Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Meshuggah

This. Holy shit, absolutely FLAWLESS live. I usually hear even the best of bands flub up now and then (even my personal favorite Devin Townsend fucked up here and there at the concert), but I heard not a single mistake when I saw them. So good, and the sound was incredible, even for the tiny club I saw them in.

As much as I hate to say it, Metallica sound pretty damn great live, as well. I don't like their music, and I'm not a fan at all, but man, their live sound is great, and they play extremely well. You can definitely hear their decades of experience live.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
Geldin

I gotta agree with everything you just said. Meshuggah scare me and Metallica has a really good bunch of sound guys/

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
CoreysMonster
Banned

It's not just the sound guys, though: You can have the best sound guys in the world and still sound like shit if you don't play well as a band, and IMO, from having seen them only once in my life, that's where Metallica seems to really shine. They are tight as balls, all the way through. I saw them at Rock am Ring in 2006, and saw a bunch of other acts like Guns n Roses (aka Axel and Friends), Korn, Deftones, Stone Sour, Alice in Chains, Tool, The Kaiser Chefs, and a bunch of others, and the best live bands, based purely on their sound, were easily Alice in Chains (keep in mind they had a new singer touring with them for the first time) and Metallica. I love Tool to bits, and their live show was a helluvan experience, but Maynard just doesn't do as well on stage as he does on the albums, and that takes away from the experience.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #44
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

The Ocean

I actually do not listen to them at all, I'm not a post metal fan and I don't even have a single song by them on their drive, but their set was ****ing awesome

front row, their vocalists constantly diving in, pulled my shirt and screamed in my face in the first song hahaha, so much energy. Sounded absolutely sick!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #45
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Metallica's sound very much depends on whether they can be arsed - go see them around an album launch or at some big event like the Big 4 and they'll knock your socks off, otherwise they'll be sloppy and lethargic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #46
fumb duck

Seeing anything metal live just doesn't really appeal to me when I could hear better audio quality on my headphones without being surrounded by sweaty neck-bearded morons shouting over the music. Most people would go to see a band live more for socializing rather than the actual music itself.

But... I would like to see Sunn O))) live if we're counting that as metal, I've heared that they're on a whole different level compared with other live performances.

fumb duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #47
Gulumok
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
Who else played?

Eluveitie, Korpiklaani, Equilibrium, Negura Bunget, Heidevolk, Solstafir
Gulumok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulumok

I just missed them when they rolled through two months ago. I really wish I would have gone.

Rotting Christ was one band that I really got into live, but when I got home and listened to them it just wasn't the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumb duck
Seeing anything metal live just doesn't really appeal to me when I could hear better audio quality on my headphones without being surrounded by sweaty neck-bearded morons shouting over the music. Most people would go to see a band live more for socializing rather than the actual music itself.

But... I would like to see Sunn O))) live if we're counting that as metal, I've heared that they're on a whole different level compared with other live performances.

I've seen Sunn 0)))... It was not a pleasant experience. They went overboard with their fog machines and kept setting off the fire alarm at the House of Blues. I couldn't stand it but I had to wait for Celtic Frost.

Last edited by ExDementia : 07-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #49
pcatalano

Machine Head-guitar/rhythm section-wise...vocals...not so much
pcatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Sunn O)))'s a great experience, the sound does strange things to people. For me it started to feel like the noise was coming from my own head after an hour, weird weird feeling. Attila does some completely unreal things with his voice as well

Something well worth going to but only once for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
blommen
A rather smug Hobbit.

Behemoth are absolutely amazing live.
Originally Posted by we_built_a_tree
Oh look at me, I'm WBAT, these days I only smoke pipes and read Dostoyevsky.

You are a false
blommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #52
Born Headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by blommen
Behemoth are absolutely amazing live.

They put on a pretty good show when I saw 'em a few years ago too. All the theatrics were pretty entertaining and they had good stage presence. Their live guitar tone was pretty horrific though, extremely scooped mids, the solos didn't cut through the mix at all.
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #53
InvaderTSN
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
Yeah you can tell the Suffocation guys really put everything into playing live, and really enjoy it. Great to see from a band on the go as long as they are. Even the wigger stage moves are entertaining as shit.

By wigger stage moves do you mean when Frank does those hand gesture? I love that shit. Suffocation always put on a good show. Rotten Sound, Turisas, and Immortal are super tight as well.

For non-metal groups I'd say Odd Future is great as well. Their live shows are intense.
InvaderTSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #54
WanderLuster

Baroness is easily my favorite live band. Went to a show headlined by Mastodon with BTBAM, High on Fire, Baroness, and many other bands but Baroness just blew every band out of the water and stole the show. Such an epic sound live - the records (as great as they are) just don't do them justice. Their drummer is phenomenal and their vocal harmonies are just baller. Gotta love the dual lead guitarists/vocalists. Great sounding band.
WanderLuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #55
wintee_madness
nyrkki

Opeth, Voyager, Bodom, Mastodon, In Flames. They all sounded amazing and put on a wicked show.

But I have to say my favorite show ever was Unearth, I'm not much of a Metalcore fan but they were Fvcking awesome!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
Gulumok
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintee_madness
Opeth, Voyager, Bodom, Mastodon, In Flames. They all sounded amazing and put on a wicked show.

But I have to say my favorite show ever was Unearth, I'm not much of a Metalcore fan but they were Fvcking awesome!!!!

I really like Bodom. They were one of my first metal bands I was into. Are you dead yet was one of the first advanced songs I learned on guitar
BUT You call that outstanding? Alexi is drunk all the time on stage. When I saw them live he forgot some lyric parts and played very very sloppy. Have a look at the Wacken 2011 which is not re-recorded in studio that's not how I define "outstanding".
Gulumok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #57
wintee_madness
nyrkki

I saw them in Melbourne last november and it was one of the shows he played well. I have seen the show your talking about on youtube and I know its shit. They didn't miss a note when I saw them!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #58
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

I saw Iced Earth w/ Stu and was absolutely blown away. Great sound, great energy, and lots of back up singers.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulumok

Having seen the first 3 live I find it hard to believe that they where better than Primordial. Unless Primordial where having a bad day.
Infact Equilibrium rank amongst the worst bands I've seen live, and I was a fan when I saw them. I walked away in the end. (it was at a festival)
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #60
masterofmuppets
Too Drunk

Iron Maiden, Primordial and Electric Wizard all come to mind.

Wizard are the heaviest thing ever live.
masterofmuppets is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: