Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
gtgates

Guitar Rut- please help

Hello guys Im 17 years old..
Im playing guitar 3 years..I teached everything myself .I never took any courses.
Now Im a intermediate player who can also do advanced stuff(sweep malmsteen etc..).
I get a lot of good comments about my fast progress from other musicians around me .I love playing it.
But lately I stucked in a rut and I cant really get out of it.I was a good improv player now jusy my mind blocked.
My licks are all sound same...What can cure it? and What caused of that?

and I want to talk about my pratice routine... I play 8 hours guitar everyday and practice 7 tecniques as I said I learned guitar myself I also learned wrong techniques I mean I was a metallica player so I played a lot of down picking stuff and I also wasnt using my pinky alot now I can...

Today my problem is I dont know what to play or what to do...I just watch videos over and over again...

I will be so glad If guys can help thanks ^^

Last edited by gtgates : 08-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
gtgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
christhehammett

Paul Gilbert???
christhehammett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Listen to different styles of music. Learn some songs or solos from songs that sound interesting to you.

Getting a good teacher is always a good idea.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Listen to different styles of music. Learn some songs or solos from songs that sound interesting to you.

Getting a good teacher is always a good idea.

I also play blues I dont have a certain style..
Actually I love song that gives me chill but I dont know what to listen.Im like bored..
I listen Pantera Megadeth Avenged Sevenfold GNR and many other...

It will be cool If you guys can give some songs that might help me...

Paul Gilbert??!! ---

I will check his lesson to..

Last edited by gtgates : 08-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Carl_Berg

Seems to me this is more a personal issue than a technical one. From what you've written I can tell you're a really dedicated player, someone who doesn't give up before he reached his goal. While that is admirable, that's exactly where the problem lies.

In such a demanding and time-consuming area as guitar it is essential to have a correct practice schedule and a lot of patience. It is also very important to know when to pause. Stopping for a day of two every once in a while is fundamental for your muscle memory as well as your mental processing. You say you practice 8 hours a day, I say don't. You say you don't know how to progress, I say take a break.

Taking a break is one of the most difficult things a dedicated player has to face, for fear that he will lose what he had previously learned. But this is not the case, putting the guitar down for a day or two will dramatically increase your guitar-libido and your mental perception of the various techniques you've been learning.

Don't be discouraged, we all have passed through this stage at least once.
Carl_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
BigHeadClan
Mistro

Ruts happen,

Try changing up when and where you play this can really affect your mindset when you play, or like Rock said try listening to different music to try and get some inspiration.

Taking a break is always an option as well, don't stop playing completely but take some time to go hang out with some buds more often, in no time at all your going to want to run home to your guitar and want to play.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Berg
Seems to me this is more a personal issue than a technical one. From what you've written I can tell you're a really dedicated player, someone who doesn't give up before he reached his goal. While that is admirable, that's exactly where the problem lies.

In such a demanding and time-consuming area as guitar it is essential to have a correct practice schedule and a lot of patience. It is also very important to know when to pause. Stopping for a day of two every once in a while is fundamental for your muscle memory as well as your mental processing. You say you practice 8 hours a day, I say don't. You say you don't know how to progress, I say take a break.

Taking a break is one of the most difficult things a dedicated player has to face, for fear that he will lose what he had previously learned. But this is not the case, putting the guitar down for a day or two will dramatically increase your guitar-libido and your mental perception of the various techniques you've been learning.

Don't be discouraged, we all have passed through this stage at least once.

thanks a lot man...

My problem is the future...I didnt learned a new song since May.and some how I dpnt want to learn a new song right now like I dunno Im not in mood... I dont know what can help me to progress?? and I think I will ask myself this question a lot .What my guitar level will be on future?

I dont know I should work on my techniques or theory?

I want to learn I want to practice a lot..

@BigHeadClan
thanks man
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

I think you got burned out.

Take a week off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
gtgates

and I have an other question ..everything I play turns in to an EASTERN ARABIC sound/song I can make 100 songs with them but I dont want that sound.. I want to have a more rockn roll and blues solo song

What things can I pratice?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Your guitar doesn't play itself, it only does what you tell it to do.

If you want to play something else then do it, if something doesn't sound the way you wanted all you need to do is change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Ignore

do you write songs ?
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore
do you write songs ?

yep but as i said i turns into a arabic song...
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgates
yep but as i said i turns into a arabic song...

and why does that happen?

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
and why does that happen?

I dont know...maybe a result of overpractising I cant use my ring finger right now so im using my middle finger to much so i hit minor notes which makes some arabic turkish sound.

I was a really great blues rock player I was fast.. As i said I overpracticed this summer than a liitle injury happened I guess ...
while I was learning chromatic dimebag darrel lick
5 -7 -9
1 st finger - middle finder - little finger

you know. I I overpracticed and many other stuff same time.. I rested like a week and I felt good and I took the guitar again start to learn new things which I can use my ring and little finger..and It injured again.I have gone to doctor he said take a rest
I looked at me tecnique I didnt see something wrong...Im much better now
but every blues I play sound same..A cool lick and shxt...
Should I learn new scales?

I used my middle finger for bending a lot now Im trying to use my ring finger...

How can I warm up my ring finger for bend?

I can play a lick which uses "first-middle-little finger "fast and easly.. but when its come to "first-ring-little finger" i can go fast but more hard but my finger hurts after a while.

Last edited by gtgates : 08-11-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
steven seagull
not really a seagull

it's got nothing to do with scales, technique, practicing or anything else - stuff doesn't just "come out" of your guitar, it's only doing what YOU are telling it to do.

So if you want to stop hearing "arabian sounding stuff" coming out of your guitar YOU have to stop playing it.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Hail
kill both bass players

music is not a physical affair. your fingers will not make good music without direction from your head.

it's become a trend to identify a few notes on the fretboard and just start masturbating. this isn't as common with other (read: classical) instruments because they're typically taught with sheet music that tells you far more than a tab will.

you get the tempo, the rhythm, the dynamics, the type of articulation on each note, and fair warning for when any of these aspects change. you can read a score and, for all intents and purposes, be able to understand the entire piece as if you were listening to it. most "modern" instrumentalists (read: electric bassists and guitarists) are unfortunately robbed of this experience and immersion with transcribed music.

start learning music by ear and identify each parameter of each piece you come across. write it down if it helps. transcribe it on sheet music if you can. become familiar with more than just the notes you're playing and think of what your instrument will sound like beyond the shapes and intervals you're approaching.

by focusing too heavily on the notes (which you apparently don't have a proper grasp on, either, but we'll consider shapes in this category) you completely disregard other aspects of your playing that add dimensions and textures beyond the scope of the notes coming out of your fretboard.

Last edited by Hail : 08-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
gtgates

fpr example What scales or things I can learn to play jazz guitar?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:

Learn some 'jazz chords' and then use them to play some jazz standards. Which you will find in a Real Book. Also, you gotta listen to a lot of jazz to play jazz.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

Quote:

Music =/= scales.

You have to play jazz to play jazz. And listen to jazz. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN MUSIC.

You listen, you learn. Scales won't really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
music is not a physical affair. your fingers will not make good music without direction from your head.

it's become a trend to identify a few notes on the fretboard and just start masturbating. this isn't as common with other (read: classical) instruments because they're typically taught with sheet music that tells you far more than a tab will.

you get the tempo, the rhythm, the dynamics, the type of articulation on each note, and fair warning for when any of these aspects change. you can read a score and, for all intents and purposes, be able to understand the entire piece as if you were listening to it. most "modern" instrumentalists (read: electric bassists and guitarists) are unfortunately robbed of this experience and immersion with transcribed music.

start learning music by ear and identify each parameter of each piece you come across. write it down if it helps. transcribe it on sheet music if you can. become familiar with more than just the notes you're playing and think of what your instrument will sound like beyond the shapes and intervals you're approaching.

by focusing too heavily on the notes (which you apparently don't have a proper grasp on, either, but we'll consider shapes in this category) you completely disregard other aspects of your playing that add dimensions and textures beyond the scope of the notes coming out of your fretboard.

it's really heartbreaking, i need to stop making long posts
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: