Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #61
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

And here we are, a jury in the United States, saying that Samsung plagiarized their designs, while Germany favoured Samsung, South Korea favoured Samsung, the Netherlands favoured Samsung, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the countries that matter favoured Samsung as well in their judgement.

Way to go USA !
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #62
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Thank you Hermione.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #63
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I'm kind of peeved at the news. Samsung is so much better than Apple.

I look forward to Samsung introducing their new oblong-shaped phones.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #64
Philip_pepper
UG's Kanye West

Apple can kiss my hairy ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Love you too Philip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.

We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #65
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
And on top of that, the hearing took place in San Jose, which is all of a 14 minute drive from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino. Not exactly a neutral location.

They should have the next one in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #66
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
In British English, a billion is equivalent to a million million, while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million, so a British billion is far bigger than an American Billion.

That said, British English has now adopted the American figure as a legal definition, so the number would have the same definition, but, £1 currently equals US $ 1.5805, roughly one and a half dollars, so a British '1 billion pounds' is currently worth more that an American '1 billion dollars', by roughly half again.

Really??

Thanks for clearing that up.. I definitely remember learning in school that a billion is a million million, yet every time I look at something that is supposed to be a billion I think there are loads of 0s missing. I never said anything in case anyone thought I was an idiot.

Surely the word is like bi-million, how do you get a thousand million from that?
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #67
devourke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist
Really??

Thanks for clearing that up.. I definitely remember learning in school that a billion is a million million, yet every time I look at something that is supposed to be a billion I think there are loads of 0s missing. I never said anything in case anyone thought I was an idiot.

Surely the word is like bi-million, how do you get a thousand million from that?

if anything i would get 2 million from that.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #68
Assid Rane
negro plz

I think now that smartphones are phasing out mp3 players, Apple is seeing the iPod's sales drop, so they made this move to ensure a large market share.
But, I think tablets are just a phase anyway, so, I'll only be upset if this will hurt Samsung as a whole
EDIT: Wait...this lawsuit wasn't over tablets? Guess I should read more.
Whatever. **** Apple
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #69
Antis0cial
UG Fanatic

What annoys me most about this is that whenever Apple gets sued for patent breach( I know it's not exactly the same as copying intellectual property but still).

The company just always brings forth the FRAND argument of Nokia, Microsoft, Samsung or whatever company is misusing their patents. And they get away with it, or have to settle for a very very small price.

That company is absolute immoral filth.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Antis0cial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #70
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

so the double tap is an apple feature?

hasn't the double click been around for a while?

Also, hasn't the overscroll thing pretty much been a standard feature of browsers for a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #71
jrcsgtpeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb4rabid
This is like Mcd suing Burger King on the basis that the whopper is too similar to a quarter pounder. That's how I see this. It is difficult to configure an already simplistic design into something different. In essence, most touch screen phones revolve around a basic black slate design with very minor changes in button layouts.

then why do some cost more and others dont? i think this isnt based on looks, rather the actual technology involved. otherwise this case is stupid, all brands would sue eachother if baseball bats and tennis shoes all had a similar idea. you dont need to make abstract shapes for a phone to be a phone company. i feel like the technology was stolen.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #72
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
then why do some cost more and others dont? i think this isnt based on looks, rather the actual technology involved. otherwise this case is stupid, all brands would sue eachother if baseball bats and tennis shoes all had a similar idea. you dont need to make abstract shapes for a phone to be a phone company. i feel like the technology was stolen.

the technology for the phones are similar in that they all have a processor, ram, gps units, transmitters and receivers etc. And to be fair, some phones do use the same parts as competitors but they're bought from 3rd parties. Samsung makes the iphone's screens IIRC.

This case really is about how similar they look and feel.

Some cost more than others because there are cheaper parts to be used and they can be assembled in plants with lower QC for less money etc. But there's also the issue of brand power and marketing.

Quote:
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.

Last edited by Lemoninfluence : 08-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #73
Ikey
œ∆∑˚¥&#8

to be fair they did have those documents from samsung which was diagrams of iphones and what they should copy written in red pen.
not saying that apple doesnt do that too, but samsung should have hid it better.

hope they do something good with the money though, like help out the families of the people who killed themselves in the apple factory in china. that would be good.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #74
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikey
to be fair they did have those documents from samsung which was diagrams of iphones and what they should copy written in red pen.
not saying that apple doesnt do that too, but samsung should have hid it better.

hope they do something good with the money though, like help out the families of the people who killed themselves in the apple factory in china. that would be good.

No, they'll just convert a corner of every Apple store into a Steve Jobs shrine. That will use iconography suspiciously similar to that of another branded religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #75
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Yay Apple!!!
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #76
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Doku
And here we are, a jury in the United States, saying that Samsung plagiarized their designs, while Germany favoured Samsung, South Korea favoured Samsung, the Netherlands favoured Samsung, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the countries that matter favoured Samsung as well in their judgement.

Way to go USA !

Nope, they have about equal victories and defeats. Keeping in mind that Samsung has also sued preemptively in some markets, most countries have dismissed both sides.

Anyways, Samsung is pretty great with hardware but still a piece of shit when it comes to software, devaluing their devices. They will always be inferior in that sense.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #77
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Nope, they have about equal victories and defeats. Keeping in mind that Samsung has also sued preemptively in some markets, most countries have dismissed both sides.

Anyways, Samsung is pretty great with hardware but still a piece of shit when it comes to software, devaluing their devices. They will always be inferior in that sense.

Samsung's own software is pretty meh, the things they add like touchwiz, but they use Android OS, which is far superior to Apple OS which makes up for it.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #78
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi

that's true, but it's easy enough to change the software.

unless you're talking about drivers etc.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #79
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Wait, doesn't samsung supply apple with touchscreens and shit?
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #80
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
they use Android OS, which is far superior to Apple OS which makes up for it.

Nope. Sorry, Android sucks. Shitty app market and glaring security flaws and Flash and shitty program management/background management. It also highlights the disadvantages of open systems when you chart how fragmented the market is based on which version of Android individual devices are using.

But at the end of the day it all depends on what the user wants. To say either is "far superior" is just laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
Wait, doesn't samsung supply apple with touchscreens and shit?

Yes. Samsung is a major back-end hardware manufacturer for many companies.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-25-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: