracy does is mean that the label wont sink as much money into the band next time because they didn't sell well enough, or even worse they get dropped from the label and can't afford to pay for studio time on their own.

Music piracy is done in the name of the artist, but it's the artist who gets screwed over.

On the other hand, yes, I do, because everyone seems to want to justify getting something for free and technically I can't tell people how to think... but at the same time I do question whether some pirates actually do think at all. I've met very smart pirates who justify their piracy via philosophy, which while I don't like it, I can't really say their life view is "wrong" per say.

And to reiterate... I'm not for web censorship. I'm not anti-pirate bay and I was anti-SOPA/ACTA. I'm anti-music piracy, in my mind it's very hard to justify

I pirate because it isn't feasible to buy music you're unsure of every time a song seems interesting. If given the chance I'll see a show, buy a shirt, and buy the next album. With how music is priced, I can't buy every album I'd like. If I had no intention of buying it for lack of funds, pirating it doesn't affect them negatively. If I like them then I'll support them another way eventually.

I can see why you hold that stance though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I pirate because it isn't feasible to buy music you're unsure of every time a song seems interesting.

I hear this one a lot, but you have so many ways of streaming music legally these days it's kinda lost is power in the music piracy argument.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #28
CrimsonBizzare
spelt bizarre incorrectly

Quote:
They hide under a veil of "hurhur it's our human right to do this" despite the fact that they are breaking the law in every nation.

No, they aren't. This is why they're still "alive".
The fact that they're based in Sweden has a lot to do with it. The companies can't get their site taken down just because what they do might be illegal in the US. It would be the same as Zimbabwe suddenly outlawing the existence of websites and then trying to take Google down.

The laws regarding the issue are outdated, and so are the morons in the courts attempting to shut TBP down, having the computer proficiency of middle-aged housewives.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
devourke
Banned

Piracy is wrong.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Eastwinn
Banned

Quote:

Well that's totally respectable.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

It's entertaining to hear the Pit-goers try and rationalize downloading music that they didn't pay for.

Oh wait, I mean it's idiotic.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

I am 100% with ChemicalFire on this. Music is part of humanity? lol
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
They used to have a video watch limit, where you were only allowed to watch like 3-4 videos or something. Then they had an ingenious idea to give you a 45 min time limit.

more like 45 min gay time limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
you've got the sickest abs i've ever seen and it's enough to turn me gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
you look pretty curved mate!

complement my abs or physique or general attractiveness for your chance to be quoted right here
laid-to-waste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

is it Piratebay that has a Pirate Party MP (or equivalent) in the Swedish Parliament (or equivalent) and were looking to use the parliamentary privilege thing (or equivalent) to host a server that can't be touched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
garden of grey
RIP David Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
- Their servers are not based in the US
- Entertainment industry has weak lobbying power outside the US.
- The nature of P2P makes it hard to bring a case against them in euro courts

Strong this, anyone can get some pull with a strong lobby, but the entertainment industry is not AIPAC.

Quote:
I hear this one a lot, but you have so many ways of streaming music legally these days it's kinda lost is power in the music piracy argument.

If you support streams then I must say that just about everything I download comes out of stream captures, if you want to stop that you will have to take my computer away.

Last edited by garden of grey : 07-23-2012 at 07:55 PM.
garden of grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
palm mute
Reserved User

Strawmans out of the ass in this thread. Jesus

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #37
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Yippie, you can't catch me but I can you.

can't catch a swede bro.

Last edited by JohnnyGenzale : 07-23-2012 at 08:04 PM.
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:

I don't see why stuff like streaming is fine but pirating is not. People upload whole albums to Youtube, etc. The difference is that you can take it with you versus being tethered to the internet. I guess and artist would choose to stream it but I just don't see the big difference. Both are listening to music you didn't pay for, but did not take away revenue. One is on your computer and one is online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #39
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I don't see why stuff like streaming is fine but pirating is not. People upload whole albums to Youtube, etc. The difference is that you can take it with you versus being tethered to the internet. I guess and artist would choose to stream it but I just don't see the big difference. Both are listening to music you didn't pay for, but did not take away revenue. One is on your computer and one is online.

You see, that's why I'm fine with it, that and the quality is often a bit crap. So if you if you've decided you like the music you buy the album after that point. I always use the analogy of a "trial version" or a "demo" it's technically all there and all the features are on display, but if you want the real deal then you buy it.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #40
Burgery
scatterbrain

Location: an outward projected image of a pokémon centre for the soul
sweden
Burgery is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: