User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #41
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I don't see why stuff like streaming is fine but pirating is not. People upload whole albums to Youtube, etc. The difference is that you can take it with you versus being tethered to the internet. I guess and artist would choose to stream it but I just don't see the big difference. Both are listening to music you didn't pay for, but did not take away revenue. One is on your computer and one is online.

I agree with you 100%. I am guilty of doing this every day.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
Burgery
scatterbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You see, that's why I'm fine with it, that and the quality is often a bit crap. So if you if you've decided you like the music you buy the album after that point. I always use the analogy of a "trial version" or a "demo" it's technically all there and all the features are on display, but if you want the real deal then you buy it.

You don't get the "real deal" with piracy. You get audio files, of which the quality is often a bit crap.
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #43
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
You see, that's why I'm fine with it, that and the quality is often a bit crap. So if you if you've decided you like the music you buy the album after that point. I always use the analogy of a "trial version" or a "demo" it's technically all there and all the features are on display, but if you want the real deal then you buy it.

I see your point but that's not a very strong argument. You can find high quality streams, and Youtube is getting better quality all the time. I could run Youtube on my phone all the time and take music with me. Or pirate it. Or buy it. It's still going with me and in two of the situations I didn't prevent an monetary gain. I buy a lot of albums when I can, but there's really no difference when you support online streaming. Back when I was big in to physical copies, I couldn't find a Death album I wanted. I've bought every other album and a couple shirts, so I pirated it. I couldn't find a physical copy and I've already supported the band a ton. I've been unable to find a good torrent of an album so I buy it, the reverse.

I think pirating is blown way out of proportion considering the similarities to how most people listen to music. Youtube, Pandora, Last.fm, it's all a product that you're enjoying but not paying for.

I've bought an album I had pirated songs off of, and the quality was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls

Last edited by BladeSlinger : 07-23-2012 at 11:17 PM.
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #44
palm mute
Reserved User

I like CDs because it is just cool (to me) to have a decent collection. I'd like vinyl too but I don't have the room or the neckbeard for it.
Quote:
I think pirating is blown way out of proportion considering the similarities to how most people listen to music. Youtube, Pandora, Last.fm, it's all a product that you're enjoying but not paying for.

Ads pay for you to listen.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #45
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
I like CDs because it is just cool (to me) to have a decent collection. I'd like vinyl too but I don't have the room or the neckbeard for it.

Ads pay for you to listen.

And someone is paying for the internet to seed that album someone just torrented. Everyone who seeds is paying something.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #46
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:

I've always thought this. Using a phone with 3G you could listen to every song you wanted on YouTube with equal or greater ease than torrenting it, and yet very little is done against people who upload songs to YouTube. Things like bands having YouTube channels and the like make things even more peculiar. Of course, they get advertising payment from sponsored YouTube channels, but it's still far less than they would get from CD sales. The issue seems to be one of control, rather than one of profit.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #47
palm mute
Reserved User

Quote:
And someone is paying for the internet to seed that album someone just torrented. Everyone who seeds is paying something.

They don't pay the people who want your money for listening to the music though. That's where the moral line is draw apparently.

I'm pro-sharing by the way.

every night
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #48
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo

I buy all my favorite albums on vinyl to support the artists I like, I also torrent the music though because I have an iPod and like to use that to plug it into my car or use it on trips. I feel like it'd be stupid for me to have to pay for my music twice just so I'm not tethered to sitting in my dorm with my record player whenever I feel like listening to it.

#Illamanati
caeser1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #49
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
They don't pay the people who want your money for listening to the music though. That's where the moral line is draw apparently.

I'm pro-sharing by the way.

The Youtube ads don't pay them either. I understand people who oppose music piracy, but I see it as something that should be acceptable in moderation. If someone drinks occasionally to unwind, no one cares. If someone binge drinks, it becomes a problem. If someone pirates an album on occasion because they're short on cash, I don't see a big deal. If someone only pirates and refuses to support artists, that's a problem.

I'm an avid pirate and have been for years. But I have an envelope filled with concert tickets. I got half the shirts I wear directly from shows. I have a good sized collection of CDs from just a few years of buying physical copies, and a growing collection of digital album. Not to mention, I'm a musician. I want to support people who make music.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #50
behind_you
you think this is a game

Quote:
You see, that's why I'm fine with it
You can download youtube videos and convert them to .mp3 format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
ins i will suck ur ugly ostrich head if you dont shut up
PeTA

hello

behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #51
mental_zer0
ME OTO EM

Location: GO ON, GIVE US A SNARE RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH
does.everyone realize that streaming something effectively downloads the file temporarily to your computer? its stored in a temporary cache on the machine, making it just about identical to downloading a 128kbps mp3 if you listened to it on grooveshark.or.something?

just sayin.

sorry about the punctuation, my phone is gimpy.sometimes and i dont feel like fixing it.
mental_zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #52
palm mute
Reserved User

^ Yeah, it's pretty funny actually.
Quote:
The Youtube ads don't pay them either. I understand people who oppose music piracy, but I see it as something that should be acceptable in moderation. If someone drinks occasionally to unwind, no one cares. If someone binge drinks, it becomes a problem. If someone pirates an album on occasion because they're short on cash, I don't see a big deal. If someone only pirates and refuses to support artists, that's a problem.

I'm an avid pirate and have been for years. But I have an envelope filled with concert tickets. I got half the shirts I wear directly from shows. I have a good sized collection of CDs from just a few years of buying physical copies, and a growing collection of digital album. Not to mention, I'm a musician. I want to support people who make music.

I was talking more about Last.fm and Pandora as I believe they pay royalties.

You don't really need to justify it with that. You only take away potential profit so the whole piracy is theft thing makes no sense. We need better terms for this that describe what is actually happening.

every night
Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #53
mental_zer0
ME OTO EM

Location: GO ON, GIVE US A SNARE RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH
piracy isnt theft, its copyright infringement. no physical.product is removed. a duplicate is made.of.a digital file that has been copyrighted. what needs to be discussed is new copyright law..

disclaimer: i have filled several hard drives with pirated things. just so we know where im comin from.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #54
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_zer0
piracy isnt theft, its copyright infringement. no physical.product is removed. a duplicate is made.of.a digital file that has been copyrighted. what needs to be discussed is new copyright law..

disclaimer: i have filled several hard drives with pirated things. just so we know where im comin from.

It is indeed infringement. But so is burning CDs and mixtapes. Go after every heartbroken teen ever.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #55
mental_zer0
ME OTO EM

Quote:
It is indeed infringement. But so is burning CDs and mixtapes. Go after every heartbroken teen ever.

every time my mom bitches at me for downloading music, i remind her that she taped the first 12 seasons of the simpsons for personal viewing before the dvds came out. still has em, too.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #56
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
I buy all my favorite albums on vinyl to support the artists I like, I also torrent the music though because I have an iPod and like to use that to plug it into my car or use it on trips. I feel like it'd be stupid for me to have to pay for my music twice just so I'm not tethered to sitting in my dorm with my record player whenever I feel like listening to it.

Some vinyl albums are cool where they give you a code to download legal MP3's of the songs.

Though I'm a fag and I love certain albums to buy multiple copies of it. I have a couple of albums in vinyl, CD, and cassette.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #57
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
Some vinyl albums are cool where they give you a code to download legal MP3's of the songs.

Though I'm a fag and I love certain albums to buy multiple copies of it. I have a couple of albums in vinyl, CD, and cassette.

I have one like that. "Dark Side of the Moon"
Vinyl
Cassette
CD
8 Track

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #58
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG

A lot of my collection are from the 60s and 70s because I'm one of those people that goes out to the ghetto ass record stores downtown and looks until something pops up one day. Like I got Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Peppers for $2 each a while back.

#Illamanati
caeser1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #59
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_cobain9
I have one like that. "Dark Side of the Moon"
Vinyl
Cassette
CD
8 Track

I'm jelly, I wish I listened to music that was released on 8 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
A lot of my collection are from the 60s and 70s because I'm one of those people that goes out to the ghetto ass record stores downtown and looks until something pops up one day. Like I got Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Peppers for $2 each a while back.

There's a place in town I go to, they sell new vinyl, so that's what I buy. If I was a Metallica fan I would probably spend the $140 to get the audiophile vinyl editions of their albums where it's like 180 gram or something and one song takes up one side of the record.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #60
CaptDin
Rebel Without A Pause

Quote:
I don't see why stuff like streaming is fine but pirating is not. People upload whole albums to Youtube, etc. The difference is that you can take it with you versus being tethered to the internet. I guess and artist would choose to stream it but I just don't see the big difference. Both are listening to music you didn't pay for, but did not take away revenue. One is on your computer and one is online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Exactly! It's complete bullshit that companies like RCAA are allowed (in the court system) to charge and then basically fine (aka, win court cases) those who copy music. Music should be something that belongs to everyone. I can understand people selling CDs or tickets for live performances. However, music should still be largely something that is the "property of humanity" and therefore you should NEVER be penalized for downloading it.

Or at the least, there's no damn way anyone should be charged millions or billions of dollars because the RCAA sued them and won.

This sums up my point of view on the matter perfectly.
CaptDin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: