Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
redwar1

E string stuck. Peg popping out. (Help)

Just stringed my guitar. low E 6th string, peg is popping out but not fully cuzz its caught somehow. I switched to martin strings and the felt at the end makes it larger at the hole. Ive tried pusing from inside out while pushing string in. I dont have any tools so I cant cut it and there brand new strings. I can play my guitar with the peg halfway popped out, it sounds normal, Will this ruin my guitar? I probably shouldn't force the pin in as hard as possible right?
redwar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Captaincranky

You're supposed to bend a hook on the end of the string you're installing, so that the ball end goes under the bridge.

Then, line the groove up toward the neck, line the string up with the groove, and push the pin in as far as it will go. (Just pressure from one finger, no tools please).

The ball end is the likely culprit for pulling the pin up, while you tune.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
redwar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
You're supposed to bend a hook on the end of the string you're installing, so that the ball end goes under the bridge.

Then, line the groove up toward the neck, line the string up with the groove, and push the pin in as far as it will go. (Just pressure from one finger, no tools please).

The ball end is the likely culprit for pulling the pin up, while you tune.

Like I said I cant remove the peg so, what are my options? Pushing the peg down with more force? PLaying it stuck out half way? Or not playing it?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

you still got that router cranky? i can cook up some c4. between the 2 we should be able to get that pesky peg to come loose. i guess he can try pushing from underneath with a quarter before he invites us over to fix it.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwar1
Like I said I cant remove the peg so, what are my options? Pushing the peg down with more force? PLaying it stuck out half way? Or not playing it?
No, release the string tension, then force the string back down the hole by grabbing it with a pair of pliers. That should release the peg.

The reason you can't move either one, is because the string ball is most likely jammed between the peg and the bridge.

You didn't get the ball far enough under the bridge when you strung the guitar.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
you still got that router cranky? i can cook up some c4. between the 2 we should be able to get that pesky peg to come loose. i guess he can try pushing from underneath with a quarter before he invites us over to fix it.
I'm torn between recommending a palm nailer, or a good old fashioned air hammer. Here, you decide:

Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
redwar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
No, release the string tension, then force the string back down the hole by grabbing it with a pair of pliers. That should release the peg.

The reason you can't move either one, is because the string ball is most likely jammed between the peg and the bridge.

You didn't get the ball far enough under the bridge when you strung the guitar.

I have 0 Tools. Like I said. Would buying a winder solve this? Or is it too stuck to pull out? Should i just buy plyers instead?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
I have 0 Tools. Like I said. Would buying a winder solve this? Or is it too stuck to pull out? Should i just buy plyers instead?
OK, string winders usually have a notch to pull the peg. BUT, if the peg is jammed too tight, sometimes the winder just spreads, and slips over the ball end of the peg.

You know, I cant envision spending or living my life without tools. In fact, some animals even use tools, albeit very crude ones. So, while I would like to tell you that tools are the only things that separate man from the animal, it simply isn't true. Sandpaper and spray guns are the only things that separate man from the animals. Now that the overarching philosophy has been addressed, let's move on.

Why don't you try a hybrid approach to the problem. Loosen (all) the strings. See if you can force the string (E-6) back into the guitar body by hand. If that doesn't work, go ahead with stepchild's suggestion. From where you are, with or without a winder, the string has to be rendered fully slack anyway.

Plus , you reap the added bonus, when you use a quarter in this capacity, it can be considered a "tool"...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

sweet ! i'll get the pot warming up !
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
sweet ! i'll get the pot warming up !
Oh rats, missionary for dinner again? We always have missionary on Wednesdays...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
terryj47

Quote:

The winder I have also has a string cutter and a peg puller. Got it from Guitar Center. $9.95. Probably a good investment for your first tool
terryj47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: