Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Ozzytheaussie

Finding Lyrical Inspiration

I am falling into a trap of writing lots of music but very little lyrics.

I think the problem is lyrically my inspirations are fairly limited.

Where should I look for inspiration? Other than songs.

I like the gritty , 'non-sense' lyrics of Kurt Cobain and
the 'weirder' lyrics of AK from the RHCP.

Here's what my music style is like mostly

http://soundcloud.com/gonzonian/i-w...o-ivy-next-time
Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Green_Ghoul

honestly? just keep at it. I was basically in the same situation as you (still am....), what I've been doing lately is freewriting, and just keeping at it.

I've also been reading lately to expand my vocabulary and get ideas from novels and whatnot.

You'll find inspiration eventually, even if it comes in a form that you don't expect.

Hope I helped.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
symcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzytheaussie
Where should I look for inspiration? Other than songs.

Inspiration is wherever you want to find it.
symcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Siilver Poiison

If you dont try to find insparation, chances are that you'll find it. Just relax, take a few days away from songwriting. But buy, if you dont already have one, a little notebook that can fit in your pocket. Carry it with you all the time and write down any ideas whether its "something about thorns.." or more vauge like "traveling." Later, "traveling" could turn into "I'm gonna travel the world at midnight. I've got to get out and run." And THAT could turn into a song! See? Its simple enough.
Siilver Poiison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
OnceTheyWere

Hey, I find that this happens to me a lot when trying to write as well. Here's a couple of tips

1) Don't try so hard. In my experience, some of the best lyrics I've ever done were a product of not trying to come up with good lyrics.

2) Listen to what people say. Meaning, LITERALLY. If you pay attention throughout your regular everyday life, you'll find some pretty good lyrics hidden in snippets of conversation.

3) Watch something. There was a song I wrote that was entirely driven by one lyric that I took out of some dialogue of a sitcom. Try watching TV or some movies and see if you can find something usable there.

I hope some of these suggestions help you out! : D
OnceTheyWere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
P.Ric

Try just writing down how you feel and what your feeling in a journal or notepad. It may be a paragraph of sentences that don't rhyme, or the wording may not make sense initially, but it's helpful to be able to go back and relive that moment. THEN focus on structure and any word changes. For example; times that I'm feeling overwhelmed- I write down what's going through my head. I've written entire pages, and wound up getting rid of 2/3 of the content: But the 1/3 that's left I eventually rearranged and came up with some good lines for maybe 2 or more different songs. It all depends on what's on your mind, your mood, life events (Etc.)

Best of luck!
P.Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
losdawg503

I find it hard to sit down and figure out lyrics but when I write poetry on the days events,could be something tragic that happened that day or maybe something about my mommie that passed away,the material just tends to flow out. then its just figuring how I want to arrange it. but like others said,hang in there,it will come. godspeed,los
losdawg503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
KidCanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siilver Poiison
If you dont try to find insparation, chances are that you'll find it. Just relax, take a few days away from songwriting. But buy, if you dont already have one, a little notebook that can fit in your pocket. Carry it with you all the time and write down any ideas whether its "something about thorns.." or more vauge like "traveling." Later, "traveling" could turn into "I'm gonna travel the world at midnight. I've got to get out and run." And THAT could turn into a song! See? Its simple enough.

How would you expand upon that one line? I often can come up with one or two good lines, maybe an entirely good verse, or a generally good concept for a song but I have trouble expanding upon the initial idea.
KidCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
destinh413

Pay close attention to everything that happens around you. Inspiration comes in weird ways some times. You just have to recognize it when you see it.
destinh413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: