Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
langston7

Harder than I thought!

Just got myself a cheap electric guitar (I know cheaps not good but hey!).

Have to say I was a bit naive and thought it would be much easier!

I watched the instructional DVD that came with my pack and have just got a few tabs (although they seem to take me for ever, even Blink 182 Dammit! LOL).

Is finding easy tabs and trying to learn them the best way or should I be starting else where (chords etC?)

Thanks
langston7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Laughingravy

Never played electric guitar, don't use tabs either.....lol......learning chords and building up the callouses is where i started....
Laughingravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Skytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingravy
learning chords and building up the callouses is where i started....

This is the best place to start!

Find songs on the "Top 100" that you know and learn them. Learning songs you know is probably the best tool because you know how they're supposed to sound. It's best to start out with easy songs that you can use open chords for. After you get that down, learn bar(barre) chords and play songs with those.

In 1 year I bet you'll be playing at an advanced intermediate level!

This site is your best friend for learning guitar!!!
Skytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
if tabs are hard for you (i hate them, no rhythm in tabs, etc) try using guitar pro.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
silingna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytard
This is the best place to start!

Find songs on the "Top 100" that you know and learn them. Learning songs you know is probably the best tool because you know how they're supposed to sound. It's best to start out with easy songs that you can use open chords for. After you get that down, learn bar(barre) chords and play songs with those.

In 1 year I bet you'll be playing at an advanced intermediate level!

This site is your best friend for learning guitar!!!
[IMG]*********************************/qin.jpg[/IMG]
silingna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Daynaoa

I taught myself by learning simple chord songs and have built my skills from there.

if you'd like any examples/songs I began with...let me know, and I'll pass them on
Daynaoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
arthur_s

You can play your favorite songs and enjoy them, but if you ever wanted to play something your own or creative ideas, then you'll be forced to go back and learn guitar basics, because how can you drive a car if you don't know where the brake is?

I suggest you to start with the basics. Check youtube and find your basics there
arthur_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
JayCartay

Please, please get some proper tuition. I started like you. I bought a cheap guitar, I went to a big communal class for a few lessons to get me started. I bought myself a Green Day Dookie tab book and went from there.

Now here I am, about ten years later and 4 months into taking proper tuition because my guitar playing just never got any further than power chords and the odd easy riff from a tab book. I've gone through phases over the years of just not playing for months at a time as my poor skills really frustrated me. Now I'm 30 and regretting not doing lessons properly, ten years ago. I'd have played in bands by now and had a great time.

Don't rob yourself of awesome hobby by cutting corners. I can tell you from experience it doesn't work.
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: