Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
aaron aardvark

2 new songs to review (Will C4C, I promise!) New as of Aug. 26th!!

I just put 2 new electronic songs in my music website: "Arab Spies in Spain"* is the song on top, and "Starting With Michelle" is the next song down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review my music, I will review yours. I promise! Here is my link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436

*This instrumental song has nothing to do with politics, religion, or ideology. I just thought it sounds part Arab and part Spanish, and could perhaps be in a spy movie. In fact I'm currently running this song past a young German film maker (I know it is a long shot, but you never know!).
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
threestarmask

Hey bro

I've listened to both songs and I have to say that when I close my eyes, I can picture these songs can make cool background music for movies, especially in a spy one.

I have nothing negative to say here, I find everything nice and on track.
threestarmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
tsoun-net

Thanks for your comment.

Very original song, though it's not really the kind of music I usually listen to, so I can't help you on this one. But as threestarmask said, it could make a good music for a film.
tsoun-net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
crushingmetal

Thanks for the review
Arab Spies: Interesting track, sounds like it could be on a James Bond movie, I think maybe the cymbals should be a bit quieter, but apart from that I think it's a well constructed song.

Starting with Michelle: Cool intro, very atmospheric, you certainly have a unique sound, this sounds a bit like Mastodon covering an early Pink Floyd song. You combine lots of different sounds well.
crushingmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
inkybutt
amp feedback lover

so I have to say arab spies is like james bond in the 80s. it sounds amazing. I really love the synth that starts it. I think of all the sounds in that song that is probably the one sound that makes the song. I'm really interested into how you made that sound.
inkybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
shunks
Super Saiyan

Well this is pretty interesting. I listened to the two tracks and I don't know what to tell you besides the fact that I like them haha. They could easily fit the background to a movie as everybody has been saying. I find it kinda cool that you can make music like this, I could never do something like this. I'm very impressed
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
pacdude95
A True Djentleman

The song is pretty good man, I listened to 2, arab spies in is my favourite.
I really like the swell synths and the use if real drums
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Tomamo5

Arab Spies is cool. The arrangements are good and the melodies are there. It's interesting, but I reckon you could do a lot more with it. Mess around with plugins and weirder effects and go a bit more off-the-wall.

I love the vocals on Michelle. The instrumental is good too. Same really with the first song, I feel like the instrumentation could be a little bit more mad and less of the staple synth sounds.
Tomamo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
James_Het_Rules
UG Fanatic

Arab Spies is pretty damn catchy. Love the intro, and the swelling low effect in the background. The lead around :30 fit very well, and reminds me alot of 80's action movie music. Which, is totally awesome. Like something that could fit in the original Terminator movie. The orchestral drums in the back were a great addition as opposed to a traditional drumset. Not alot to say about it other than it was an awesome little song that I think would fit great into a movie. You should look into that!

Soundcloud
Soundclick
All albums available HERE free of charge. Over 3 hours of metal!

James_Het_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

Thanks for the crit man, sorry about the delay in reply but better late than never! I liked your songs, and as always they've left me feeling slightly insane. I think I preferred the second one just because I liked the vocals. The spies in spain one could do with some sort of hook, I only listened to it a few minutes ago and I'm already struggling to remember what it sounded like as a result. Other than that I can't really offer much advice :/

Ps It was a real drummer things sound a lot tighter with the bassline though (which will be added asap!)
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

And it appears everyone else disagrees with me on this one!
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Brassx

First off, Great stuff man, Really enjoyed listening to it. I really like Starting with Michelle, Specially at around 1:25, It just sounds so good to me haha, Although I'm not as fond of all the effects on the vocals, But it kind of fits the song really. But maybe back some of the effects off a bit? Just my opinion.

Now The Arab spies one was really good too, Although I keep picturing it fitting perfectly for an action game haha, Just seems like it would fit perfect. I can't think of anything to improve this haha, It seems good to me as is.
Brassx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Kerdmann5
Kenny Erdmann

Once again thanks for the critique on my song, I really appreciate it!

Arab Spies In Spain:

I really like this, the only thing I would say about this is the fuzzy sounding synth that's panning from ear to ear, it get's a little distracting, that's about it. The melody you have playing is really simple but compliments the rest of the composition really well, Overall 7/10

Starting with Michelle:

I like this one a lot better. The chord progression is very dramatic. The chimes are very tasteful and fit really well. The synth line is really catchy. You won me over once the drum beat kicked in with the electric guitar, as simple as it is, it fits so well. Your vocals are very "Crazy Train-esque" and I like it, it's a really catchy song. It almost sounds like two different songs but it works. Overall, 9/10
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Digitech RP350
Fender 212R
Line 6 Toneport UX2

Kerdmann5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
aaron aardvark

threestarmask, tsoun-net, crushingmetal, inkybutt, shunks, pacdude95, Tomamo5, James_Het_Rules, weorge, Brassx, Kerdmann5,

Thank you for the reviews, I appreciate it! "Arab Spies in Spain" is all Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas synth module (except for some extra Roland VS8F-1 effects like reverb, maybe some delay). The intro synth sound on "Arab Spies in Spain" utilizes the random panning effect on the SC-55 Sound Canvas.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Poisonouspot

great job man, sorry for the late reply
I liked Araba Spices in Spain, the intro synth bass riff is really cool, I love the whole idea of each instrument being added, what synth software to you use?
When the drums come in it gets so much more intense, I love it!
the only complaint i have is that pretty much after the drums enter the song stays the same,
I really enjoyed it man and again sorry for my late reply
Poisonouspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
aaron aardvark

Poisonouspot,
Thank you for your comments! No computer synth software was used: "Arab Spies in Spain" is all Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas synth module (except for some extra Roland VS8F-1 effects like reverb, maybe some delay).
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
lazyrebellion

Arab spies in spain is sound really cool to me, suits the name well, and its got a nice catchy riff with it
overall i think there may be a bit much high end, especially on the cymbals - there a bit tinny to my ears overall the drums could sound nice, if it was me i would probably have a far bigger, longer and deeper tom sound.
I am loving the really bassy synth sound near the start. it ends well too

Starting with michelle I'm liking this quite a bit, the drums suit it really well, which I've seen alot of people get wrong with something that starts with the kind of sound you have
It builds really well too, and I like the effect on the vocals, maybe a small amount less would be better though.
I like the ending again, but maybe would have preferred it if it went for longer!

Overall pretty cool man, I like it
lazyrebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
TechIndustrial

Spies in Spain definitely sounds like a track that would fit a movie or a similar media, as the structure doesn't really go anywhere but for those said media's it works well. As for it just being a song on its own, personally I would have structured it to climax towards the end, but that's just me and my love for climatic post rock.

Starting with Michelle is my favorite of the two tracks, however if it is possible I would really recommend recording actual guitars for the guitar parts rather than using a midi, it would sound much more organic. I especially like the vocals in this track though, really digging the drawn out/bent notes in the melodies.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #19
awesomo41894

Arab spies in spain is pretty cool. I love the mood of the song. Very atmospheric. It seems a bit redundant after awhile, but it still stays pretty interesting throughout.

Starting with Michelle is much cooler. I LOVE the composition on this track, I love the piano in the intro. I LOVE the composition on this song. Simply amazing. Great job man! From all the songs Ive heard by u, This song, and imposter, are my 2 favorites. I enjoyed listening to it man! Great song!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
SweetenerCorp

Thanks for the crit. Listened to Arab Spies, most definatly getting a terminator vibe from this it's very 80's. It could certianly fit into the background of a film or game i suppose. It's very atmospheric i'm getting an industrial feeling from it. Wish I could give you some proper feedback but it's not my kinda stuff and I know nothing about synth things. But it sounds good and well recorded.
SweetenerCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: