Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
MaddMann274
Ridding sanity

Cables for bass??

This might be a stupid question, but are there cables made specifically for electric bass guitars? I saw on ebay what said "Cable for Bass guitar" or something like that...

Thanks,

Twitter
Reverbnation
MaddMann274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/

Just a quick search on the internet and there's a brand out there made by Monster Cable. Says it give more punch. Me I just use a regular standard instrument cable. This is the one I was looking at http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2308 wonder if anyones used any of these and if they're better than the standard cable.
apotterdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
chatterbox272

bleh, after a certain point an instrument cable is an instrument cable and you won't be able to tell the difference between the two. Sure there's something to quality, the cables included in beginner packs are notoriously terrible, and cheap cables may not last as long but any sound difference you think you hear will most likely be confirmation bias.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

It also depends on your other equipment. If your amp isn't sensitive, you'll hear no difference between cables (unless it's a really crappy cable). How long your cable is makes more difference in sound. I tried my 1.5m, 3m and 7.5m cables and also two 7.5m cables (through chorus pedal on true bypass) and the difference was clear, longer cables lacked treble.

But really, I don't know what a bass guitar cable is. Because they try to make cables to have as little signal loss as possible and it doesn't matter which instrument you plug in, it will always have the same signal loss. Cables are designed to affect the sound as little as possible. So does a bass guitar cable add something to the sound (and I don't know how it could)? It just doesn't make sense.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotterdd
wonder if anyones used any of these and if they're better than the standard cable.

There's a guy in America offering a stupid amount of money to anyone who can accurately tell them apart from standard cables in a blind test.

They're running a racket and preying on ignorant folks who think that sound quality can be upped with 130 cables.

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
bassplayerJ91

I think the only difference you'll notice between cables (at least the only difference i've ever seen) is between a REALLY crappy one and a decent one. There's usually some extra noise when you use the super cheap ones...but that is a simple fix by buying one from one of the decent brands (live wire, planet waves, etc).

As far as bass cables...i'm sure there's something special about them. are they necessary? not at all...
bassplayerJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Sliide90027

my choice in Bass Cables is Elixers.

They call them strings, but they are actually Cables.

Just look a the Low B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: