Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #41
OnlyTwin

So, I contacted this guy and he said he would go down to $600 for the whole deal.

http://modesto.craigslist.org/msg/3240375734.html

Still a bit high on the price? I will only refrain from buying on a Laney if it's a good deal.
OnlyTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #42
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Thats not a bad deal considering it comes with a road case.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Thats not a bad deal considering it comes with a road case.

That's actually a very good deal, considering the case alone is probably at least $150.
Did you try it out? That's always a good idea when buying used (or an amp that you've never played before). The price is good as long as you are willing to pay for that case.

Just so you know, Marshalls got a new line of DSL's coming up. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.
http://marshallamps.com/product_ran...oductRangeId=34
RStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #44
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrat
That's actually a very good deal, considering the case alone is probably at least $150.
Did you try it out? That's always a good idea when buying used (or an amp that you've never played before). The price is good as long as you are willing to pay for that case.

Just so you know, Marshalls got a new line of DSL's coming up. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.
http://marshallamps.com/product_ran...oductRangeId=34

Is it worth it to have a road case or is it mostly an accessory? And is there something I should be looking for when trying the amp out? This would be my first real amp, and I could be completely oblivious to some huge problem with the amp when trying it out.

And damn. :O Any idea on when these bad boys come out? Might be worth it to just wait a bit.

Last edited by OnlyTwin : 09-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If you plan on gigging, Road Cases are a godsend on preventing physical damage to your amp. If you want to keep it in pristine condition (who wouldn't?) then the case will be worth it. Worst case scenario, you decide you don't need it and you sell it. If you can't really find a market for the case and would rather have the money than a road case sitting around, you could always take it to a pawn shop.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #46
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTwin
Is it worth it to have a road case or is it mostly an accessory? And is there something I should be looking for when trying the amp out? This would be my first real amp, and I could be completely oblivious to some huge problem with the amp when trying it out.

And damn. :O Any idea on when these bad boys come out? Might be worth it to just wait a bit.

If you plan on gigging, a road case is always good to have. If you don't, there's really no need for one. You could try asking the guy to sell the amp without the case and take some off the price or you could sell it on Ebay or something.

When you try out the amp, just make sure you like how it sounds, there are no problems that stand out, and it gets what you want at the volumes you want. If the exterior matters to you, check for dents or scratches.
Make sure you try out all the styles you play. Don't just go for one sound and then buy it.

The 2012 DSL's were announced yesterday I think. I'm not sure if there's any word of when they will be released yet. Be careful about them, though. For all I know, they could be complete crap. They're definitely priced lower than I expected.
RStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #47
OnlyTwin

So, I gots me the DSL 401 yesterday. Wanna rock the **** out on it, but I have a couple maintenance questions.

The guy I bought it off of recommended me using a power regulator(I think that's what he said?) to plug the amp into to prevent damage somehow. It was some thing that kinda looked like a rack effects processor. Is this necessary? Or would I be fine just plugging into a wall outlet?

And realizing that being a tube amp, this thing does heat up, can environment do enough damage? Chances are, I will be moved to the garage when people at my house notice how loud this thing is, and my garage can be quite hot and stuffy. Should I just stick to room jamming when not practicing with a band?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #48
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

neither is necessary ...now plug that thing in and rock the **** out

Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #49
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Looking forward to a new amp day! Sweet amp indeed. I keep trying to find a reason to get one other than I want one I just don't think I could justify it. Still, great grab!

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #50
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Looking forward to a new amp day! Sweet amp indeed. I keep trying to find a reason to get one other than I want one I just don't think I could justify it. Still, great grab!

Same here!

TS, Do me a HUGE favor, and follow these directions:

1. Turn the amp's Gain to 0
2. Turn all of the Volume knobs to 10
3. Use the Gain as your volume knob.
4. Turn that Mother F***** up until it's cranked and the power tubes are juicing tone out of them
5. Play the sickest, sweetest licks you can think of (preferably something with some bluesiness to it)
6. Eargasm

That right there is basically why I want to get a DSL401. Gary Moore. 'Nuff Said.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: