Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

New amp- Bugera 333xl Infinium vs Mesa Dual Rec. (or other?)

I haven't posted here in awhile, and haven't been on the market really for any gear; however, I have had my Bugera 333 for about 2-3 years now and I'm ready for an upgrade / new amp.

I'm really interested in the Bugera 333xl infinium, primarily because of its versatility, technology, and exceptional tones at a low price. Alternatively, I was considering a Dual Rectifier, which is widely used, and renowned for great tones, however at slightly more than double the cost. (I'm open to other suggestions as well, assuming they are around the price range of these two).

I know the Dual rec is considered a far superior amp, but having listened to many comparisons in video, and in person (although I haven't heard them played next to each other, and I haven't heard the new Bugera 333xl infinium in person), I just feel like it isn't justifiable to shell out all that extra cash for the name. Thoughts?

Here is a description of my style: I am a medium skill level player. I cover all sorts of music, from popular 90s alternative rock to modern metal. I play blues, some soft rock, alternative rock, grunge, hard rock, and metal (BFMV, Killswitch, FFDP).
I'd really like to have an amp that has an excellent hi-gain tone, but sparkling cleans, and a nice overdriven blues tone available. If possible, an amp that can manage Pearl Jam style cleans (think Yellow Ledbetter) would be ideal.

Any suggestions or comments would be amazing. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

There are so many good amps in that range and for that style. My only advice is to try out as much as you possibly can.

The recto and the 333 are very different amps. A lot of the price of the recto is from it being handmade in california and much higher quality components, especially stuff like transformers, etc.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

If you go for the Bugera make sure you invest in one of these with the money you saved not going for the dual rec
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
losing battle
UG's Underpants Gnome

How about a used mesa instead? Like a mark, f series or dual calliber amp if you don't want to spend the two grand on the dual recto. The 333xl isn't really an upgrade. Unlike the bugera you wont be getting sodomized on the resale value.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
HavokStrife

Ebay Mesa?

I never figured out how you get a new Mesa in the first place, nobody sells them.

And I'd seriously look into a Mark and not a Recto if it's versatility you're after.
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
HavokStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Thanks for the suggestions gents. And lmao at the fire extinguisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
ticktockboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavokStrife
Ebay Mesa?

I never figured out how you get a new Mesa in the first place, nobody sells them.

And I'd seriously look into a Mark and not a Recto if it's versatility you're after.

I mean have you walked into a guitar center lately? Like 75% of their higher end amps are Mesas
ticktockboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
thetoastinator
UG Addict

If you arent stuck on one particular brand check out the Egnater Vengeance. I was about to go with the 333xl inf and I ended up playing the Egnater, blew me away. Amazing clean/crunch channel that does anything I want it to do, and the lead channel does a great thrashy/metal tone; much better than most Mesa's Ive played, which also require tons of tweaking to sound good in my opinion. Check em out, they are in every Guitar Center now that I've seen. If you have about $800 more you could get the Egnater Armageddon, which is like the Vengeance with another gain stage and a built in ISP Decimator which is awesome.
Custom Strat Copy
Bugera 6260 Head
Peavey XXX Head
Krank Revolution Cab
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss NS-2

Like old school heavy metal? Check out Xstrophy!
thetoastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Why not go middle of the road and get something like the JSX?

The JSX is the amp the 333XL is cloning, btw. The difference is that it's not a cheaply built piece of crap.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I agree with these guys. Why get an inferior amp if you have the budget for better?

Mesa whips Bugera man. The JSX and the Vengeance are solid recs too.

There have been too many issues with the Bugera (including the Infinium) for me to trust them:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...=1544990&page=2

If you want real amp help then do this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 07-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Get real noob...

Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I agree with these guys. Why get an inferior amp if you have the budget for better?

Mesa whips Bugera man. The JSX and the Vengeance are solid recs too.

There have been too many issues with the Bugera (including the Infinium) for me to trust them:

If you want real amp help then do this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Add this to your list, i have a 6262 and a 333 and still going strong no issues after almost 3 years and i play them every day.
ChuggyMcBr00tlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

That doesn't mean that all those other problems didn't exist. I had a 6260. Loved it. Built crappily though. If more bugera owners would at least except that bugera has bad qc, then I think we could avoid a lot of flame wars. TS, I second the JSX. It seems kinda obvious when you think about it

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
ronhoward
*enter cliche*

Personally I liked the 333 over the 333xl. The big difference is the tubes. It's got some good tone (its a XXX/JSX clone) but Bugera does have the reliability issues. I've owned mine for about 5 months and had no issues thankfully.
Alvarez Electric/Acoustic
Randall RT100
Line 6 DT50 412 Cab
4 String Ibanez SR500L
4 String Peavey Millenium BXP Bass
ronhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Add this to your list, i have a 6262 and a 333 and still going strong no issues after almost 3 years and i play them every day.

That's great. Both of those amps have really good tone - as do most of the other Bugera's. Unfortunately, I simply cannot recommend them that often. The 'Infinium' series in particular is a bit of joke imo. Those are failing, it seems, at an alarming rate imo

I do however recommend the V22 a fair amount. I can see why you're frustrated though. A lot of people bag on Bugera strictly based on what they heard on the internet. Now, I don't work on amps so I do not have direct experience. I do however have a list of issues related to their reliability. I mainly created this list because I got tired of people saying that all of Bugera's quality issues were behind them

The second link I posted is actually the more important one. Who knows....maybe a Bugera is perfect for the TS
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Robbgnarly

I have a Bugera 333. It sounds great, but is built very cheap. I recently bought a Krank 1980 and it is built to such a higher quality it is almost not funny.

If I was choosing between a Bugera and any other amp company(especially a US made amp, the Bugera would be history. I know they sound good for the price, but there are too many issues to worrie about. Even the new Infinium have been showing up DOA to people, so to me it's a crap shoot
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
notryt

Every amp has problems... maybe bugeras problems are being exaggerated by people who do not actually own one.. I see the same crap said about schecter and agile guitars... I bought a 3 yr old 333xl. had the plug removed and hard wired... (the real know problem) still has the stock tubes and I havent had a single problem with it and i use it every day.. I have owned a few peaveys in my day ,just sold my xxx and I know from other xxx owners that those too have had there share of problems.. The nature and design of valve amps just screams to have problems.... as far as being cheaply made... yep the darn Chinese just refuse to import American parts to build there stuff with... If they did that then they would cost close to as much as a US made amp.. or (British) Next time you go to walmart take that fire extinguisher with you .. those briefs in your cart may just burst into flames... bottom line there isnt any product that has an absolute 0 failure rate. .. I am not saying the bugeras are the best amps on the market.. but they are the best cheap amps on the market.

Last edited by notryt : 08-12-2012 at 05:15 AM.
notryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by notryt
Every amp has problems... maybe bugeras problems are being exaggerated by people who do not actually own one.. I see the same crap said about schecter and agile guitars... I bought a 3 yr old 333xl. had the plug removed and hard wired... (the real know problem) still has the stock tubes and I havent had a single problem with it and i use it every day.. I have owned a few peaveys in my day ,just sold my xxx and I know from other xxx owners that those too have had there share of problems.. The nature and design of valve amps just screams to have problems.... as far as being cheaply made... yep the darn Chinese just refuse to import American parts to build there stuff with... If they did that then they would cost close to as much as a US made amp.. or (British) Next time you go to walmart take that fire extinguisher with you .. those briefs in your cart may just burst into flames... bottom line there isnt any product that has an absolute 0 failure rate. .. I am not saying the bugeras are the best amps on the market.. but they are the best cheap amps on the market.

Jet City Amplification would like a word with you

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Robbgnarly

Quote:

I agree that any amp will have problems, especially when they are first being produced. But Bugeras have been having quite alot of problems years after they have been introduced.
The only reasons I can see are the parts are not good and the QC level is not up to par. The amps are made so inexpensive that they can afford to have what I would consider above average fail rate (this is my opinion from information I have gathered off reviews, gear sites).

I think your butt-hurt because of the facts/opinions people have given you. At the end of the day you need to be happy with what you have got not us.

I will give you they are one of the best sounding cheap amps out today, but thats it I can find better build quality on just about anything else. And to me the value is both together, not sacrificing one for the other.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I feel your pain about the flaming underwear, man.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:

Thanks for bumping this thread

-----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
compiled

----------------------------------------------------

July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil esteban
i sent my bugera off to be fixed under warranty. i had to pay the shipping to do so. i feel raped about that. when i get it back im gonna trade it in i think. bugera's customer service sucks by the way. die bugera, die. don't buy bugera. you get what you pay for...lesson learned. i had it for 6 months. mine did the same thing as tmjns796's did. i guess at least they're consistently shitty. has anyone had any other amp brands fixed under warranty and if so did you have to pay the shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil esteban
i talked to the amp tech. where i bought my 333xl infinium. when it gets back from service, he's gonna make sure all the soldered connections in the power section...etc. are good. he went through his and basically did what bugera should've done to begin with and he's been playin' the hell outta his for goin on four years now. he said they pan solder the boards at bugera, which doesn't always produce a good connection and leads to problems like i had. i had to go the cheap route buying a bugera..cuz i didn't have a bunch of $ and needed a large amp quick to get into my band. buying a halfstack was the last thing on my mind until these guys called me to play and i needed one. so if anyone does buy a bugera, immediately take it to someone who knows what they're doing and have all the soldered connections on the board checked to be sure they're good. had to play friday's gig through a line 6...nowhere near the sound of that bugera. if i was a little richer i definitely would've bought a mesa triple rec. to begin with. if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running. i wouldn't buy one again though. I'm kinda stuck with it cuz nobody's gonna give me any trade in $ on the pinto of amplifiers. DON'T BUY ONE!!!

August 2012

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1555679

Rate This Thread: