Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Tmusician

Creating a Headphone Mix?

I've become interested in creating a headphone mix so that when I'm recording someone, I can hear the mix the way I want and they can hear it how they want (hear themselves louder or something probably).

I have a Presonus Firestudio Project and use Reaper. I tried making a track called "headphone mix" but I can't find the headphone output on the Firestudio Project as an option for output.

I think that the headphone output is set as channels 1+2, despite the fact that I have monitor speakers coming out of the back of the Firestudio Project on 1+2. As a result they are connected and I can't have separate mixes. Is there something I'm missing or do I have to get one of those 'headphone amps' or something?
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Yeah, sounds like you need to buy a piece of outboard equipment for that. You have 8 outputs, so you'll route two of those out to a headphone mixer/amp and run those mixes that way.

I figure this would integrate nicely with your setup: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...l-headphone-amp
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
surjer

I use this one for the musicians to listen through.. (im not a pro tho at all) I just get what i can afford!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...0-headphone-amp

Also coming out of two mono channels on your AI to the amp i use a Y cable like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-1-4-mono-males

Of course you will also need a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adaptor like this..
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster...P&cagpspn=pla&=

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page

Last edited by surjer : 08-13-2012 at 03:04 PM.
surjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

does your interface have multiple headphone connections? they may each be hooked to a different pair of outputs. on my inteface headphone 1 is L+R outputs 1+2 and headphone 2 is L+R outputs 3+4. i typically use it to switch between headphones and monitors, but you could do something else with it.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Tmusician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
does your interface have multiple headphone connections? they may each be hooked to a different pair of outputs. on my inteface headphone 1 is L+R outputs 1+2 and headphone 2 is L+R outputs 3+4. i typically use it to switch between headphones and monitors, but you could do something else with it.

The Presonus Firestudio Project only has one headphone output, but it has 8 outputs on the back (L+R type)

Maybe a possible solution is to get some Y cables and connect the headphones to the connections on the back?

Let me know if it is... but yesterday I went crazy and bought the Presonus Hp4 anyway... Hopefully I feel like it offers something of value.
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmusician
The Presonus Firestudio Project only has one headphone output, but it has 8 outputs on the back (L+R type)

Maybe a possible solution is to get some Y cables and connect the headphones to the connections on the back?

Let me know if it is... but yesterday I went crazy and bought the Presonus Hp4 anyway... Hopefully I feel like it offers something of value.

I don't think that would work very well, I believe there would be a pretty serious impedance mismatch that would either result in barely any sound or blown headphones.

Good call on the HP4, it'll definitely come in handy working with a group of people.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
AndreDew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmusician

I actually tried this on my Firestudio Project. Wanted to mess about with some backing elements on some songs with my band and I was a little upset when I realised I couldn't assign a separate mix for the headphone out. I also have a Duet2 and my drummer has a Firestudio Tube and you can have a separate mix for the phones on these other interfaces.

So I hooked up a Y connector to 3-4 and plugged my headphones in. Works great, just like a headphone out, no headphones were blown. As long as you create a separate mix and send it and/or the click track to 3-4 or whatever other available output you decide to use, it's going to work fine, no need for extra gear.
AndreDew is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: