Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

With 600you could easily find a dsl combo used for around 400
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
OliOsbourne

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
From what I understand the jtm60 is kind of a meh amp, not bad, just not great. If you could squeeze for the marshall is go for it, but I understand being strapped for cash

Last DSL401 I encountered was at $380, and from what I understand, that was a ****ing steal.
OnlyTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero
With 600you could easily find a dsl combo used for around 400

Is it crazy that this person is asking $650 for the 401 combo and roadcase?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Ehh pretty much yeah
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
littlemurph7976

If your username is a reference to what I think it is, then get looking for 2nd hand Laney amps, specifically VH & GH series heads. Not sure on the availability or second hand price over in the USA, but from what they go for over here in the UK, 600 should get you a nice 2nd hand Laney head and a decent 2x12 cab.
Orange PPC212

littlemurph7976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Ippon
Amped

^ +311

VH100R - a beast from $450-500 if you're patient. I also like the Bogner Alchemist for the stuff you play.

Save a bit more so you can get a nice 212.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTwin
I was hoping one of you could list me some used ones around my area from Craigslist. Chances are you guys would do a better job at that than a person who is barely going for their first amp that isn't a practice amp. But I guess what I'm pretty much looking for is a Marshall type tone rather than a metal tone.

You mean like this?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...95&postcount=42

Didn't we already do this?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....craigslist.org
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemurph7976
If your username is a reference to what I think it is, then get looking for 2nd hand Laney amps, specifically VH & GH series heads. Not sure on the availability or second hand price over in the USA, but from what they go for over here in the UK, 600 should get you a nice 2nd hand Laney head and a decent 2x12 cab.

Yeah, Mike used a VH100r, and Durose used a GH100l, but I know the GH is a bit more affordable. I wanted to go for Durose's since I might be a single guitarist and he was the "lead" guitarist, but I REALLY loved the sound of Mike's single coil cleans as well as his heavy riffing. A good Laney would be my "dream" choice, but I couldn't really find anything Laney on Craigslist. :/
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

You know there is this thing called the internet where you can buy things, you don't have to be restricted to CL
http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1088627
It's a little over budget, and the shipping isn't actually 80 bucks if you call them
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #31
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Also, use the Look Up link in my sig to find gear. I just found this doing that.

Las Vegas isn't that far away is it? Not sure which amp he's talking about either.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3236045178.html

Here is an LC30. Not that familiar with them.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msd/3224445873.html

Here is a VC30 in LA

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...3188477934.html

Half Stack in Phoenix

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/3182473352.html

just for example
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #32
OnlyTwin

Quote:
You know there is this thing called the internet where you can buy things, you don't have to be restricted to CL
It's a little over budget, and the shipping isn't actually 80 bucks if you call them

Yeah, I'm just a bit restricted with choices since PayPal is being a bitch with me at the moment, but I would have thought buying an amp without actually trying it out would be a bit sketchy.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #33
littlemurph7976

I think if you're patient enough to find a good deal and jump on it when it comes along, you'll be fine. I also think that if you score yourself a 2nd hand Laney, you'll be really, really happy with it. Just be patient, and trawl as many sites as you can, craigslist, ebay, 2nd hand sections of guitar shop websites ...
Orange PPC212

littlemurph7976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #34
OnlyTwin

Quote:

And hold on a tick, this amp is in Stockton? D:
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #35
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

im glad somebody could help
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #36
OnlyTwin

Btw, would 100 watts be too much for someone who will only be doing house shows and small venues? I heard tube amps sound good when they're almost at their peak. And I googled "Laney VH100r combo" but nothing came up. This might be a different model mislabeled. Or wrong picture or somethin'.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash

Quote:
Btw, would 100 watts be too much for someone who will only be doing house shows and small venues? I heard tube amps sound good when they're almost at their peak. And I googled "Laney VH100r combo" but nothing came up. This might be a different model mislabeled. Or wrong picture or somethin'.

I don't know what that is, but I'm pretty sure it's not a VH100r. I don't think they come in combos. Maybe it's a VC? Call them up and tell them to fix the info. *it's probably not 100w though.

I think the VC's a good amp. Get that or the DSL.
100 watts is usually loud but you'll be able to play it at quiet volumes. I'm not sure how good it will sound, but you'll be able to get something as long as they have master volume controls.

Try to test the amps out before you buy them.
RStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:

Tube amps don't need to be played loud to sound good, I can run my 100w tube amp at bedroom levels just fine. Wattage is a measure of headroom, not volume.

I'd say a Laney VH100r would be a good choice but that picture is not showing a VH100, but a VC30.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Tube amps don't need to be played loud to sound good, I can run my 100w tube amp at bedroom levels just fine. Wattage is a measure of headroom, not volume.

I'd say a Laney VH100r would be a good choice but that picture is not showing a VH100, but a VC30.

yeah, originally I thought that it was a combo version, but with further research that doesn't exist. Don't get that one, it's a bad price.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86

+ infinity

hot rod deluxe for hard rock? No wonder you eejits think you don't like tube amps

EDIT: +1 on those laneys- GH is great if you don't need cleans much, VH is great if you do. though in america/canada they might not be the best value and there might be better value homegrown options.

311: I'm not sure the vc30 or lc30 are what he wants, I wasn't that fussed on the LC i tried, and the vc30 is very nice, but maybe a bit on the vintage side of thing.

Either is tons better than a hot rod deluxe, though- but yeah a gh or vh would be better.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: