Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Thrasher Chris

Bass String Question

I play in a melodic death metal band and since we started gigging/recording regularly I've noticed that I keep getting a blister on my right middle finger (I don't use a pick). All of my other fingers have callus build up except for that one finger.

I noticed that every 5-6 weeks it will blister/pop and just be a nuisance. Is it possible that I'm using strings that are gauged too thick for the music I play? I currently use DR (DDT) strings.

Metal bassists, recommend any other brand of strings or have a similar issue that I have?

Thanks,
Chris.
Thrasher Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
f-cusson

You just need to practice gradually so you can finally have callus on your middle finger. It probably mean you put too much force with your middle finger. Check if you have really equal sounding from each finger it could be the problem, but for the gauge hypotesis I doubt thatMs the problem I probably tried every gauge for different sound and it doesn't blister any differently, it really depend on the force you put on the plucking
f-cusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
corrda00
Unregistered User

A melo-death bassist playing with his fingers? Thats a first :P
JK

As for strings your fingers shouldnt blister regardless what you play. It may be that you haven't built up enough calous yet.
As far as plucking goes players like Steve Harris and Alex Webster pluck extremely hard with no problems. That being said most players over compansate and could get a cleaner tone with less effort.
The only other problem I think you could have is if you were allergic to the metal the strings are made of. However this would cause problems in both hands. If it is the case try a different metal (nickel vs steel ect) or coated strings.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
moody git
I bad writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrda00
The only other problem I think you could have is if you were allergic to the metal the strings are made of. However this would cause problems in both hands. If it is the case try a different metal (nickel vs steel ect) or coated strings.

that makes sense, but I wouldn't imagine the skin is 'exposed' to the strings for long enough.
if i wear a nickel backed watch my wrist ends up having a red sore circle where the back would be, but - correct me if i'm wrong - i don't think the skin on the finger tips is in contact or sensitive enough.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
4ply87

I'm in a band and we play the same style music, I play on ernie ball regular slinkies and I don't have any problem with blisters unless I play for an unusually long ammount of time.
4ply87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

maybe try some coated strings? Elixer?
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Nickel-plated bass strings can cause an allergic reaction if your skin is sensitive to high concentrations of the metal (that's why your watch irritates your skin), but as far as I know, the DR DDT strings are stainless steel, and they don't have enough nickel to spark an allergic reaction.

What is probably happening is that you aren't giving that blistered finger enough time to heal, so the skin remains more sensitive that ususal. You're going to have to cover that blister and let it heal.

An old trick that some bassists use for gigs is to put Krazy Glue (or some similar superglue) on their fingertips to prevent callouses, blisters and the like. I've done it, and it works, but I don't recomment it unless you have a gig coming up and you absolutely have to be able to play your bass fingerstyle and pain-free. The stuff is a royal bitch to get off of your fingertips.

So in short, there is nothing about the strings that needs changing. It will just take more time for that finger of yours to toughen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
christianonbass

My fingers are generally calloused fairly well so I don't have too much trouble; but, if for some reason I suddenly increase the intensity of my playing i.e. recording or a gig for the first time in a while, I may get a blister...and that means problems! Try not to play harder than usual at any time. If I take a couple days off from playing I need to get my finger tips back into "Shape". I have a general rule about strings: The tougher the strings are on my fingers, the better the sound. It seems the brighter they are out of the package the shorter life they have. I love the sound of Blue Steels...for about half of a gig. Boomers are not quite as bright, but last longer. I want to try Elixers on my bass, and tell you how they worked. I hope this all made sense You people are great!
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

This thread is five months old. I suspect his blisters have healed. Pretty good advice, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: