Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
dibakar93

Chord Shapes

I know much about music theory & chords... But, i've seen many guitarists holding weird looking chords especially Eric Johnson... Can anyone please suggest me some books or DVD which teaches this kind of chord voicings??
N.B.- Please don't suggest some Chordbook full of irrrelevant 8000 chords... I want something which gives the idea behind those voicings..
dibakar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
TMVATDI

Well how are we supposed to know what you think is irrelevant? A big chord book sounds like exactly what you need. Unless you don't know harmony theory? If you don't know harmony theory go to the youtube link in my sig and click on the playlist on tonal harmony.
TMVATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
juckfush
UG's Fancy Antsy-Lope!

Which concepts/aspects of music theory do feel that you currently understand? Whether it be understanding the relationships of notes and intervals; constructing major and minor scales and their respective triads; the function of chords and degrees in a given key; the CAGED system; how to construct an inversion or extension; the more we know about what you currently know, the more helpful and direct our responses can be.

EDIT: Also, if you could provide a video or mp3 link to a piece that you feel showcases the ideas that you're looking to replicate, we can analyse the voicings used to offer a more direct and specific response.

Last edited by juckfush : 07-29-2012 at 05:28 AM.
juckfush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
dibakar93

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
Which concepts/aspects of music theory do feel that you currently understand? Whether it be understanding the relationships of notes and intervals; constructing major and minor scales and their respective triads; the function of chords and degrees in a given key; the CAGED system; how to construct an inversion or extension; the more we know about what you currently know, the more helpful and direct our responses can be.

EDIT: Also, if you could provide a video or mp3 link to a piece that you feel showcases the ideas that you're looking to replicate, we can analyse the voicings used to offer a more direct and specific response.

Thanx 4 replying... I know all the things mentioned by you except "how to construct an inversion or extension".. I have idea about inversions/extensions.. But, I want to know more...

Also, I have a pretty good idea about scale modes...

And here are 2 videos--

In The last one by Guthrie Govan shows some chords in the beginning..
I am talking about this kind of stuff..

Last edited by dibakar93 : 07-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

>Like EJ Chord voicings
>Learn EJ songs
>Analyse what he's doing

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
piszczel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibakar93
Thanx 4 replying... I know all the things mentioned by you except "how to construct an inversion or extension".. I have idea about inversions/extensions.. But, I want to know more...

Also, I have a pretty good idea about scale modes...

And here are 2 videos--

In The last one by Guthrie Govan shows some chords in the beginning..
I am talking about this kind of stuff..

There you go:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/e...nhattan_tab.htm
All tabbed out, you can learn from there.

In the second video you can CLEARLY see what the chords he's playing are. Figure them out and analyse them - what notes they are, and therefore what's the chord name? If you say you can't do it, you're just being lazy - it's really easy to figure it out from the video. Go try it yourself and don't expect people to give you anything on a plate.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
dibakar93

Quote:
Originally Posted by piszczel
There you go:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/e...nhattan_tab.htm
All tabbed out, you can learn from there.

In the second video you can CLEARLY see what the chords he's playing are. Figure them out and analyse them - what notes they are, and therefore what's the chord name? If you say you can't do it, you're just being lazy - it's really easy to figure it out from the video. Go try it yourself and don't expect people to give you anything on a plate.

I figured out those... But, thats just 5-6 chords.. I want to know more about the subject like other shapes, etc... So, that, I can, apply it into my playing...

Last edited by dibakar93 : 07-29-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

How's your knowledge on voicings of triads and 7th chords? I wouldn't go any further than 7ths chords until you've mastered how to invert triads and 7ths first.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

It seems you don't know as much as you claim you do.

I think it would be beneficial to, as stated above, to learn how to construct a seventh chord. Then all it readily comes down to, is rearranging the notes. Just because the formula says 1 3 5 7, didn't mean they need to stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
I figured out those... But, thats just 5-6 chords.. I want to know more about the subject like other shapes, etc... So, that, I can, apply it into my playing...

If you figured out those as you say, then doesnt it follow that you know the voicings that gave it form? Then you can apply all of these lessons to chords of your own. Why does everything have to be spoonfed for you? Think for yourself. Look at the voicings, what makes it different?

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
petruccii

General music theory would be enough!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
evolucian

screw music theory... get yourself an Alan Holdsworth book or an Al di Meola book. Or better yet, why not just get the Eric Johnson video "Total electric guitar" where he actually shows you his method of constructing said chords. That might just be simpler.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
another_dave

Quote:
Can anyone please suggest me some books or DVD which teaches this kind of chord voicings?

I think 'Guitar Fretboard workbook' by Barrett Tagliarino would be one.
another_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
HotspurJr

Quote:
I want something which gives the idea behind those voicings..

The "idea?" behind different voicings?

The idea of a voicing is two things:

Firstly, and by far most importantly, the way it sounds. As your ear develops you will gradually begin to really hear the differences. Until then, just keeping working at it.

Secondly, and by far less important, is how easy it is to play coming from, or going to, other chords. Sometimes you use a given voicing because it flows better for your fingers/skill level, but that's largely a personal choice.

The big one is sound. You either hear the difference or you don't.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: