User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #81
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh yeah, what's all this about a heatwave? Is it really hot in London? It's just been 'normal' here in Bristol today, my car thermometer said 21, but everyone's been on about how hot it is.

Also, that's pretty good considering how hot it allegedly is around your parts. Exercising when it's really hot is the worst

Also, post pics of the croissants!

my temperature wand thing I had handy measured 32c room temp. outside was 30c and now it's dark it's saying 23c. I didn't really feel it until I started my situps, I had to actually rest after them for once because of all the sweat.

will do with pics of the croissants tommorrow (provided I don't screw up and throw them away out of shame)

here's brioche though!: (100g butter to 250 flour )

soft crumb, light texture, sweet taste, flaky crust. happy with this even though I forgot to slash the top

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #82
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:
Cool, what subject?

medicine
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #83
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods

I've been planning to start running for the past 3 years or something.

My best attempt was this Summer. I went for 4 runs.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #84
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Twenty minutes is longer than I expected it to be.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #85
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist

soft crumb, light texture, sweet taste, flaky crust. happy with this even though I forgot to slash the top

Need some.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #86
yellowfrizbee
UG's Conversation Analyst

Yay! I love running. Is it cheating if I already run 5k multiple times in a week as part of my current routine? If not ill join. Maybe ill just up the intensity accordingly.

Ill be starting up Insanity workouts next week, so at the very least I can keep a progress log with you guys in that way..its fitness all the same

Stepco's Master
|MakinLattes for President!|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
yellowfrizbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #87
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

I think I'll do whatever I've been doing until now:

2-4 times a week:

10 minute warm up (2 min walking, 6 running, 2 walking)

The do this:
5x5 squats
5x5 bench press
5x5 babrell rows
or this:
5x5 squats
5x5 overhead press
1x5 deadlifts
(alternating between the two of these)

So basically, I'm just dilligently following the stronglifts.com thingy...

As well as the occasional 5 km walk once or twice a week.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #88
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

I did this and it worked okay, but stretch it out if you need to. Don't be afraid to repeat some days if it doesn't work out. It's not really a race.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #89
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
my temperature wand thing I had handy measured 32c room temp. outside was 30c and now it's dark it's saying 23c. I didn't really feel it until I started my situps, I had to actually rest after them for once because of all the sweat.

will do with pics of the croissants tommorrow (provided I don't screw up and throw them away out of shame)

That looks amazing!

I was making some pizza yesterday and the yeast packet I used had a recipe on there for chocolate orange bread, made using cocoa, orange zest, orange juice and chocolate chips. I'm going to have to make this, I think

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to knead the bread without getting chocolate chips embedded in the heel of my palms, but that's the price you pay for awesome bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid-to-waste
medicine

Wow! What year are you currently going into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
I've been planning to start running for the past 3 years or something.

My best attempt was this Summer. I went for 4 runs.

4 runs is a great start! Are you in for the couch to 5k thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Twenty minutes is longer than I expected it to be.

I know, right? Did you complete the run?

I'm doing W2R1 today, dreading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrizbee
Yay! I love running. Is it cheating if I already run 5k multiple times in a week as part of my current routine? If not ill join. Maybe ill just up the intensity accordingly.

Ill be starting up Insanity workouts next week, so at the very least I can keep a progress log with you guys in that way..its fitness all the same

Awesome! I'll add your name. You could check out the 5k+ as well, which is for people who can already run 5k.

I have heard of this Insanity thing and I'm intrigued. You'll have to keep us posted with how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaune92
I think I'll do whatever I've been doing until now:

2-4 times a week:

10 minute warm up (2 min walking, 6 running, 2 walking)

The do this:
5x5 squats
5x5 bench press
5x5 babrell rows
or this:
5x5 squats
5x5 overhead press
1x5 deadlifts
(alternating between the two of these)

So basically, I'm just dilligently following the stronglifts.com thingy...

As well as the occasional 5 km walk once or twice a week.

Sounds like a great workout! If you want to add soem cardio, I recommend the podcasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
I did this and it worked okay, but stretch it out if you need to. Don't be afraid to repeat some days if it doesn't work out. It's not really a race.

Good advice! Have you already completed this? Have you managed to keep up the same levels of fitness? That's my aim for when I complete it.

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 08-20-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #90
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:
Wow! What year are you currently going into?

yeah, & upper sixth in holy cross college. should be fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #91
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid-to-waste
yeah, & upper sixth in holy cross college. should be fun.

That's awesome. Good luck for the A2 year

I'm going to go for my next run tonight. Really dreading it for some reason, I think because it's so hot again today
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #92
rigiddigits
Robot

lol, I wore normal trainers for my run on Friday thinking the whole shin splints thing wouldn't happen to me and by Sunday I could hardly walk. Serves me right

Have to wait till payday now and get some proper running shoes.

After cardio, core body strength is my worst nightmare so might do online yoga classes for something to do in the meantime.

(_.·´¯) (¯`·._) (_.·´¯) 女の子 です (¯`·._) (_.·´¯) (¯`·._)
onnanoko desu
rigiddigits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #93
Kensai
49ers

Yeah if you're unused to running, and especially if you're going to run on asphalt I recommend getting good shoes.

I still haven't started this thing, but I'm wanting to start playing volleyball.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #94
Minkaro
UG Monkey

About to go for the first walk/run thing. The dates on these podcasts are weird. Week 1 has December 13, 2010 below it, but Week 2 has December 12, 2010.

WHAT KIND OF TIMELORD RECORDED THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE?

Edit: And I'm back. Few things I noticed:

1) I've lived here for almost all my life, and still after one of the runs I looked up and thought "where the hell am I?!"

2) Loads of cats round here. Must have passed 10 or 12 of them, all sitting on front lawns watching me go past, all of them with an expression that quite clearly said "prick."

3) I'm really pleased with how it went. I'm more sweat than man, but I don't feel overly exhausted. I was expecting to get halfway through the thing, and collapse in a heap.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter

Last edited by Minkaro : 08-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Minkaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #95
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigiddigits
lol, I wore normal trainers for my run on Friday thinking the whole shin splints thing wouldn't happen to me and by Sunday I could hardly walk. Serves me right

Have to wait till payday now and get some proper running shoes.

After cardio, core body strength is my worst nightmare so might do online yoga classes for something to do in the meantime.

I did the same thing! After 4 runs I am now going to have to get some proper running shoes. They have some ladies running shoes for £9.99 in sports direct - think I'm going to push the boat out and get those ones

Just done Week 2 run 1. For some reason I always torture myself - I run a loop and I can either go one way and run down a big hill and then very gradually up the rest of the way, or I can do it the other way around so I go up the big hill last. Whyyyy do I always choose to run up the massive hill at the end!?

Also Laura lies on week 2. She says it's your final run when it isn't yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro
About to go for the first walk/run thing. The dates on these podcasts are weird. Week 1 has December 13, 2010 below it, but Week 2 has December 12, 2010.

WHAT KIND OF TIMELORD RECORDED THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE?

Edit: And I'm back. Few things I noticed:

1) I've lived here for almost all my life, and still after one of the runs I looked up and thought "where the hell am I?!"

2) Loads of cats round here. Must have passed 10 or 12 of them, all sitting on front lawns watching me go past, all of them with an expression that quite clearly said "prick."

3) I'm really pleased with how it went. I'm more sweat than man, but I don't feel overly exhausted. I was expecting to get halfway through the thing, and collapse in a heap.

Yay! Congrats

1) yeah, that's the best thing about this I think. You get to see places you normally ignore/go straight past.

2) I never notice that. I'm doing this along with my dog (who is improving at the same rate as me, so cute) so she probably scares them all away. They probably watch me and think 'prick' from their hiding places

3) Hooray! What time of day did you run? I did all of week 1 in the day and was a sweaty horrible mess by the end but I literally just got back from this run, and because it was dark and cool I'm not quite so wrecked. Might help

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 08-20-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #96
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Good advice! Have you already completed this? Have you managed to keep up the same levels of fitness? That's my aim for when I complete it.

I did complete it, and I've slowly slumped out of the running spirit. In general now, I just do general fitness stuff before I go to sleep, and I've built some musculature. Running is great to keep the fat off and the musculature showing though.

I found that when I was done doing the program I felt like I had done what I'd set out to do and that's what made me stop. I also felt like I needed direction on where to go once I could run the five kilometers (running 5k's three times a week would feel easy after a few weeks).

In general though the program is great, it's really easy for someone who knows nothing about running to adjust to because it takes it so slow.

I hope that you do keep the same level of fitness, but it is easy to slump when you're finished the program feeling like you've done what you originally intended.

EDIT: Also if you haven't done so yet, be sure to stretch both before and after runs. It makes the healing process much more comfortable and your body is ready to run again sooner. There's a good page on the website with the program on it about stretching and has diagrams to show you some of the more beneficial ones.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,

Last edited by Bushinarin : 08-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #97
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

Quote:
That's awesome. Good luck for the A2 year

I'm going to go for my next run tonight. Really dreading it for some reason, I think because it's so hot again today

thankyoooou

experiment by changing your running style/clothes this time to keep it interesting and anticipating, might help
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #98
psyks
Pretty thief

I bought a pair of minimalist running shoes a couple of months ago (basically incredibly light with very little heel), which are supposed to encourage a midfoot strike, so you put weight on your calves not your heel. Long story I ran 2 miles on the balls of my feet thinking that was what you were supposed to do and couldn't walk for 2 days afterwards. (let your heel touch the ground)

Anyway, I ran my 6.4km this morning before breakfast. I didn't time myself, but I was probably around 34 minutes.

My Soundcloud
My music, paino, guitar and otherwise - Updated SOMETIMES

DeviantArt
Please watch, fave and comment
psyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #99
Minkaro
UG Monkey

Quote:
3) Hooray! What time of day did you run? I did all of week 1 in the day and was a sweaty horrible mess by the end but I literally just got back from this run, and because it was dark and cool I'm not quite so wrecked. Might help

6pm. I got quite lucky though, as there were a few nice breezes that helped.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter
Minkaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #100
metal4all
Always tripping

I skipped to week 3 this morning. It's great switching it up (running/walking). The last 3 minutes of running took forever. I can tell my lungs are getting better. (I smoke)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyks
I bought a pair of minimalist running shoes a couple of months ago (basically incredibly light with very little heel), which are supposed to encourage a midfoot strike, so you put weight on your calves not your heel. Long story I ran 2 miles on the balls of my feet thinking that was what you were supposed to do and couldn't walk for 2 days afterwards. (let your heel touch the ground)

Anyway, I ran my 6.4km this morning before breakfast. I didn't time myself, but I was probably around 34 minutes.
Nice.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: