Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #81
NotaHamsterBro
Banned

So why wasn't apple sued when they first made the ipod? Nothing about their products were original....
NotaHamsterBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #82
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaHamsterBro
So why wasn't apple sued when they first made the ipod? Nothing about their products were original....

Because no one got it right before them? There's being original, then there's being compelling.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #83
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
Wait, doesn't samsung supply apple with touchscreens and shit?

They supply them with various things ,yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Nope. Sorry, Android sucks. Shitty app market and glaring security flaws and Flash and shitty program management/background management. It also highlights the disadvantages of open systems when you chart how fragmented the market is based on which version of Android individual devices are using.

Common misconceptions, none which are true or applicable in the real world.

Apple is pretty much a dumbed down version of a Smartphone OS. You can't do shit, they won't let you do shit, you don't have widgets, you just have the soulless app screens and icons. You can't customize anything, that's what Apple wants because the users are the kind of people who breaks everything if they do. Same reason why some prefer Apple OS over windows: Some people need the training wheels on.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #84
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai

I've had an HTC before, that's all based on real time use. Flash is not a "misconception". It's touted as an advantage when in reality it really is a shitty plugin for mobile devices. Adobe's own decision to finally phase out flash in Android just goes to show that it in fact doesn't work.

Quote:
Apple is pretty much a dumbed down version of a Smartphone OS. You can't do shit, they won't let you do shit, you don't have widgets, you just have the soulless app screens and icons. You can't customize anything, that's what Apple wants because the users are the kind of people who breaks everything if they do. Same reason why some prefer Apple OS over windows: Some people need the training wheels on.

I like how you assume customization is automatically a good thing. Guess what, not everyone, even "geeks", give a shit or have the time to change the theme of the week. Apparently even many in the high tech industries love having training wheels on.

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #85
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
They supply them with various things ,yes.

So then how does this billion dollar settlement affect that relationship between apple and samsung?

Sorry if sound a bit stoopeed but I'm as dumb as a door when it comes to this kind of stuff.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #86
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
I like how you assume customization is automatically a good thing. Guess what, not everyone, even "geeks", give a shit or have the time to change the theme of the week. Apparently even many in the high tech industries love having training wheels on.

I'd rather have the ability to customize and not use it, than not have it at all. That's why it's a good thing. And I don't mean just the superificial things like "themes" which are apple fans #1 concern apparently.

But hey, whatever you need to say to justify your $100000+ purchase

Quote:
So then how does this billion dollar settlement affect that relationship between apple and samsung?

Sorry if sound a bit stoopeed but I'm as dumb as a door when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I don't really know, I think it's pretty strange. But both of them depend on eachother
Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #87
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
I'd rather have the ability to customize and not use it, than not have it at all. That's why it's a good thing.

Yes, YOU would. Many people don't to that extent. The fact that you don't see that just shows how little you know about tech and tech design.

Quote:

Probably nothing. The back-end hardware manufacturing division is almost a separate entity.

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #88
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Yes, YOU would. Many people don't to that extent. The fact that you don't see that just shows how little you know about tech and tech design.

Yeah alright buddy, I'm the only one who needs the ability to be able to change things if needed. Let's say that. That's how the innovative tech industry works: Only few people need to have an open-ended approach in tech and tech design which focuses on change and innovation
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #89
Assid Rane
negro plz

Quote:

Probably nothing. The back-end hardware manufacturing division is almost a separate entity.

Many people DO care about customization, that's why you see cars looking like shit due to excessive bumper stickers, shitty profile themes when Myspace was a thing, and millions of idiots downloading malware because it offers them Facebook themes and screensavers and other crap
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #90
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:

TBH, that's more a marketing issue than a design issue.
I'd certainly argue that having customisability built in is a good thing from the developer's perspective, too, since it means you're building the tools to adapt and reuse software in from the very start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #91
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Yeah alright buddy, I'm the only one who needs the ability to be able to change things if needed. Let's say that. That's how the innovative tech industry works: Only few people need to have an open-ended approach in tech and tech design which focuses on change and innovation

So you're equating open systems with change and innovation? I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assid Rane
Many people DO care about customization, that's why you see cars looking like shit due to excessive bumper stickers, shitty profile themes when Myspace was a thing, and millions of idiots downloading malware because it offers them Facebook themes and screensavers and other crap

Exactly. Is Facebook customizable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
TBH, that's more a marketing issue than a design issue.
I'd certainly argue that having customisability built in is a good thing from the developer's perspective, too, since it means you're building the tools to adapt and reuse software in from the very start.

That has nothing to do with the front end of customization. The openness of the Android market also means no standard of quality or security in place.

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-25-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #92
Assid Rane
negro plz

Quote:
So you're equating open systems with change and innovation? I feel sorry for you.

No, but in case you didn't notice, I specifically said millions of people TRY to customize it. Yeesh.
Also, if people don't care about customization, then why do phone cases sell by the millions? Or ringtones? Why is almost everyone's desktop background different?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #93
Kensai
49ers

Quote:

Conincidentally I'm transcribing interviews from various high-up bosses in Sweden and other places talking about innovation, and this comes up quite often. The fewer restraints, the more innovation. That should be obvious.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the front end of customization. The openness of the Android market also means no standard of quality or security in place.

I think Apple fans imagine google market as some mine field with everyother app being malware. It's obviously not the case...
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #94
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assid Rane
No, but in case you didn't notice, I specifically said millions of people TRY to customize it. Yeesh.
Yes, I was trying to lead you to the logical conclusion: Because so many people aren't equipped to make sensible customizations (like the shitty MySpace pages), a company like Facebook saw the benefit of having a closed system.

Quote:
Also, if people don't care about customization, then why do phone cases sell by the millions? Or ringtones? Why is almost everyone's desktop background different?

That's not the kind of customization we're talking about here. Android is essentially easier to jailbreak. That's not mere changing the OS settings, which would be exactly the same on either OS.

My New Workstation
Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #95
NotaHamsterBro
Banned

Someone is mad they spent hundreds on an iphone and can't do shit on it
NotaHamsterBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #96
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Conincidentally I'm transcribing interviews from various high-up bosses in Sweden and other places talking about innovation, and this comes up quite often. The fewer restraints, the more innovation. That should be obvious.
Because Microsoft is doing so well right?

Quote:
I think Apple fans imagine google market as some mine field with everyother app being malware. It's obviously not the case...

It's not, but there's not an effective filtering system with many negative implications. Try to not oversimplify everything such as "training wheels."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaHamsterBro
Someone is mad they spent hundreds on an iphone and can't do shit on it

I have a Samsung

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-25-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #97
Assid Rane
negro plz

Quote:

BTW, it's insanely easy to secure a smartphone
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #98
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Because Microsoft is doing so well right?

They are, but if you're comparing market value then you are seriously oversimplyfying things. Just because something sells well doesn't mean it's superior. Jack Daniel's for example is the most sold "whiskey" in the world, but I wouldn't drink that over 18-year-old highland park. There are more factors than that.

Seems you missed my point about open-ended work environments... I don't see how closing the possibilities can ever be a good thing...

Quote:
It's not, but there's not an effective filtering system with many negative implications. Try to not oversimplify everything such as "training wheels."

I don't even know what filter they are using, I just have never had or heard of anyone with the problems of malware apps.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #99
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
They are, but if you're comparing market value then you are seriously oversimplyfying things. Just because something sells well doesn't mean it's superior. Jack Daniel's for example is the most sold "whiskey" in the world, but I wouldn't drink that over 18-year-old highland park. There are more factors than that.

Seems you missed my point about open-ended work environments... I don't see how closing the possibilities can ever be a good thing...

I don't even know what filter they are using, I just have never had or heard of anyone with the problems of malware apps.

Kensai, look at it this way.
We could automate cars for all the ******s and drunk-drivers out there, because it would make them safer overall; but still have human-controlled F1 cars for the cool kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #100
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Seems like you don't know how "innovation" works. It has nothing to do with front end open-endedness.

Quote:

http://techland.time.com/2011/12/02...mobile-malware/

My New Workstation

Rate This Thread: