Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Looking for a Strat/Superstrat!

So, over two years have passed since I bought my current guitar, my taste in music has expanded and my Epi Les paul just isn't cutting it any more. So I've been thinking of getting a HSS strat/superstrat. I've tried searching for one within my price range, looking at the usuals, ESP, Ibanez etc but all I could find were HH or HSH pickup configs. I would go for the G&L invader tribute, but there aren't many G&L guitars here, and the invader tribute is quite rare in the USA. Anyway, here we go...

Budget: £600-£700

Pickups and Preferences: Passives. HSS configuration, able to coil split the humbucker. As for the neck profile, I don't mind. The thickest it can be is as thick as my Epi Les Paul Standard (which I believe has the "60's" neck). 22 frets.

Body: Nothing too over the top and pointy like some ibanez'. If anything I'd like the shape to be something that resembles a strat without a pick guard like THIS or THIS. Looking for a hard tail/no trem.

I don't mind going used if it's a steal

Location: London, but I'm happy to order online if the company is within the UK.

Thanks for your help
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 08-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
rasmusschulz
UG's tittie wrestler

I know your budget is £600 - £700, but i would just like to inform you that you can get a brand spanking new American Fender Strat with exactly the configurations you want! If just you were willing to save up something like £250 more. So instead of getting something half good now (not saying that you can't find a good guitar for £700), then why don't you wait some time and get something you KNOW will be great? Of course go and try the guitar first, but since you live in London i can't see how that is an issue

Just a suggestion, but i thought you should at least know about the possibility

Or else you could just get the Mexican made one. Maybe not as great as the American made ones, but good guitars none the less
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big ****load of pedals that i don't know how to use..

Last edited by rasmusschulz : 08-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
rasmusschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Look at Godin.

Here are some in the $750-1000 range.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--God...uitars/low2high

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the hardtail/no trem thing might complicate things. it's not too hard to get HSS but most superstrats have a trem of some description.

there's probably something really obvious i'm missing, but i can't think of anything offhand at the moment which is HSS with no trem.

EDIT: ^ godin's a good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Oh, ok then. If that's the case then it will have to have a trem
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

But even most of their Superstrats are not hardtails.

The closest I can find that is is actually through their subsidiary, Richmond, and that looks like they crossed a Superstrat with a SG.

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

You might also check out thë Fernandes Revolver (here, the only hardtails have EMGs)

http://fernandesguitars.com/revolver.html

Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

The Carvin DC135 would seem to be right up your alley- it has a variety of 3 pickup combinations available...without a tremolo! They start around $750, but I don't know what kind of import taxes you'd get nailed by.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/neckthrough.php
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/dc135

Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Hmm yes that carvin does tick most of the boxes, although most likely I wouldn't be able to try before I buy as most of the UK dealers don't have them in stock and they would have to order one for me I'll have a look around to see if any other uk dealers have them...
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Unless you live in San Diego, Carvin is strictly an online retailer.

But don't let that scare you away- they are pretty damn well built guitars. About the only knock on them I have ever heard is that some people don't like their pickups...but that's a cheap fix.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Don't buy unless you can try. Honestly. I bought a MIA Strat and I've had no end of troubles. I've had it in the shop for 2 out of the 6 weeks I've had it. All because I didn't bother to spend enough time with it and just trusted the brand.

It's getting sorted now, but you could get unlucky and that can get ridiculous if you buy it from somewhere that isn't close to you.

Save up for a MIA, play them in your local shop, find one you like, get humbuckers in it, split them. Job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I appreciate that but the two big problems with that logic are 1) you still might miss something even if you try it first and 2) if you don't try first, you're covered by distance-selling regulations inside the EU (as long as it's not custom-made), so if anything is wrong you send it back for a full refund.

Don't get me worng, it's your money and your choice, but it's not just as simple as, "you're daft if you don't try first". maybe you aren't in an area with any decent guitar shops. Plus as i said, there are much better consumer protection laws if you actually *haven't* tried the thing first. You can get a full refund (minus postage) if you merely don't like the thing, even if there's nothing wrong with it. If you've tried it first, you are only entitled to a refund if the thing is faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIceBox
Oh, ok then. If that's the case then it will have to have a trem

I wouldn't say you definitely couldn't get one. I'm probably forgetting something really obvious. But it will narrow down your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Unless you live in San Diego, Carvin is strictly an online retailer.

But don't let that scare you away- they are pretty damn well built guitars. About the only knock on them I have ever heard is that some people don't like their pickups...but that's a cheap fix.

UK prices on carvins are crazy, though. they're good value (i assume, i haven't tried them) in the USA, but they're just as dear as, maybe dearer than, any other custom shop in the UK. Not getting one or £700, then, as far as im aware.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-16-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Buying without trying is OK as long as you're dealing with reputable businesses with decent return policies.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

in the EU by law you are.

Now... granted it's a lot easier if you know the store will do the decent thing and not fight you all the way, so I'd still advise buying from a store which you know will honour distance-selling regulations without a fuss. But you're not dependent on the store's beneficence inside the EU, by law they have to let you return it if you haven't tried it first (and, as i said, it wasn't a custom order or something).

EDIT: but yeah i agree, if they'll take it back without a fuss then buying online is absolutely fine. Maybe all the people who recommend not buying online live in areas with killer guitar shops, and that's fair enough, but a lot of people (including me) don't live in such an area. As such, I've always had much more success in buying something which i suspect i want, based on online research (and also having tried a fair few guitars, amps and pedals so i'm not completely in the dark) than buying something I can try but which i'm pretty ambivalent towards. I'm not sure buying something which you can try, but which trying has told you you don't want, is particularly sensible either

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ I appreciate that but the two big problems with that logic are 1) you still might miss something even if you try it first and 2) if you don't try first, you're covered by distance-selling regulations inside the EU (as long as it's not custom-made), so if anything is wrong you send it back for a full refund.

Don't get me worng, it's your money and your choice, but it's not just as simple as, "you're daft if you don't try first". maybe you aren't in an area with any decent guitar shops. Plus as i said, there are much better consumer protection laws if you actually *haven't* tried the thing first. You can get a full refund (minus postage) if you merely don't like the thing, even if there's nothing wrong with it. If you've tried it first, you are only entitled to a refund if the thing is faulty.

He lives in London. THere's a whole street dedicated to guitar shops here in London

If he lived in the valleys in Wales, I might say yea, go for it. But if you can try them do it. You might miss something in the shop, as I did, but if you have a decent shop they'll always try to help you, as mine is.

Of course, speak to them about returning it if you don't like it. If they say no, tell them you'll go somewhere else.

I know the long distance selling regulations, and it's good, but you still have to pay to return it, and that could be costly.

it's always better to play before you pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
UK prices on carvins are crazy, though. they're good value (i assume, i haven't tried them) in the USA, but they're just as dear as, maybe dearer than, any other custom shop in the UK. Not getting one or £700, then, as far as im aware.

That's a shame.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Heideck

Some used jackson Dinky could work too
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
(a) He lives in London. THere's a whole street dedicated to guitar shops here in London

If he lived in the valleys in Wales, I might say yea, go for it. But if you can try them do it. You might miss something in the shop, as I did, (b) but if you have a decent shop they'll always try to help you, as mine is.

(c) Of course, speak to them about returning it if you don't like it. If they say no, tell them you'll go somewhere else.

(d) I know the long distance selling regulations, and it's good, but you still have to pay to return it, and that could be costly.

(e) it's always better to play before you pay

(a) yeah, a whole street notoriously full of overpriced gear (and where a lot of the assistants/salespeople are dicks)

(b) again, "decent shop" and "denmark street" might be mutually exclusive

(granted, there's a couple of alright ones, but they're still plagued by those high prices)

(c) that's all well and good but they can just deny ever saying it. I don't believe in relying on the beneficence of businesses if i can help it, i'd rather rely on the law.

(d) you shouldn't have to pay to return it if it's faulty. Granted, you probably will if you merely don't like it- but considering petrol costs and cark park charges (or rail fares), it's debatable if postage charges would be any more expensive than all of that.

(e) of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
That's a shame.

yeah

Quote:

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

The shops in Denmark street are either full of very expensive 'vintage' guitars, or overpriced guitars. There are a few *decent* shops around Greater London but that's about it
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

*Shameless bump*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
Some used jackson Dinky could work too

I've had a look into the dinky series and all I could find were HH ones on their website. Mind you the San Dimas model ticks all boxes for me but it's over £1000

I did find this HSS dinky on another website though, I wonder if it's been discontinued... Anyway here it is. While it's way under my budget I thought I'd use it as an example for my next question. Would a "metal" superstrat like the one I linked be able to pull of that "strat" tone? I've seen videos of regular HSS strats and they seem to be able to pull off that strat twang or quack, but I'm wondering if a metal superstrat like the dinky above would also be able to pull that sound off?
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Rate This Thread: