Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
So Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Lemme, and Brian Johnson could all be opera singers with the proper training?!

Yer killin' me.

CT
In Philly, there was an older gentleman from South Philly, who everyday, parked his 10 year old station wagon on the supermarket lot at 70th and Grovers.

Out of the back he would sell American flags, and God knows what else. But what he was most proud of, were the cassette tapes he huckstered, of him singing Frank Sinatra songs. He sounded just like him too. At least as much as the small bullhorn mounted of the roof of the wagon would allow.

I know there's a lesson in there somewhere,. But, I'll be damned if I can put my finger on it ATM......
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
RadioMuse

Not everyone could or should be an opera singer, but I'd believe that most tonally competent singers could give it a go. They just have to embrace their natural range more first... Most men in rock are baritones that are singing on the upper-end of their range rather than embracing all of what they.

But I think baritones or even basses work out fine in rock... and you can always just shoot for the upper-end of your range anyway... you can definitely push your voice to fit your music and your music to fit your voice.

The biggest consideration if you're going to embrace your baritone is that you need to create space for it in the equalization of everything since a lot of rock instrumentation has a bad habit of occupying the 'space' your voice is in. In studio recordings this has been accomplished time and time again, but it can be a real trick live...

And singing lower certainly isn't limited to hard rock either: The National

Though your voice is probably 'stronger' you can always work on dialing back until you're giving it just enough to hit the note and not much more....

And don't be worried about doing something "different" for the genre. Genres are more like guidelines anyway, and they were almost never created on purpose so much as necessity. Toni Iommi cuts off some fingers -> downtuning -> metal.

Last edited by RadioMuse : 10-10-2012 at 09:42 AM.
RadioMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
So Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Lemme, and Brian Johnson could all be opera singers with the proper training?!

Yer killin' me.

Here's the thing:

These guys clearly never tried.

Asking in Neil Young could have been a functional opera singer is sort of like asking, based on his singing, if he could be a good drummer. Who the hell knows?

Bob Dylan has clearly never really cared what he sounded like. What would he sound like if he had, from a young age, tried? If he had taken care of his voice, actually learned how to hit notes, studied articulation, etc?

It doesn't seem like he'd have great range, but how do you get good range? By working on your technique and making range important to you from a young age. He could almost certainly have had better range, and sounded "better" if he cared and put work into it. How good could he have been?

All any of us can do is guess.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Duce180

Yeah none of those guys really sang with proper technique lol. It takes years and years of training to become an opera singer. Could those guys do it? If they got rid of their improper singing habits and spent years training, probably. I'm glad they didn't

Last edited by Duce180 : 10-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
flame843
stop the munati

the most important thing you can do is to strengthen your mastery of your range as much as you can instead of concerning yourself with what pitches you CAN'T hit. the idea that having a lower-than-tenor voice is a crippling vocal limitation is just silliness. the most important quality you can have in your singing voice is expressiveness, and that's irrespective of your range.

top-40 male pop singers do tend to be tenors, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement, that's just a byproduct of the type of music that's generally in the top 40 being conducive to a higher voice. that could change over time, for sure! and in rock, nowadays, i think there's probably a pretty even split of baritones and tenors.

i can think of a bunch of very popular modern rock singers whose voices are strongest in the baritone range, like yours: Billy Joe Armstrong, James Hetfield, Corey Taylor, Scott Weiland, Dave Grohl, Mike Patton...tons more. your friend is BS-ing you.
flame843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Chaingarden
RE: Su...de "Ret-Siger!"

There's always room for a good voice.

Seriously, a thick, sultry baritone has never gone out of style. You also have the advantage of being able to adduct your cords more the lower your voice is.

That's a well kept secret of bass/baritones. You really have a greater range of sounds, though you might not be as versatile as a true tenor in the higher ranges. Personally, I am a low bass/baritone who can hang around the low D of a dropped-D guitar with conviction. I've practiced to the point of being able to sing just shy of every note on the guitar. If you're that concerned, just expand your range, and learn to get fluid and expressive in those ranges in terms of tonal quality. It can be done, and it isn't as harrowing as it sounds.
Chaingarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #27
robsterlobster

In all honesty I feel the baritone voice naturally sounds more significantly more expressive than tenor voices. Whether my opinion is slightly bias (I sing in a bass-baritone voice) I don't know, but the're are plenty of good deep voiced singers in rock and metal. And if you sing like Sinatra, that can only be a good thing right?
robsterlobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: