Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
desmond27

I've never purchased any instrument online, since I am skeptical about what I will receive. I believe in trying it out before buying. How has your experience been buying online?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
Spaztikko

Thomann has a 30-Day money back worldwide guarantee and a 3 year warranty. Can't see whats wrong with that. TS, I'd still go with either the RG470AHZNTF, thats my first choice. If not, go for the Blacktop HSH.

I really can't help you anymore, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
Arjun_M

Fair. Just tell me how you bought from Thomann.de, how was the experience, and what would be your checklist for ordering abroad- and what to do if you get a lemon. That's all I need to know before buying, when I am more or less sure about what I want.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #24
Arjun_M

So it may just be the Fender Blacktop Strat HSH. I'm not too keen on an Ibanez as I wasn't impressed with the sound on clean, compared to a Strat. All the Strats I tested- Blacktop HH, MexStd SSS, AmSpec HSS, AmDX HSS- sound better on a clean channel. Ibanez would be good as a second guitar, but I want a Strat first.

Now the whole selling point of the HSH variant- maximum tonal variety. How does this setting give more than, say, HSS or HH with splitting? Besides, will I get a better clean/neck/rhythm tone with a singlecoil or coil-split at the neck?

Then mods, if any. Would there be any needed? Like fitting a N3 or Fat-50 or Texas Special in the middle, with a Diamondback humbucker on either side?

The shop most likely to make the sale will be the small shop that sold me the Mustang-1. They say they can cover more Fender products than the big chain who call themselves direct importers from Fender. Hopefully they'll beat the Global Best Buy price and sell it to me with the case. I'd prefer to avoid the customs folks altogether, and buy it at an appropriate price.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Arjun_M

The availability of the Jackson DK2M in the distributor's stock opens up another option. It saves me a lot of money on the American Special Strat HSS (available cheap at a local shop) and is likely to come sooner than the Blacktop of my choice (HSH) and is more refined than any Blacktop. But there's a catch- this is a discontinued/withdrawn product. As we know, the Japanese Jacksons were withdrawn when the plant shut down. Yet, the price has gone up with a hike in the dollar rate.

Yes, the apparently discontinued DK2/DK2M is sold as a current product in India.

It costs nearly US$599-649 (it would cost that much if still sold in the US) at present. For something rather old. The Blacktop is a current product, and will hold its US$499 price, and so will the AmSpec Strat HSS in the shop, at US$799. The DK2M comes with a hard case.

Is that the right price for the DK2M? I tried to get the price down, but the distributor said that they can't do anything about the price, due to high dollar, increased duties and taxes. The DK2M would be the best choice, but for the possibility of getting ripped off, and if the AmSpec Strat HSS is ideal, I may opt for that- at least it's a new product. Again, it's the same small shop with big discounts.

How does the DK2M or DK2 fare in comparison with the AmSpec Strat HSS?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
Spaztikko

Hmmm. I'm sorry for leaving you dry for a while. Life caught up and I forgot.

Its fair enough you don't want to go through customs. I watch exchange rates intently, and I'm waiting to maximise on a possible even higher NZD to USD conversion, but thats pretty irrelevant.

Ultimately, when it comes to pickups, its dependent on both your amp and what kind of sound you want to achieve, and 99% of the time a new amp is in order, rather than new pups. Luckily for me, there is a thread on the fender forums comparing the blacktop, DK2M and the AmSpec HSS.

If it were me, I'd buy the Jackson, but thats opinion. Looking at it objectively, there isn't much improvement from the Blacktop and the AmSpec, there really isn't, in terms of quality of parts etc, I just like Dinkys. And its made in japan, so chances are its a much higher quality than mexico, but thats also a rash generalisation.

Go and play them. I'd say the Jackson.

And hah, the guy on the fender forum is you. Read what they say as well.

Quote:
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #27
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

I ordered an ESP LTD V-500 from Thomann a few years ago, and I couldn't have been happier with their service. They advised me of their returns policy and the guitar arrived in 2 days (Germany to Scotland) when they had estimated 4+ days for delivery.
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
Spaztikko

And, if you're super far away and shit breaks down, generally they'll not even ask for it back.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
Arjun_M

@Spaztikko - thanks for following up!

I'm still awaiting your checklist on importing a guitar, and what you did when you bought from Thomann, from placing an online order to the arrival at your doorstep. When customs get so greedy, and outright unhelpful, we're forced to chase the best prices online - even if it means buying from that custom shop located in Nevada. A clear checklist will help someone new to purchasing online.

Here's how both options stack up. The DK2M, waiting time and all, would be a smart choice, but that deal on an American Special Strat is tempting.

Fender American Special Strat HSS-
  • Made in USA. Not so much the lustre of that tag, but also an assurance of the best wood and woodwork.
  • Plenty of tones in one instrument- easy to switch styles- and great for cleans.
  • The lowest-priced American guitar in the market, and a very new model.
  • The shop has a few units in the warehouse, and one in the shop loft itself.
  • A little too expensive
  • Maybe the extra features on the Dinky are worth chasing?
Jackson Dinky DK2M-
  • Built to the specs of a Strat, but for playing metal, yet good on cleans.
  • 24 frets, Seymour Duncan Jazz-JB, floating trem, locking tuners
  • Compound radius, flatter (?) neck, contoured heel - better playability
  • Money saved - 72% the price of that Strat
  • Maybe that money can be spent on wiring a five-way Big Apple switching system
  • Made in Japan - assured of quality
  • Just where do they get their wood? Choice of wood sourced may be a deal-breaker.
  • There isn't any test piece in any shop!

Can someone name a guitar (Ibanez/ESP/Schecter/Dean) that closely resembles a Jackson DK2M in shape and form? At least if I get my hands on one, I'll get a hint of the feel and playability of that instrument. That shop has the Fender AmSpec HSS, so I have one to test out.

If it's the Dinky I buy, I've thought of fitting a five-way switch to make it more like a Big Apple or Blacktop Strat. Will that kind of wiring make the Dinky sound like this (FSR Strat HH)? Or this (Blacktop Strat HH)?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #30
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

You can EASILY get a used American Standard HSS for the price of that Special.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #31
Arjun_M

Not in this market. I can spot just one used American Standard, and it's SSS. It sells for more than the Special, and the seller will make a profit from the sale, on the rising dollar-rupee multiplier.

If I have to get a better instrument used at a better price, I'll have to order online.

Or just order a Stratocaster neck, electronics, hardware and SD pickups, and have a luthier locally build the body and assemble the Strat.

Nick, the GC at Plano has a used Fender American Strat in Candy Apple Red at $649. Is it a fair price? And the instrument in good condition? USA-1997, though, is a bit of a hitch, as I'm not sure if they mixed poplar into the guitar wood. There's also a DKMG in blue, but I'm not keen on EMGs or any active pickup at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
Spaztikko

Ok, dude. I was going to buy stuff from thomann, but then I could, as in spot check could be charged 15%, and then 5-10% on top of that, so I didn't, because despite the savings I have, I didn't have THAT much. I still have shit gear.

In my case, it would've been - pay thomann, get it shipped, and wait for a ginormous customs bill, and pickup from the airport/ shipped to my house, depending on whether I get taxed.

Honestly, I'd go with the Jackson DK2M. If buying that from thomann, then buy a hard case with it and tell them to prep it for flight (ie slacken strings so neck doesnt warp). I like metal, and that'd be my choice, being presented with the two.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #33
Arjun_M

I had more or less decided on the DK2M from Japan, and thought of replacing the 3-way switch with a 5-way Mega-switch or Super-switch, with a pattern similar to the Blacktop or Big Apple Strat, which would cost a wee bit. And also settle with the JT-580 LFR. Until a change of job, I'd settle with this, and then collect some money for an imported used ($599) Am Std Strat.

Then this happens- Jackson introduces the new Pro series, which includes two variants of the DK2M- one with a quilted maple top. They've got genuine Duncans too (SH-4b JB, SH-1n 59- hang on, I'd prefer the SH-2n Jazz) and an authentic Floyd Rose, and they come packaged with the Big Apple switching I want in a DK2M from the last Japanese batch. Cost expected is $600-700, and they appear to be made in Mexico (there will be some pro-series Soloists coming from Indonesia as well) since Japan's factory closed down.

Is this new batch worth the wait? Or do I just buy the last batch DK2M and add the switch? Jacksons are slow movers in the Indian market, anyway.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #34
Spaztikko

Buy the Japanese one - pups and switching can be done yourself, at anytime, and aren't needed if you like how it sounds already.

Generally japanese crafted guitars are also better made than mexico in terms of quality of wood and shit, but that could just be opinion as there are some nice mim out there.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
Arjun_M

Disappointing news- the distributor cannot locate any units anywhere. The DK2M is as good as out of reach, so I opted for the Blacktop with Floyd Rose, but I'm getting no update on that either. I don't know what's the snag here. The dealer, on the other hand, has offered to pick up what I want from the United States using a forwarder, to save my cash if I'm importing. He tells me not to wait for the distributor. That opens up some more options.

I thought of the odd HM Strat by Fender, and had more or less decided on one dark red model, but before Guitar Center could tell me anything, it got sold. There are two more at Akron, Ohio, and I'm particularly interested in the grey model. There's an obnoxious bubblegum-pink model (I swear I'll have it repainted if I'm stuck with it- or any other colour I don't like- black included) at $499, and on eBay, there's a weird sky blue HM Strat with HhH configuration.

Then there's something very, very enticing- the Jackson USA SDK1. At under $500, it is quite a steal. But is there a catch to it?

Then the Highway One Showmasters, wherever they sell. I'm keen on a USA Showmaster only, not something from Korea (there's a chance Cor-Tek made them and I don't wish to buy from that factory), and there's a Highway One with some paint damage (covered up with black stickers) selling under $500.

So it's a used HM Strat HSS, used Jackson SDK-1 and used Showmaster Highway-1 to choose from, apart from a new Blacktop HH-FR. The SDK-1 seems most enticing, but there may be a catch to it, and the HM Strats are difficult to catch, so are USA Showmasters.

Rate This Thread: