Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
jdenmo

Arrow Original Garage Rock /Blues alternative guitar

I have no idea how to describe the style of this, its some alternative rock, blues and distorted guitar. I recorded the guitar with my shitty old Crate GX-15R and edited in the drums with FL studio 10. I had way too many problems adding bass so i decided **** it, ill just do that some other day. heres what i made though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9dG8rY5o8

im a big fan of neil young and jimi hendrix. i also tried incorporating a nice slow bonham esque drum beat

lemme know what you all think, im 18 and selftought, ive been playing on and off for years but ive been pretty dedicated the last 2 months

Last edited by jdenmo : 08-04-2012 at 05:58 PM.
jdenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Xnulian Rrudho

The main riff is excellent. Not afraid to keep it simple while not sounding exactly like anything else (to my knowledge anyway). That could be the basis for a really memorable, anthemic song with the right vocals over it. The intro's nice enough, too.

I'm not entirely a fan of the bits where the key changes and the tempo is a bit quicker though. You could perhaps make it work with a nicer range of sounds on the amp (as you say, it's only a shitty old basic one so hardly your fault per se) oh and another instrument to make those chords more 'convincing' if you know what I mean. Wouldn't say bass though. Something weird like a flute or clarinet maybe.

The lurch between slow main section and sped-up bit reminds me MASSIVELY of some John Lennon stuff, by the way, when he started to get a bit more hostile and strange with his songwriting, so the very late Beatles and early solo stuff essentially. The guitar sound isn't a million miles off the Plastic Ono Band sound either. In fact I'm kind of coming round to it now after a second listen. Hmm.
Xnulian Rrudho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Xnulian Rrudho

Changed my mind, definitely definitely don't add a flute or clarinet. Worst idea ever.

Here's the thing I just posted, if you wouldn't mind having a listen:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1555199

Last edited by Xnulian Rrudho : 08-04-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Xnulian Rrudho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
jdenmo

thanks man i appreciate it, yeah i really dig the riff. the intro was meant to be continued throughout the song but the drum beats and tempo on everything was all so off that i just left it in the beginning. i wish the transitions were a bit smoother but when i recorded it thats the best i could get it to match
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
jdenmo

anyone who knows an easy way to add bass to this or could overdub it themselves and send me a bass track to edit in? im really new to editing programs this is my first song
Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
GazzaCee
Tyrion is da bomb.

I'm not massive fan of this style of music, but this ain't bad. It would be completed by a bass presence. I do like the bits where the tempo changes. The main riff is really catchy, and like that guy above said, has an anthemic feel.

Overall, a good song.

No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
GazzaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaCee
I'm not massive fan of this style of music, but this ain't bad. It would be completed by a bass presence. I do like the bits where the tempo changes. The main riff is really catchy, and like that guy above said, has an anthemic feel.

Overall, a good song.

thanks man i appreciate it, i work hard on original and unique riffs because theres so much unoriginal repetitve guitar these days so its nice to make catchy tunes without vocals and bass. but yeah i gotta add some bass to it, hopefully ill find a buddy who plays or i figure out a program that lets me edit it in easier
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
DanielMcArdle

There's some really nice melodic ideas in this but the guitar playing overall feels slightly robotic to me almost as if it's supposed to flow more smoothly than it does but if you're going for that disjointed, stacatto sound then it's a matter of preference I suppose.

It has a nice sound though, you could come up with something great with some work.
DanielMcArdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMcArdle
There's some really nice melodic ideas in this but the guitar playing overall feels slightly robotic to me almost as if it's supposed to flow more smoothly than it does but if you're going for that disjointed, stacatto sound then it's a matter of preference I suppose.

It has a nice sound though, you could come up with something great with some work.

thanks man but yeah i know what you mean, the timing and tempo changes and i struggled to find a drum change that didn't do that. in the future im going to make the drums come first then make a song around it that way to make it more smooth
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
CerebralEdge

I like the guitar riff at the starting, pretty catchy. I think it could really use a bass track of some kind though, it would cover up most of the excess string noise.

Other than that, the structure seemed pretty good. Felt like it knew where it was going.
CerebralEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
SilverDolphin
The Ghost Passenger

Thanks for the comment!
The main riff at the start was great. I really like the part @0:36. I think it can be big and an anthem with the right drums and vocals. The transition to the more upbeat part sounded too forced. A bass track would help with the very hollow sound. I'm not a fan of the guitar tone. Some chords sounded dissonant.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Dabog701

I like the idea, it'd sound really good if you recorded it with a better amp, but at the same it sounds kinda vintage and raw, and I like that! As mentioned above , a bass track would add a lot to the overall sound.

I think the drums would sound better with a bit more flow to them, like a nice steady beat in the background would be cool, but since you'd have to program the drums yourself I understand why you wouldn't want to do that! haha

I quite liked it, keep at it man, could sound very nice with a bit of time!
Dabog701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralEdge
I like the guitar riff at the starting, pretty catchy. I think it could really use a bass track of some kind though, it would cover up most of the excess string noise.

Other than that, the structure seemed pretty good. Felt like it knew where it was going.

thanks man, are there any solid programs you'd recommend for adding rock bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDolphin
Thanks for the comment!
The main riff at the start was great. I really like the part @0:36. I think it can be big and an anthem with the right drums and vocals. The transition to the more upbeat part sounded too forced. A bass track would help with the very hollow sound. I'm not a fan of the guitar tone. Some chords sounded dissonant.

i agree man, i know what you mean. i actually got a new amp though so i might re-record it cause itll sound alot better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabog701
I like the idea, it'd sound really good if you recorded it with a better amp, but at the same it sounds kinda vintage and raw, and I like that! As mentioned above , a bass track would add a lot to the overall sound.

I think the drums would sound better with a bit more flow to them, like a nice steady beat in the background would be cool, but since you'd have to program the drums yourself I understand why you wouldn't want to do that! haha

I quite liked it, keep at it man, could sound very nice with a bit of time!

thanks man, i need to find a program that adds bass for rock songs
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
FenderMayer

Hey man, great work! The guitars sound very "british" which I absolutely love. Keep working with this definitely, when you add the bass in you'll probably get a whole wave of ideas.. that's how it usually works for me. Keep it up man! You've got a great frame here
FenderMayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I listened to it and had a few likes and dislikes.

- The timing changes will be good when drums are added or worked on better
- The tone was decent (in places)
- I was singing along and making words up as the song went on, especially when the main riff was in full flow.
- It's definitely a decent start

Dislikes
- Some of the playing was sloppy. Around half way through I didn't know what I was listening to.
- The timing changes must be tighter.
- The tone seems to work better for the lead parts and not so well for the rhythm

That's my honest critique. I did find a lot of promise in it, but it needs to be worked on.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...09#post30184609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
jdenmo

thanks for the feedback, what did you guys think of the solo at 1:55
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

Thanks for the crit pal, sorry about the delay. Agreed that the production could be better on my song. Hoping the addition of the bass line and his backing vocals (rather than my bad ones) will help it along. I changed the lyrics just before recording it so that would explain the flow, didn't spot the problem until you guys mentioned it though!

As for your song, could be a nice interlude in an album. But apart from that I can't figure out what it would be FOR. The guitar work has some really nice ideas. And the odd, thumping drums are growing on me. I quite liked the key changes. My only real problem is the tone. The drum tone could be better and the lead guitar needs a bit of EQ and a sustain compressor might help. But to be honest re-doing through a better amp would be easier and achieve nicer sounds. The rhythm guitar tone is really off though, it sounds to me like an electric guitar being strummed whilst not being plugged in. Basically, I like it but I think it needs re-recording!
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Apples on Cacti
Fingering minors

The song sounds like it really could be going somewhere, but I'm having some trouble handling the guitar tone here. Kinda thin and I think maybe a tad off tune. Probably your amp making the thinness and all that, but I'd also try different pickup setting. For an inexpensive amp upgrade, though, as long as you're okay with not playing super loud, the Micro Cube is phenomenal. The solo also is getting there, but if you could maybe insert some legato phrasing here and there or maybe alternate pick, the smoothness would help a lot. It sounds like you have some ideas going there, but it also sounds like you're downpicking all the time, which makes all the notes sound kind of detached. As a whole, though, I'd say you're going somewhere good with this. Drums were pretty well done, you're good with that. Just work out the guitar sound and maybe some smoothness and you'll be rolling.

Edit: I listened to your other video with just the riffs and stuff for this song, and the recording/sound is so much better. What happened with this one lmao

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues

Last edited by Apples on Cacti : 09-07-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Apples on Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples on Cacti
The song sounds like it really could be going somewhere, but I'm having some trouble handling the guitar tone here. Kinda thin and I think maybe a tad off tune. Probably your amp making the thinness and all that, but I'd also try different pickup setting. For an inexpensive amp upgrade, though, as long as you're okay with not playing super loud, the Micro Cube is phenomenal. The solo also is getting there, but if you could maybe insert some legato phrasing here and there or maybe alternate pick, the smoothness would help a lot. It sounds like you have some ideas going there, but it also sounds like you're downpicking all the time, which makes all the notes sound kind of detached. As a whole, though, I'd say you're going somewhere good with this. Drums were pretty well done, you're good with that. Just work out the guitar sound and maybe some smoothness and you'll be rolling.

Edit: I listened to your other video with just the riffs and stuff for this song, and the recording/sound is so much better. What happened with this one lmao

thanks for the review man, and to be honest, im not sure. i think its cause in this version i overdubbed some acoustic so thats why it sounds like you can hear me hitting the fret with the pick during the 3rd rhythm part. as for the video with just the riffs, i think i didn't have overdrive on when i recorded it so its alot cleaner. thanks though
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
jdenmo

Rate This Thread: