Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

The Metal Blog

OK, so here is the thread to discuss the blog that has been suggested in this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss things such as the following:

- Name of the blog [suggestions welcome]
- Share username/password?
- How to create the blog (e.g., free sign-up with Wix but less customisation, Tumblr, etc) -> Tell me which one is preferred or suggest alternatives.
- Sections (recommendations, reviews [both metal and non-metal], musical analysis [lots of theory knowledge required], interviews [?], general articles)
- Maintain professional attitude and production
- Consider making an e-magazine (easy with LaTex, I can do this)
- Similar to Black Ivory Tower but more general?
- Focus on more underground music?

The members who have expressed interest in this idea and are willing to contribute are:

HaydenHohns [when available]
Fat Lard [when available]
VampireGoldfish
HoodooMan
Ironic Maiden
elatihc
severed-metal [when available]
Kytokinesis [when available]
kirkisking [when available]
Helloween4Ever
romencer17
The Virtuoso
rg_metal
supertom1

Last edited by HaydenHohns : 02-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

A free Wordpress blog with a free Zetaboards forum attached perhaps? I have no experience with either but could start researching.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Wordpress seems okay

Zetaboards has always been cool with me. It's basic but pretty okay.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Your most pressing issue is not any of the technical details, which can be worked out rather quickly, but the nature of the content of your blog:
Are you writing reviews? If so, on new releases? Old releases? Both? There are already places for that, though.

Are the topics totally arbitrary? That's likely to fail.

I'd suggest you start by developing some consensus about what exactly you want to achieve with this blog. What's the goal, precisely? Simply being an alternative to a forum is too vague.

Furthermore, isn't the solution to this problem obvious? A blog is unnecessary. What is needed is for users interested in seeing more content making contributions that promote dialogue. I should also add that it's been obvious for a long time that many people simply do not want that. I'm pretty sure every attempt I've made to promote dialogue on this forum has been met with heavy resistance. There are only a handful of users who would ever really engage ideas. Luckily, many of them appear to be among the crowd of survivors here.

Good luck.
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
Furthermore, isn't the solution to this problem obvious? A blog is unnecessary. What is needed is for users interested in seeing more content making contributions that promote dialogue. I should also add that it's been obvious for a long time that many people simply do not want that. I'm pretty sure every attempt I've made to promote dialogue on this forum has been met with heavy resistance. There are only a handful of users who would ever really engage ideas. Luckily, many of them appear to be among the crowd of survivors here.

You hit the nail on the head Anus. People talk the talk but fail to walk. I for one can endlessly talk about Music in a constructive way and am only looking for like minded individuals to kill some time every now and then.

People who support this idea should contribute here first and foremost before looking forward to some sort of expansion. Rather than plan and hope, let's see if we can get some work done here and convert that to a new platform.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

I don't really give a shit either way. Ideally I just want to see a community with some life in it. Not a corpse.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

So perhaps the consensus being that we spend our energy on this forum rather than dividing our causes?

I'm not against this idea. I like it. We don't have to abandon the idea of creating content just put more of it in this forum and put the blog on hold to save everybody time.

I will defend Hayden by saying that this was proposed when we figured all was lost for this forum and wanted the members to have a place to go to discuss things, a place where moderation was minimal, but closer to non-existent. This was not conceived after the fact, but I understand and agree with the idea NFA has proposed.

Although NFA was notorious for being off-topic, and it was not simply a matter of rejecting ideas like he will lead you to believe. But we do not have the anti-ANUS crowd anymore we had, so this might aid in more open discussion of metal topics. This is the only point of contention I have with his post and that is all I will say about it.
Your gratitude shown in my death

Cult of Fire's ČtvrtŠ Symfonie Ohně is a swell album.
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

I'm still all for the blog/website/side project still, but to give it the proper fuel it necessitates we should first focus on actually having content created for it. What better way than to test our mettle on these forums? I myself will be contributing threads and content heavily throughout the upcoming weeks to prove myself. Let us see what others can bring to the table.
an unenlightened one
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
I'm still all for the blog/website/side project still, but to give it the proper fuel it necessitates we should first focus on actually having content created for it. What better way than to test our mettle on these forums? I myself will be contributing threads and content heavily throughout the upcoming weeks to prove myself. Let us see what others can bring to the table.

I agree. This forum gives us a place to discuss the ideas that could eventually make for a bigger piece elsewhere as well, if this blog idea comes to fruition. I'm looking forward to it, and this makes me want to make more threads for lesser known bands that I've been listening to as well, maybe like a triple feature or something.

It makes me more interested in metal in general.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
So perhaps the consensus being that we spend our energy on this forum rather than dividing our causes?

There doesn't really appear to be any consensus yet, but time will tell.

Quote:
I will defend Hayden

I don't think he needs to be defended. I think everyone understands and sympathizes with his idea. I certainly do. I just felt I should point out some crucial flaws.

Quote:
Although NFA was notorious for being off-topic, and it was not simply a matter of rejecting ideas like he will lead you to believe.

I'm not gonna start a fight, but I have to address this.

First, I never implied that all antagonism towards me was a rejection of ideas. I was referring to specific instances where I, usually by creating a thread, attempted to spark some kind of discussion and was met with hostility.

Second, the antagonism I was referring to wasn't about ideas. Plenty of people are able to thoughtfully argue with me over any number of subjects. VampireGoldfish has certainly been able to do so.

Finally, I hardly think I was "notorious" for going off-topic. I will grant you that there was a period of time where I regularly came on here heavily intoxicated and intentionally said shit to mess with people. However, I rarely went total left field on a thread. You may be thinking of my activities in The Pit where I routinely injected extreme criticism at pretty much anything and everything which would often totally derail the thread.

Quote:
But we do not have the anti-ANUS crowd anymore we had, so this might aid in more open discussion of metal topics.

Well, I'm glad you agree that the hardcore anti-ANUS people (who have nothing to do with me really, since I'm not from there) were total life devouring narcissists.
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

It's not really important. That was 3 or 4 years ago. It's what I remember and you remember something different. Not really worth discussing.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #12
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

Sorry I got back to this so late, work had me swamped today. I'll do my best to address the replies correctly and concisely. I'll have more time when the weekend hits.

@Kytokinesis: Well it looks like from the others that we should get some content up first. But when you have time it would be appreciated. Chime in when you've got some results.

@NotFromANUS: You bring up some very good points, I can't cover them completely as I don't know exactly what everyone will bring but I can give my side.

I believe that Heavy Metal is a musically valid form of art and thus, believe it is worthy of musical analysis. I don't see these very often since they often require a great deal of time to prepare. I was thinking of writing one up and posting it here as a sample. I should have one up before uni begins for me. I was going to pick something by Emperor since there is already plenty of notation on UG for them. When I have more time I will transcribe some more obscure pieces and then analyse them. I would also be happy to contribute to a "Non-Metal music for the Metal Fan" section, when people need a break from Metal or seek to broaden their listening horizons. I also believe VG and severed-metal bring up some good counter-arguments in which the solution is a midway point between what I originally proposed. I think we should get some content ready on this sub-forum and then when the blog details are sorted we can translate it to that format. Also, if it makes you feel better, if you wish to engage in an intellectual discussion about Metal then I will gladly open my doors to you (and anyone here for that matter). PM or on the boards, I don't mind.

@severed-metal: Yeah, I agree, lets put the blog on hold and work on bringing some fresh discussion to this forum first. I look forward to what you have to bring.

@VampireGoldfish: Excellent points, I look forward to what you have to say in your upcoming discussions. I will also bring something together within the next week hopefully. I'm glad you're still keen for the blog, I haven't lost interest either and I hope the others are still interested.

Also, if you guys get some stuff up I can convert it to LaTex if you're curious to see the results.
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger

This sounds like a fun idea. I owe my musical life to this forum, and I'd be happy to try and contribute more to the forum and to this blog if it comes to fruition.

I'm curious though, if we make a blog, what do we want to focus on? Do we want to trace the history and development of a particular subgenre? Of metal as a whole? Or do we simply want to come up with something like a recommendation thread with reviews and such? Should we focus on mainstays in metal, or do want to do something like hidden gems, demos, and other rarities?

Just spitballing here.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Personally, I like stuff that promotes the discovery of hidden gems and the discussion of Metal as a whole. I don't necessarily mean deep philosophical discussion, but the kind of discussion we have here where we discuss the music outside "cool riff bruh." Like the conversation in the other thread about Nespithe and whatnot.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #15
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

From a readers stand point I think most people come to a blog to find new stuff to listen too so I would focus on reviews and recommendations. You can always add articles and other things as you go though. Just a thought looking forward to seeing what develops from this.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

I will be making threads on a weekly basis to be examples of what type of content I will be contributing.
an unenlightened one
Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys

Yeah, I was thinking about doing some stuff about all the rare metal I listen to, so I can totally post threads about some of my rare NWOBHM/USPM collection on here, instead of hoarding it to myself.

last.fm
Helloween4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloween4Ever
Yeah, I was thinking about doing some stuff about all the rare metal I listen to, so I can totally post threads about some of my rare NWOBHM/USPM collection on here, instead of hoarding it to myself.

fuk yes do it
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloween4Ever

I'll rival that with a journey into the Italian doom scene.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
I'll rival that with a journey into the Italian doom scene.
fuk yes do it

I can't believe I only just recently really listened to Black Hole

Rate This Thread: