Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Jawes70x7

Best neck pickup to go with invader in the bridge?

Hello. I'm currently in the process of restoring an old guitar and I need advice on which pickup to put in the neck position. I'm wanting to go with an sd invader in the bridge because I play mostly punk/alt rock and I love how it handles distortion. For the neck I was wanting to get something with a warmer tone that will sound good clean. I really like the sound of the tex mex in my tele and I was wondering if there was a humbucker that came close to that tone? Or is it possible to put a single coil pickup in a slot made for a humbucker? The guitar I'm working on already has cut outs for 2 humbuckers. If it is possible is the a single coil that will come close to the output on the invader? Thanks for any and all advice.
Jawes70x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
roaddawg07

i Don't know about the out put but, you can put a p-90 will fit in a humbucker cut out
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
roaddawg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The easiest thing to do for proper single coil sound in a humbucker size is to get a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag and wire it in perminantly split. It uses separate magnets, like a Fender single coil, so it is Fender-style single coil when it's split. P-90s are regular split humbuckers don't do the same sound. They key to that Fender single coil tone is the magnet style, not the number of coils.

However, it won't match the Invader. The Invader is both ridiculously high output and ridiculously think; you're not going to get a single coil that matches it. The closest you can get is using the Stag Mag I mentioned above but keeping it wired as a humbucker. It'll have more output and more mids than a single coil, but keep the same note separation and style of response.

You could also try a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell. It's made to be extra-bright. It sounds a bit like a hum-cancelling P-90 with the treble turned up a notch. there's also the DM Bluesbucker, which is the same deal with a slightly warmer tone. Those are your best bets for something inbetween humbucker and single coil.

There's also the SD P-Rail, which will give you humbucker, P-90 single coil and rail single coil tones in one pickup, if you don't mind putting in a switch for it. The humbucker mode will balance with the Invader while the P-90 and rail modes give you a couple of single coil tones so you can keep that vibe. The lack of separate magnets means it won't sound as 'genuine' as the Stag Mag, though.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

If you want something with output similar to an Invader, you're going to need either a full-size humbucker, or a stacked humbucker. If you want to stick with Duncans, I would suggest the Jazz, '59 or Pearly Gates for the neck humbucker, or a Cool-Rails for a stacked humbucker.

As for Dimarzio, I'd look at the Evolution neck, Dactivator neck, or PAF-PRO for humbuckers, and the ProTrack or Norton-S for stacked humbuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
jetwash69

Ditto on the Jazz. Or get a Sustainiac. Got a Sustainiac opposite a real Invader in my mahogany Schecter, and a Jazz opposite a Duncan Design Detonator (Invader copy) in my Squier. The Jazz splits/taps (whichever is the correct term) well. And 2 buckers look a lot more punk.

The Sustainiac is available in either a single or a humbucker-looking config, but either way it only has one coil anyway. And either model can simulate a humbucker--or not--controled by a switch or a push-pull. Give Maniac Music a call at 317-340-1161 and they'll give you the full explanation. Best customer service I've found in the industry.

You can split/tap the Invader, too.

I like the D-Activators on my mahogany Ibanez, but I haven't tried them opposite an Invader.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
browns82jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Ditto on the Jazz. Or get a Sustainiac. Got a Sustainiac opposite a real Invader in my mahogany Schecter, and a Jazz opposite a Duncan Design Detonator (Invader copy) in my Squier. The Jazz splits/taps (whichever is the correct term) well. And 2 buckers look a lot more punk.

The Sustainiac is available in either a single or a humbucker-looking config, but either way it only has one coil anyway. And either model can simulate a humbucker--or not--controled by a switch or a push-pull. Give Maniac Music a call at 317-340-1161 and they'll give you the full explanation. Best customer service I've found in the industry.

You can split/tap the Invader, too.

I like the D-Activators on my mahogany Ibanez, but I haven't tried them opposite an Invader.

Where are the sustainiacs available? I'd love to get my hands on one but every website i search i just get results for the Syn Gates custom with it in it.
browns82jk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: