Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #61
MetalMullet

Why streaming is allowed is because it's advertisement based I guess. Just check out Youtube and you'll see shitloads of commercials. Even if you upload a pirated song Youtube is the one who's going to profit from it and they are one of the biggest actors in entertainment industry. When the big players earn the cash, then all the methods are acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same people behind Youtube who actually trying to criminalize file sharing. But in one of those cases they don't make money, guess which one.
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #62
HowSoonisNow
Banned

I used TPB from ages 15 to 17. It's no news flash that it's harming some people but on the other hand, it's free promotion for lesser known bands. Our opinions on the subject aren't going to change the fact millions of people around the world use it and will continue to use it, no matter what fancy law is passed. Where there's a will, there's a way.
HowSoonisNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #63
Arunas

Up, So since its down yet again, when do you think it will get back up ?
Arunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #64
CrimsonBizzare
spelt bizarre incorrectly

Should be up within a day. Apparently the downtime has nothing to do with the police seizing.
CrimsonBizzare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #65
Arunas

Arunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #66
thes50

I'd be interested to know the statistics of how many people find out about a band/group/musician through piracy.

I reckon that a lot of people find out about groups through piracy, those people now know about that artist making them more likely to purchase singles/albums/merch etc.
thes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #67
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

Oh god, not this discussion again...

The Pirate Bay still exists because like it or not, it's the face of torrenting, and torrents are the face of music piracy in the world's (read: entertainment industries) view.

I'm not gonna mingle in the discussion about whether piracy is right or wrong, too fed up with the constant rehashing of the same arguements over and over again. I will say this though: nobody thinks alike, and it's when we expect eachother to have the same opinion that I fear for the future of humanity.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #68
Arfey McFeeshy

They constantly switch owners and locations of the websites and it's servers, and it's quite easy to hide. They're were considering just using hash links, which would make the whole website a couple mb and able to store on a flash drive.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #69
entity0009
UG's Null.

It's alive because it's an RIAA honeytrap. Your IPs are being logged, and soon all torrenters will be disposed of in one fell swoop.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #70
WaterGod
SEC *****es!!!!!

I couldn't find a free version of Photoshop, so I don't give a fuck about them anymore.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #71
toBetheVeryBest
like no one ever was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Exactly! It's complete bullshit that companies like RCAA are allowed (in the court system) to charge and then basically fine (aka, win court cases) those who copy music. Music should be something that belongs to everyone. I can understand people selling CDs or tickets for live performances. However, music should still be largely something that is the "property of humanity" and therefore you should NEVER be penalized for downloading it.

Or at the least, there's no damn way anyone should be charged millions or billions of dollars because the RCAA sued them and won.

I don't know if I agree that it shouldn't be at least...a little tiny bit frowned upon to pirate things. I mean it is stealing. As far as music goes I use Spotify as much as I can so at least the artist gets something.

The only time I do pirate if it is some pop song...because you know...screw them
toBetheVeryBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #72
Burgery
i cant remember

the pirate bay has been down for a couple of days now actually
Burgery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #73
CaptDin
Rebel Without A Pause

While I agree it's definitely important to support the artist, one thing that I really don't see a problem with at all is albums that have been out for years and have sold millions of copies. Of course it's important to support an artist, but if people are downloading something like, say, Michael Jackson's Thriller or Back in Black by AC/DC, or Bon Jovi or Metallica or anything like that, who are you really hurting at that point? I mean, that kind of stuff may as well be public domain, it's so heavily circulated through media and whatnot.
CaptDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #74
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
They're doing God's work is how.

This, they are on a mission from god!
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #75
devourke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
It's alive because it's an RIAA honeytrap. Your IPs are being logged, and soon all torrenters will be disposed of in one fell swoop.

How would RIAA be logging the IPs of tpb visitors?
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #76
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Can't stop the signal, Mal.

Honestly, TPB is so big and so widely used that if it were to be taken down by a government force, it would only be seen as martyrdom. The UK trying to force ISPs to ban TPB only made the site more popular.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #77
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Because TPB isn't run by fucktards, that's how it's still alive. I, for one, think fining people for downloading music over the internet is stupid. Music should be public domain 2-5 years after the artist releases it anyway.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #78
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Because TPB isn't run by fucktards, that's how it's still alive. I, for one, think fining people for downloading music over the internet is stupid. Music should be public domain 2-5 years after the artist releases it anyway.

Why? It's their work. They should be able to make as much money off of it as they want.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #79
entity0009
UG's Null.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
How would RIAA be logging the IPs of tpb visitors?

Demon copyright magic. SOPA= Spells Of Pirate Annihilation
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #80
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
Why? It's their work. They should be able to make as much money off of it as they want.

Of course it is. But the idea of music, to me, has always been that you're presenting it to the world. So, charging for it for 50+ years is ridiculous, to me. If they want to charge for it for 2-5 years, then I could find that reasonable.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: