Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Loki.Foxchild

Wow! this is gonna be cool if it works out. can't wait to hear all the combos.
Loki.Foxchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Just to toss in my .02 dollars. I wouldn't switch between coils on the buckers, that will be almost unnoticeable. Have parallel series option would be way more versatile.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
someone_random
is somehow random

My general idea for choosing to be able to individually select the single coils was so that I could combine for example the north coil of the neck with the south coil of the bridge, or the north bridge coil with the north neck coil etc.
Which now that I think of it produces another question: Does the above circuit provide some kind of hum-cancelling? If not, is single coil + single coil worse than single coil + humbucker (which I know the hum volume of as a reference)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I'm not sure, but I think rotary switches have a metal plate that can be grounded, to you could just run a ground wire to it and then use that for your ground. The shielding should grounded to it as well.

Would it be enough then to connect the ground from the 5-way to just the metal plate if there is one? Also, the ground wire that goes up from the tone pot, does that represent the connection to shielding? I basically just copied that part from other diagrams, and I thought it lead to something specifically for ground.
someone_random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

In order for something to be hum cancelling, you need a pickup to be reverse wound AND reverse polarity in relation to the other pickups. So, theoretically, your humbuckers in parallel should be hum cancelling. The same could be said about combining the bridge N coil with the neck S coil and vise-versa, assuming BKP winds all of their humbuckers the same direction. I don't know how it's supposed to work when it's humbucker+single coil, you'll just have to try it out.

As for the ground, I never ground my shielding. The ground is the negative lead from the output jack. There's really no other way.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
someone_random
is somehow random

Ok then.

The single coil + humbucker thing just meant that I have a reference level for a hum that is created by a single coil and a humbucker on my other guitars, so I had that as a base level for a possible comparison. But as you explain it, all is fine.

I'll update this when I have more time and got all the parts needed. Thanks again.
someone_random is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: