Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
zilant

Open D String breaking

So I have been trying to learn the song "hope" by Rush and when I tune my G string up to A it often snaps.
Is there a way I can alleviate the tension while still mainting a high tuning on that string?
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
The_RKM

What I suggest, is that when you restring your guitar, try having your G at a much lower tension that what'll you'll normally allow. By that I mean, when you string up your guitar and then you start tuning it, most people would string their guitar in a manner that when they tune that particular string to a "G", the string would be at a fairly high tension, so tuning above a "G" would make it highly susceptible to snapping. Instead, when stringing up your guitar, try and do so in a manner so that when you tune to a "G", your string should between moderately tense to a fairly high tension, so when you tune that string to a higher note, like an "A", then it should be able to do so without your string snapping. I have a spare guitar where all my strings are tuned a half a step above standard tuning, but it's strung up in a manner where the strings have the same sort of tension as a guitar that's in standard tuning, just so I'm able to play songs that are in weird tunings.
The_RKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
tom183

Is it snapping at the same place everytime?

Also, your thread title doesn't match your thread.
tom183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
zilant

@The_RKM: I thought I understood at first but not so much now. I don't really know what you mean. DO youwant me to just tune a half step down and then tune up from there?

@tom183: It appears as though it breaks closer to the headstock.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
alex0160

Do you stretch your strings as you put them on?
alex0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
Captaincranky

First you say, "your D string breaks", in the title, and then you proceed to complain that it's the G string. For some, that could be off putting.

In general, thinner strings will tune up higher than thicker ones. So basically, you need to consider getting a thinner gauge G string.

Since nobody has been clued in as to what type of, and what thickness of G string is breaking on you, the only counsel that could be given is "get a thinner one".

If you're going to use non standard tunings on your guitar(s), you should investigate assembling your own custom string sets, to suit the pitches you need to achieve.

As a general rule thinner strings tune higher with less tension than thick ones.

For example, players that use very low dropped tunings, have to get thicker strings to maintain playable tensions. Your situation reverses this.

As an example, someone who wishes to tune their e-1 string to a G note, would likely need to put an .009 or even .008 e-1 on their guitar, because a standard .011 or .012 e-1 string will almost certainly break before it reaches that pitch.

You can go to D'Addario's website: http://www.daddario.com/DaddarioHome.Page?ActiveID=1740 select the general type of strings you're using. Let's say "phosphor bronze acoustic", and on that product line page, you'll see a button that says, "family tension chart". When you click on it, it will tell you the exact amount of tension required to bring every string in that family up to standard pitch, and by extension, the diameter of every string in the family, plus whether it's wound or plain.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
zilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
First you say, "your D string breaks", in the title, and then you proceed to complain that it's the G string. For some, that could be off putting.

In general, thinner strings will tune up higher than thicker ones. So basically, you need to consider getting a thinner gauge G string.

Since nobody has been clued in as to what type of, and what thickness of G string is breaking on you, the only counsel that could be given is "get a thinner one".

If you're going to use non standard tunings on your guitar(s), you should investigate assembling your own custom string sets, to suit the pitches you need to achieve.

As a general rule thinner strings tune higher with less tension than thick ones.

For example, players that use very low dropped tunings, have to get thicker strings to maintain playable tensions. Your situation reverses this.

As an example, someone who wishes to tune their e-1 string to a G note, would likely need to put an .009 or even .008 e-1 on their guitar, because a standard .011 or .012 e-1 string will almost certainly break before it reaches that pitch.

You can go to D'Addario's website: http://www.daddario.com/DaddarioHome.Page?ActiveID=1740 select the general type of strings you're using. Let's say "phosphor bronze acoustic", and on that product line page, you'll see a button that says, "family tension chart". When you click on it, it will tell you the exact amount of tension required to bring every string in that family up to standard pitch, and by extension, the diameter of every string in the family, plus whether it's wound or plain.

I understand the title was not very clear.
I meant to convey that I am trying to tune my guitar to open D (DADAAD) and was having a problem with one of the strings breaking.
Now that I read it I see I'm not very close to that..

Anyway, your post helped a bit. I put on a lighter gauge and it hasn't broken so far. I'll have to wait and see after a few days to make sure but all seems well.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Dan477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky

Actually a .012 string can reach G without snapping, though I would advise against it since it would not be good for the neck in the long run. I'd would definitely go with .009 or .010. .008 works too. I've also tuned a .016 b string close to G. Strings can tune higher than we think.
Dan477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist

Tune your "G" to a "F#" and tune everything else the same as you have. THAT is open "D". It chords the same as open "G" and all you have to do is move up a string. Who told you it was "DADAAD"? That's not open "D". "DADF#AD" is open "D". It's just an open "E" tuned down a full step. There's no string breakage and the guitars sounds really nice.
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)
mymartind35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist

I've played open tunings for years. If the song is in open"E" tune to open "D" the way I told you and capo to the 2nd fret. No strings breaking there either. I don't think you'll have any more problems. Best of luck.
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)
mymartind35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: