Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
adi166

USB Guitar Amp for Travel

Hi,

Recently started playing guitar again. I have a normal electric guitar, nothing special.
I am currently traveling away from home, I have the guitar with me and I'm searching for a USB amplifier that will play the sound of the guitar straight out of my laptop speakers.

I want the computer to be the amplifier and the speaker at the same time. I don't want to have to buy a separate speaker.

Back home I have a Behringer Guitar Link USB but with that one the sound comes out of a separate jack, I got it to work with my desktop PC but was surprised that the sound had to come back out of the Behringer and back into my sound card.

I have a MacBook Pro, dual boot with Windows.

Could anyone please suggest any options? I was hoping for something around 100USD

Regards,
A
adi166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Death_To_Emo
UG's Most Unknown

You could get an audio interface and play through garageband. I have a Lexicon Alpha interface that does the job.
Death_To_Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

What you want is an audio interface + software. Peavey ReValver can be used for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi166
Hi,

Recently started playing guitar again. I have a normal electric guitar, nothing special.
I am currently traveling away from home, I have the guitar with me and I'm searching for a USB amplifier that will play the sound of the guitar straight out of my laptop speakers.

I want the computer to be the amplifier and the speaker at the same time. I don't want to have to buy a separate speaker.

Back home I have a Behringer Guitar Link USB but with that one the sound comes out of a separate jack, I got it to work with my desktop PC but was surprised that the sound had to come back out of the Behringer and back into my sound card.

I have a MacBook Pro, dual boot with Windows.

Could anyone please suggest any options? I was hoping for something around 100USD

Regards,
A

depending on what year of macbook pro you have, some have two 1/8" jacks (one for mic input and one for speaker output), but the newer macbook pros only have one jack (it can be changed for input or output in the "Sound" properties).

you can use a simple converter and plug straight into the 1/8" jack, you can use either:
A) 1/8" male TRS to 1/4" female TS (using a guitar patchcord)
B) 1/4" male TS to 1/8" female TRS (using a ipod-style patch cord)

'B' is my favored option. i did this quite a bit on the road and it's a great economical way to play out your computer.

i have also used 'audio interfaces' like the presonus firebox, but it has more than you really need.

i have recently moved toward a sonuus I2M interface. very simple, can fit on a keyring and also have monophonic audio to midi capabilities.

i have tried the lexicon products, and they are an introductory product. you will struggle with the subpar preamps and analog digital conversion, but it should be good enough for just playing a little guitar through you computer.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
adi166

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyway I have the Sonuus I2M now but I am unable to get the lag down below 500ms-1s in Cantabile 2.0 Lite and the ASIO4ALL driver. I don't have a VST plugin loaded at the moment.

On the main menu of Cantabile Lite I have the MIDI In set to 'i2m' and 'Omni'. 'Send to' is 'Output, Microsoft FS Wavetable Synth'.

In Audio Engine Options I have the audio driver as ASIO and sample rate at 512 which should give a low latency.

I am still using my Macbook Pro with Win7 Pro running on bootcamp.

Is there an easy way to set this up? What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyway I have the Sonuus I2M now but I am unable to get the lag down below 500ms-1s in Cantabile 2.0 Lite and the ASIO4ALL driver. I don't have a VST plugin loaded at the moment.

when you say lag, are you using it in the standard guitar/interface mode, or are you doing a bunch of midi stuff?

Quote:
On the main menu of Cantabile Lite I have the MIDI In set to 'i2m' and 'Omni'. 'Send to' is 'Output, Microsoft FS Wavetable Synth'.

In Audio Engine Options I have the audio driver as ASIO and sample rate at 512 which should give a low latency.

I am still using my Macbook Pro with Win7 Pro running on bootcamp.

sounds like you did DL the I2M software.

unfortunately, i use OSX and i don't have any experience with the software you mention, but your numbers sound about right.

Quote:
Is there an easy way to set this up? What am I doing wrong?

to be honest, when i first got mine, i plugged it right into my computer without even DL it's software. worked right out the box, i literally did nothing but open garageband/Logic and switch the input over the I2M.

i just plugged mine in, ran it through it's paces, and checked out the software to see if there is any setting that might help. mine is working top notch, no real lag to note.

i will mention, when using midi mode it is best to run the guitar on the neck pup (this helps it track the fundamental/1st harmonic better) and to use higher notes (it takes it longer to track low notes). if you want low notes for midi, just transpose everything down and play higher notes on the instrument.

-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 09-06-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

If you only want something for traveling, why not an amplug? I believe Vox and Joyo make them. They are a pretty convenient solution, if you aren't opposed to wearing headphones.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
adi166

Thanks for the help guys.

I fixed the latency problem. Turns out that the ASIO driver for the i2m has the output disabled by default. Need to go into the audio control panel in your software and configure the ASIO i2M driver to 'use chained output' device as the default setting is for it to act as input only. So make sure to download all of the i2m software and drivers from the Sonuus website and use those.

Now just have to fix the noise issues (lots of crackling going on when a note is played) but there is no clipping showing up on the i2M window. I'll leave that for tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.

I fixed the latency problem. Turns out that the ASIO driver for the i2m has the output disabled by default. Need to go into the audio control panel in your software and configure the ASIO i2M driver to 'use chained output' device as the default setting is for it to act as input only. So make sure to download all of the i2m software and drivers from the Sonuus website and use those.

Now just have to fix the noise issues (lots of crackling going on when a note is played) but there is no clipping showing up on the i2M window. I'll leave that for tomorrow.

could be you need to bump up the buffer again. i think when the buffer is too low it can cause what you're talking about.

-ae

Rate This Thread: