Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
narinderkapur

Question Which pickups?

I just got a new Squier Jagmaster, and while I love the guitar, I'm going to be getting it modified (eventually), starting with the pickups.

Therefore, which pickups should I get? I'll be saving for these, so while it will take a little while to get them, I intend to decide now. But I know nothing about different brands, so any and all suggestions will be extremely helpful. I intend to start research with the replies I get on this post.

I mainly play punk and blues, though I'm starting to get into garage rock as well. But I've only been learning and playing for a year, so I'm open to experimenting quite a bit.

Humbuckers, preferably, even though I know single coils work a lot in all three genres I mentioned above.

Thanks, and cheers!
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
head-case

I think you should go for P-90s!
head-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
TheShredifi

Obviously EMGs.... jk. the new gibson pro buckers aren't bad. I play similar genres as you do (from Albert King - UK Subs) and i try to vear from P-90s. I personally don't like how they're a hybrid between humbucker and single coil. I'm either thinking Dimarzio Injectors (single coils), Dimarzio X2N or Dimarzio Tone Zones. The injectors have a very strong output giving it some humbucker qualities but still a bright single coil. The X2N have a smooth mid and bass output so they can be great for blues. Lastly the Tone Zone has a great crunch with distortion. Noodles from The Offspring has been using the Tone Zones for years. Hope this helps!
MXR Noise Clamp
ZW44 Jim Dunlop Wah
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Flickinger Angry Sparrow Fuzz
MXR Stereo Chorus
Voodoo Lab Tremolo
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100 Head
TheShredifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

First off, what amp are you using?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
narinderkapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
First off, what amp are you using?

It's a Vox Mini3 modeling amp.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Before you go spending a bunch of money on pickups, save up for a new amp. It'll do MUCH more to improve your tone than swapping your pickups will.

Swapping pickups is like going from a V6 Ford Mustang to a V8 Ford Mustang. There's certainly a difference, and it improves performance.

Swapping amps is like going from a V6 Ford Mustang to a W16 Bugatti Veyron. You're going to wonder why you ever even considered the Mustang.

Not to mention, after you've been playing for a while, you'll want to upgrade your entire guitar anyway. You can always still drop new pickups in that one later, even if you decide that's the guitar you want to play forever. A new amp is going to do you much more justice, though.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
narinderkapur

@Blktiger0 I know, I thought about the same thing. But the thing is that the 'Duncan Designed' pickups on my guitar are quite weak, except when on the bridge position. But yes, I see your point. I guess I'm going to have to start an entirely new thought process now.

Thank you, but!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
AgentOrange...
Unregistered User

To be honest, your gonna notice a pretty negligible difference changing pickups whilst using that amp. Been there done it. I changed the pickups on my first guitar and through the little practice amp I was using, there was pretty much no difference. I was very disappointed and wasted a fair amount of money. I would say save up for a new amp, when you've got a decent valve amp and a fairly nice guitar, changing pickups becomes a genuinely viable investment.
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
AgentOrange... is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: